Planets alignment and their influence on human behavior

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 04:13 AM by Hafnof.)
RE: Natal chart
(26-05-2013 03:45 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 03:06 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 02:31 AM)Luminon Wrote:  What if it isn't conclusion? What if it's observation and hypothesis?
So do you have a hypothesis? Do you have a falsifiable claim to make, and how do you intend to rigorously test your claim?
Did I make a claim?
Science doesn't care if the world is material or dualist, or something else. Science cares about whether your ideas make testable predictions, and whether you have tested those predictions rigorously. I'm not a materialist or a dualist because I don't know what those things could possibly mean in a scientific sense. Science deals with hypotheses and testing. Even in a dualist (or many layered) world science can make predictions and test those predictions so long as those layers interact with a reality we also interact with. Spirits and demons? Ghosts and goblins? Universal unconsciousness? People claim to interact with those things, so let's see your hypotheses and test them.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Here's real science:

Confirmation Bias and Evolutionary Pattern Seeking Behavior. Nothing that astrological woo has to offer cannot be explained much more simply with confirmation bias. Occam tells us to slice off all the excess woo. Simple explanations FTW!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-05-2013, 04:51 AM
(26-05-2013 04:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Science doesn't care if the world is material or dualist, or something else. Science cares about whether your ideas make testable predictions, and whether you have tested those predictions rigorously. I'm not a materialist or a dualist because I don't know what those things could possibly mean in a scientific sense. Science deals with hypotheses and testing. Even in a dualist (or many layered) world science can make predictions and test those predictions so long as those layers interact with a reality we also interact with. Spirits and demons? Ghosts and goblins? Universal unconsciousness? People claim to interact with those things, so let's see your hypotheses and test them.
I do have a few guesses, based on electric and magnetic properties of the body, that I could possibly demonstrate. Specially magnetoencephalography, I believe I could demonstrate some anomalous observations. Maybe EEG would do for a beginning, but I'm not so sure about that.
Nothing is guaranteed in this world, but it seems to me I get clearer neurologic phenomena to measure as the time goes, not less. It would certainly make an interesting holiday, but I see no way yet how to make taxpayers pay for it.
26-05-2013, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 11:50 AM by GirlyMan.)
Frufru Woowoo mistaking Hugh Laurie for Stephen Fry.

(24-05-2013 07:52 AM)Filox Wrote:  If you are SO interested in my chart, I was described as intelligent, leader, strong sense of justice, good health and so on... Cool

Now, please, some input...

Frufru Woowoo: Did I say you had a good sense of humor I think I did.
Fry: Hands up in this audience who think they have not got a sense of humor.

Hands up in the forum who think they are not intelligent, not a good leader, and don't have a strong sense of justice.

(24-05-2013 08:21 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  These things tend to work by making generalised statements that could cover a vast amount of people so as to give the appearance of a prediction. For example "you try to keep a cool head but on occasion can be quick to anger" Covers just about everyone ever.

(24-05-2013 10:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While they sound very specific they're totally vague enough to fit in with most people. And...you tend to dismiss parts that aren't true in favor of those that resonate with you. In fact it on a whole just needs to resonate.

Randi: Well Jonathan it doesn't seem that Hugh and Stephen are entirely convinced of your reading and, even more interesting, many people in our audience tonight thought that it could be them as well. What explanation could there be for that do you think?

Frufru Woowoo: A very simple one that of course what we're testing here is my ability to communicate. And of course you must understand in the newspapers I specialize in saying things that do apply to a lot of people at once.

(Huh ... then why the fuck you need my date, time and place of birth then. Those seem pretty specific. Blink )

Randi: Well from my experience readings in newspapers are very general and perhaps that's why in America some of them now carry a health warning which makes it clear they're for entertainment purposes only. Thank you Jonathan for taking part.

(Ah, the obligatory FDA Black Box warning to avoid litigation.)

(24-05-2013 11:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My husband went for a conference about fMRI, hubby said it was pretty cool. Smile
(he does CT scans now, but used to do MRI and other stuff (fluoroscopy - cardiac cath)

They are doing some woo-like shit with functional MRIs. Difference is, it ain't woo, it's neuroscience. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-05-2013, 01:35 PM

I didn't even know this post existed! I'm going to have to read through it. I've only read the OP thus far, and I have to walk my dogs and go write a daily horoscope then get ready for work. At least it's my Friday---ho!

I do want to give a big thumbs up to Filox, though, for having the guts to come out and say what he said. Because of my rules regarding confidentiality, I can't participate in this string, nor can I confirm or deny anything Filox says, but I will read it.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 02:37 PM
This thread still hasn't been moved?

Time to man up, admit you are wrong, and move it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2013, 02:51 PM

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2013, 03:22 PM
(25-05-2013 09:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that's what happens when you insert woo in the Science forum.Drinking Beverage

Sort of a coffee enema.

Luminon Wrote:Uranus - revolution, explosion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
26-05-2013, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 04:15 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-05-2013 08:02 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The gravitational influence of the planet Jupiter on your body, is less than the gravitational influence of a semitrailer down the block. It is completely lost in the background noise of everyday life. The other planets have even less effect. And gravity works on all particles in your body equally; if Jupiter causes one particle to move by a tenth of a femtometer, then every other particle in your body will be affected a proportional amount. Any astrological woo that tries to use the gravitational influence of planets as an excuse for anything is so full of shit it probably goes "squelch" when it walks.

A few weeks ago, I posted the formula for the gravitational influence of one mass on another. As you say, the mass of a truck driving by, would have more influence on you than Jupiter, as the formula is proportional to 1/radius of the distance, squared. That's one, divided by the radius of the distance, squared.

The mass of a truck divided by a few meters is about 800 kg/(10m)^2.
The closest Jupiter ever is, is 628 million killometers. It weighs 1.8986×1027 kg.

The formula for the attraction of one mass upon another is :
F = (G x m1 x m2)/r^2
G = 6.673×10-11 N m2 kg-2

Do the math.
Proportionally the truck exerts a force of 8,
vs a force of
1.949 x 10^3 kg / 6.28 x 10^10.
1000 divided by 10 billion.
Effectively zero.
The truck going by on the street exerts a far far far greater force than the most massive planet.

As you can easily see, astrology is complete and utter bunk.
Bullshit. Pure and simple 100 % crap.
Why not look for reasonable explanations .. like seasonal effects on hormone balance, or something rational ?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fea...-life.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Gosh Bucky...when you say 'do the math', I get faint.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post