Poll: Do the churches sell out or stay?
Stay
Sell out
Hold services in the new stadium
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Placing All Bets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 08:14 AM by Full Circle.)
Placing All Bets
Atlanta - the Falcons football team needs more land, two historical (hysterical) churches and their congregations stand in the way.

What happens when an immovable object (the churches) meets an unstoppable force (football and $)?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/us/in-...wanted=all

“You’re going to disrupt two churches, two houses of worship and prayer, for someone to play ball?” Juanita Jones Abernathy said before a recent service. “It doesn’t make sense.”

After a recent service, many said they were resigned to the fact that the church would move. A church, they said, is made up of its people and not a building.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2013, 08:36 AM
RE: Placing All Bets
(22-04-2013 08:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Atlanta - the Falcons football team needs more land, two historical (hysterical) churches and their congregations stand in the way.

What happens when an immovable object (the churches) meets an unstoppable force (football and $)?

“You’re going to disrupt two churches, two houses of worship and prayer, for someone to play ball?” Juanita Jones Abernathy said before a recent service. “It doesn’t make sense.”

After a recent service, many said they were resigned to the fact that the church would move. A church, they said, is made up of its people and not a building.

Well ultimately if the city of Atlanta pulls imminent domain there is legally nothing the churches can do. Also lets be real here the real religion in American is money and football=money.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
22-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Money is what makes the world spin. Drinking Beverage

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
22-04-2013, 11:22 AM
(22-04-2013 08:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 08:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Atlanta - the Falcons football team needs more land, two historical (hysterical) churches and their congregations stand in the way.

Well ultimately if the city of Atlanta pulls imminent domain there is legally nothing the churches can do. Also lets be real here the real religion in American is money and football=money.

Eminent domain.

And that's a stretch, but money and f'ball talk.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2013, 11:46 AM
(22-04-2013 11:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 08:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well ultimately if the city of Atlanta pulls imminent domain there is legally nothing the churches can do. Also lets be real here the real religion in American is money and football=money.

Eminent domain.

The area I live in used that to build a walmart so...

22-04-2013, 11:49 AM
(22-04-2013 11:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Eminent domain.

The area I live in used that to build a walmart so...

Yes, that happens. Abuse of power, travesty of justice, and so forth. Angry

22-04-2013, 11:53 AM
(22-04-2013 11:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The area I live in used that to build a walmart so...

Yes, that happens. Abuse of power, travesty of justice, and so forth. Angry

Yeah so thats why I'm putting my money on the business that made Billions last year over a couple of churches.

22-04-2013, 11:59 AM
(22-04-2013 11:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, that happens. Abuse of power, travesty of justice, and so forth. Angry

Yeah so thats why I'm putting my money on the business that made Billions last year over a couple of churches.

I'd sure like to see them stand firm - epic battle, money vs. religion. Thumbsup

It's a no win for all concerned.Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Aren't most football fans religious about it? I don't see why there should be a conflict.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
22-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I think they'll sell at a godly premium and justify it to the congregation by promising nicer digs. Some of the premium will be siphoned off by the pastor, this will come to light and he'll end up doing time for embezzlement, the new church will end up with building problems because of corners being cut in the construction. Meanwhile the Falcons will continue to play mediocre football.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post