Planetary god vs universal god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Planetary god vs universal god
It was mentioned in the scale of the universe thread that god came down to the mountain as if he was the KING of the mountain.

Back then, a mountain was the largest, most visible thing in their minds.
In the light of what WE know, it is less than a speck on a speck, which is resting on a speck, with 27 magnitudes of specks above it.

The scale of this universe is just about beyond what I can truly comprehend. I can't comprehend a billion galaxies, each one containing billions of stars and each star, more than likely containing planets.
Now take all of that and you've only got about 04% of the total universe. 73% Dark energy & 23% Dark matter (and these terms are roughly equivalent to the early greeks calling the cosmos, Aether )

When I think about a planetary god, just a god watching over a planet and that's all he or she does, that's still a very tiny tiny amount of magical power compared to the universe. And really that's all your god is in your mind. It's a planetary god, only concerned with this planet and the creatures on it.

So when you compare a planetary god to a universal god, the scale is ...well, off the scale.
A universal god wouldn't have a clue that we were even alive, let alone CARE about some speck in the universe with life on it.

So the next time you think about the kind of god, you have set in your mind, is it a planetary god or a universal god ?
If a planetary god can do EVERYTHING you want a god to do, then what more do you need ?

Why do you NEED your god to be infinitely powerful when it only requires a finite amount of power to look after the people on earth ? or even less power when you ignore everything.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 05:28 PM by childeye.)
RE: Planetary god vs universal god
(09-09-2013 04:50 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It was mentioned in the scale of the universe thread that god came down to the mountain as if he was the KING of the mountain.

Back then, a mountain was the largest, most visible thing in their minds.
In the light of what WE know, it is less than a speck on a speck, which is resting on a speck, with 27 magnitudes of specks above it.

The scale of this universe is just about beyond what I can truly comprehend. I can't comprehend a billion galaxies, each one containing billions of stars and each star, more than likely containing planets.
Now take all of that and you've only got about 04% of the total universe. 73% Dark energy & 23% Dark matter (and these terms are roughly equivalent to the early greeks calling the cosmos, Aether )

When I think about a planetary god, just a god watching over a planet and that's all he or she does, that's still a very tiny tiny amount of magical power compared to the universe. And really that's all your god is in your mind. It's a planetary god, only concerned with this planet and the creatures on it.

So when you compare a planetary god to a universal god, the scale is ...well, off the scale.
A universal god wouldn't have a clue that we were even alive, let alone CARE about some speck in the universe with life on it.

So the next time you think about the kind of god, you have set in your mind, is it a planetary god or a universal god ?
If a planetary god can do EVERYTHING you want a god to do, then what more do you need ?

Why do you NEED your god to be infinitely powerful when it only requires a finite amount of power to look after the people on earth ? or even less power when you ignore everything.
The problem is the god of your imagination is not real in any comprehensive sense. Any true God according to the term meaning ultimate power or Godhead, would obviously had made not only the universe but all else that we do not even know about outside the universe. This universe may be likened to only one book amongst many books upon God's shelf for all we know. We can only comprehend in whatever limited way we are able to. Hence the term God should always be viewed with the realization of this handicap. The atheist mind just can't seem to quite defining god as superstition, which of course nobody who truly believes in God could ever actually believe in either. The fact is we all come from something and we are more than just molecules when asked who we are.
09-09-2013, 05:39 PM
[Image: CReevesS.jpg] VS. [Image: 10th.jpg]

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
09-09-2013, 05:43 PM
(09-09-2013 05:39 PM)I Am Wrote:  [Image: CReevesS.jpg] VS. [Image: 10th.jpg]
This post makes my point exquisitely. An atheist makes up his own god or gods whom he doesn't believe in, nor do I.
09-09-2013, 06:28 PM
(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is the god of your imagination is not real in any comprehensive sense. Any true God according to the term meaning ultimate power or Godhead, would obviously had made not only the universe but all else that we do not even know about outside the universe. This universe may be likened to only one book amongst many books upon God's shelf for all we know. We can only comprehend in whatever limited way we are able to. Hence the term God should always be viewed with the realization of this handicap. The atheist mind just can't seem to quite defining god as superstition, which of course nobody who truly believes in God could ever actually believe in either. The fact is we all come from something and we are more than just molecules when asked who we are.

So you define God as ultimately unknowable. Fine, I'll go with that for a moment, because a moment is all it takes to get to the end of that argument.

If God is unknowable, that It's will can't possibly be communicated to us limited beings. So no testament of God is adequate to get It's will across. Also, there's no reason at all to accept ANY religion's version of God, and we can reject any version that a limited being can understand. Even talking about God becomes worse than useless, because if we come to understand something from our conversation, we necessarily have created a false, limited version of the unknowable. So EVERY WORD ever said or written about God has been counterproductive. If you prefer a God that's impossible to talk about, rather than a superstition we can study and understand, fine, but you'd best hush about It then.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
09-09-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 07:10 PM by childeye.)
(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is the god of your imagination is not real in any comprehensive sense. Any true God according to the term meaning ultimate power or Godhead, would obviously had made not only the universe but all else that we do not even know about outside the universe. This universe may be likened to only one book amongst many books upon God's shelf for all we know. We can only comprehend in whatever limited way we are able to. Hence the term God should always be viewed with the realization of this handicap. The atheist mind just can't seem to quite defining god as superstition, which of course nobody who truly believes in God could ever actually believe in either. The fact is we all come from something and we are more than just molecules when asked who we are.

Quote:So you define God as ultimately unknowable. Fine, I'll go with that for a moment, because a moment is all it takes to get to the end of that argument.
Respectfully, I did not exactly say that God is unknowable. I admit I am proposing that we are limited in our comprehension as to the whole of what His material substance is comprised of or even the implications of His existence beyond us. But also I am suggesting that to know Him is to love Him. It is a Character issue of knowing Him that is the essential point of personifying God. There I believe we can know Him generally speaking. I would ask you to consider if you are ultimately knowable or unknowable. Is anyone? It is a complex question for us. Hence we are either ultimately going to believe in someone or we are not. Here the term faith is about trust of character. I have no doubt God exists since I apply the term God as an ultimate absolute.

Quote:If God is unknowable, that It's will can't possibly be communicated to us limited beings. So no testament of God is adequate to get It's will across. Also, there's no reason at all to accept ANY religion's version of God, and we can reject any version that a limited being can understand. Even talking about God becomes worse than useless, because if we come to understand something from our conversation, we necessarily have created a false, limited version of the unknowable. So EVERY WORD ever said or written about God has been counterproductive. If you prefer a God that's impossible to talk about, rather than a superstition we can study and understand, fine, but you'd best hush about It then.
You make some fine points about talking about God. However, despite our misrepresentations and false imagery of God, even our misapplication of the term "God", still we have no choice but to seek what is the Truth of our existence lest we remain ignorant of who we are.
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 07:21 PM by Mr Woof.)
(09-09-2013 06:28 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is the god of your imagination is not real in any comprehensive sense.

................................................................................​......................................
This is a problem; our cosmic intuitions can virtually be anywhere and essentially v only relate to our accrued understanding and moral convictions as secular beings.
................................................................................​........................................

Any true God according to the term meaning ultimate power or Godhead, would obviously had made not only the universe but all else that we do not even know about outside the universe. This universe may be likened to only one book amongst many books upon God's shelf for all we know. We can only comprehend in whatever limited way we are able to. Hence the term God should always be viewed with the realization of this handicap.

Sorry, think I mixed up the formatting a bit.......Huh
................................................................................​...................................
I agree, a very rigid handicap appears to exist. Any aims at transcending moves religious apologists to claim that they are expressing a perfect will.
Clearly the huge diversity of opinion makes a mockery of this.
................................................................................​......................................

The atheist mind just can't seem to quite defining god as superstition, which of course nobody who truly believes in God could ever actually believe in either. The fact is we all come from something and we are more than just molecules when asked who we are.

................................................................................​.....................................
An ultimate non dualistic force through which we move and some how? create in order to engage ever higher(and lower) spheres of existence may be one way of looking at things.
................................................................................​.....................

So you define God as ultimately unknowable. Fine, I'll go with that for a moment, because a moment is all it takes to get to the end of that argument.
If God is unknowable, that It's will can't possibly be communicated to us limited beings. So no testament of God is adequate to get It's will across. Also, there's no reason at all to accept ANY religion's version of God, and we can reject any version that a limited being can understand. Even talking about God becomes worse than useless, because if we come to understand something from our conversation, we necessarily have created a false, limited version of the unknowable. So EVERY WORD ever said or written about God has been counterproductive. If you prefer a God that's impossible to talk about, rather than a superstition we can study and understand, fine, but you'd best hush about It then.

Within all scripture, as well as non scripture it might be suggest there are messages to engage, but not simple one line directives. In other words varying values may come from our interaction with seemingly conflicting views, not any placid thoughtless acceptance of such .
................................................................................​...................
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Rahn,

You've missed out a few options.

The Greek gods weren't even on the planetary scale, they tended to be limited to attributes.

Even the monotheist gods are limited to the middle east (or there would have been kangaroos on the ark).

Credit to childeye ... nailed it:

(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  ...
the god of your imagination

That's the true limitation of all and any gods.

[Image: fred-eerdekens-god-ego-1990.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is the god of your imagination is not real in any comprehensive sense.

As opposed to the god of your imagination?

(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  The fact is we all come from something...

Except God, because LOOK, A DISTRACTION.

(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  ... and we are more than just molecules when asked who we are.

Axiomatic and irrelevant.

... this is my signature!
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 07:19 PM by childeye.)
(09-09-2013 07:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Rahn,

You've missed out a few options.

The Greek gods weren't even on the planetary scale, they tended to be limited to attributes.

Even the monotheist gods are limited to the middle east (or there would have been kangaroos on the ark).

Credit to childeye ... nailed it:

(09-09-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  ...
the god of your imagination

That's the true limitation of all and any gods.

If the term "God" is understood properly, there must be a God. That is why the atheistic reasoning always ends in hypocrisy. They imagine the God of no gods. Politics are inevitable.