Place your bets...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 11:21 AM
RE: Place your bets...
Um yeah. Further clarification: it seems like maybe you're worried that censorship is taking place before people actually become members of the forum - i.e. that the threads are vetted for content before being approved. This is not the case, in fact all that had happened was that KC had noticed the vitriolic nature of the person's intro post, and had asked for admin guidance before approving. I was not in a state that I shoulda been operating a keyboard yesterday eve, and I approved without considering that admins were putting some thought into what was the best approach. Subsequently Scot checked IPs and found that the user was a previously banned user trying to sockpuppet, so without further ceremony the asshat was introduced to the boot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks, MD.

But that's not it.

No problem with previously banned users being scrutinised.

Although having said that, I would probably do as you did and let them in, to see if they had decided to clean up their act.
But that's by and by.

In this case, I was wondering about the early sequence of events as I had only noticed, I dunno, maybe the second or third sock-puppet.

Also, because I'm not overly savvy with this kinda stuff, is sock-puppetry when one has two or more simultaneous accounts ... as opposed to the above i.e. consecutive accounts (or is that sock-puppetry too)?

But my bigger question is... what was the first banning for (because I missed that bit completely)? If sock-puppetry (if defined as two or more simultaneous accounts) then fair enough, that's against stated rules (although it obviously discriminates against people with multiple personality disorders Smile ) but if it's a case of consecutive 're-entries' then the first one must have been a banning for some other reason.

And if the latter, what was the reason?

The seeming reluctance to update the Forum Members Banned thread has confused me and piqued my curiosity.

That's about all, really.

18-05-2013, 12:23 PM
(18-05-2013 11:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks, MD.

But that's not it.

No problem with previously banned users being scrutinised.

Although having said that, I would probably do as you did and let them in, to see if they had decided to clean up their act.
But that's by and by.

In this case, I was wondering about the early sequence of events as I had only noticed, I dunno, maybe the second or third sock-puppet.

Also, because I'm not overly savvy with this kinda stuff, is sock-puppetry when one has two or more simultaneous accounts ... as opposed to the above i.e. consecutive accounts (or is that sock-puppetry too)?

But my bigger question is... what was the first banning for (because I missed that bit completely)? If sock-puppetry (if defined as two or more simultaneous accounts) then fair enough, that's against stated rules (although it obviously discriminates against people with multiple personality disorders Smile ) but if it's a case of consecutive 're-entries' then the first one must have been a banning for some other reason.

And if the latter, what was the reason?

The seeming reluctance to update the Forum Members Banned thread has confused me and piqued my curiosity.

That's about all, really.

My understanding of sock puppetry is that it's the creation of another account for the purpose of self aggrandizement, to express a largely unpopular opinion/insult(s) or to circumvent a ban.

A lot of forum owners/moderators use second accounts so they can express their own opinions without those opinions being seen as that of the particular forum writ large. That's not sock puppeting. While it is deceptive, it's not nefarious by default.

My opinion on the latter is... I is what I is. I have a news aggregating site that I started with five other owners. Only two of us don't use alternate user accounts. Consequently, we're also the only two who aren't inclined toward deleting comments or banning users for personal conflicts so... go figure.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks bb,

So you are saying it was Seth? or KC? or Erx... who has gone missing for 5 days?
Would someone please check the library and see if Colonel Mustard is there with a lead pipe? Thanks.

I don't think you should use expressions like "I is what I is" with Muffsy around... he'll think you are a puppet for 'I and I'. Smile
Seems like you could do some 'integrity' related analysis regarding your partners. That's kinda intriguing.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-05-2013, 01:03 PM
(18-05-2013 12:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks bb,

So you are saying it was Seth? or KC? or Erx... who has gone missing for 5 days?
Would someone please check the library and see if Colonel Mustard is there with a lead pipe? Thanks.

I don't think you should use expressions like "I is what I is" with Muffsy around... he'll think you are a puppet for 'I and I'. Smile
Seems like you could do some 'integrity' related analysis regarding your partners. That's kinda intriguing.

LOL. You're right... I should choose my words wisely.

As for that last part... done did it. The site is now dormant and I'm in the process of deciding whether it's worth it to remove them from the company and start again. Consider

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
18-05-2013, 01:41 PM
It's an interesting case, he doesn't last long nor does he try to hide who he is when he makes a new account. That's not successful trolling, unless he's trying to troll the mods by continually making accounts, but one would assume that has limited appeal if you get shot down so quickly.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post