Planets alignment and their influence on human behavior

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: Natal chart
"Is there any possibility of a real scientific basis for astrology?" is a real question. "Is it possible for distant astronomical objects to have non-negligible effects on us? is a real question.

Of course, a quick "no" would have sufficed for an answer.

(27-05-2013 10:11 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We need a "Some people think this is bullshit" forum.

Yeah, but some people thing everything is bullshit.

So clearly we need fewer sections. Just one big ol' "some people think this is bullshit" all-in-one. I foresee no problems at all developing from that (don't worry, I checked my astrology!).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2013, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 02:56 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
Re: Natal chart
I I have a friend who swears she saw a psychic who knew things about her that no one else knew and that she must be correct. The same woman "predicted" her future but my friend couldn't tell us what she said because it would alter her future. Her (and your expiernece) aren't testable. That would require some set of hypotheses beforehand to test the predictions to.

In any event, several questions arise for me.

Is this phenomenon relegated to humans only? If so, why? If not then

Can we test animals for these similarities? Animals from the same litter should be essentially identical in their personality.

Is this phenomenon restricted to biological organisms? If so, why? If not then

Can the growth of crystals be altered by it? Is ocean or soil chemistry affected? These should all be testable too.

When framed like this, I think it makes it easier to see why it is either BS, or not testable and not falsifiable and therefore not verifiable.

As for your chart, look at it from a statistical standpoint. "Personal" parts of the story aren't all that difficult to predict and when things seem "too personal" the reaction is exactly what you had, not to talk about it. These are either embarrassing events, times of shame, guilt, or humiliation, or reveal something about yourself you would rather not say. We all have those things in our past too. And most likely, very similar ones, but no one talks about those, except anonymously.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-05-2013, 03:43 PM
If you want to look at things that could have influenced you before or during your birth, look at things that can be observed.
Off the top of my head, maybe you should also look at the period at which you were conceived, carried and birthed.

Let's try something, tell me if this makes any sense.
If you were born in the winter, you were conceived during the spring and grown during the summer and fall, your mother would probably have eaten lighter foods than during winter, have gotten more sunlight (and vitamin D) and fresh air. During the summer she might have gotten lots of musquitobites, toxins that would have been introduced into the entire body.

While if you are born in the summer, you will have been conceived in the fall and grown during the winter and spring. Your mother will have seen far less sun and have eaten hartier, more energyrich foods.
Through these different patterns you will have gotten completely different nourishment and will have developed completely different, which could measurably have influenced what you would have become.

Your fetal-self and the woman that carried you would, however, have not at all been influenced by the alignment of some planetary bodies millions of miles away.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
27-05-2013, 03:49 PM
And! Everybody born on my birthdate is madly in love with Gwyneth Paltrow... Dodgy

I mean, it's just ridiculous. Filox, you asked for this stuff, you were open to believe in it, and.... surprise! Egor said he was experienced in this baloney, now you just got experienced. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 12:34 AM
(27-05-2013 03:43 PM)Caveman Wrote:  If you want to look at things that could have influenced you before or during your birth, look at things that can be observed.
Off the top of my head, maybe you should also look at the period at which you were conceived, carried and birthed.

If you were born in the winter, you were conceived during the spring and grown during the summer and fall, your mother would probably have eaten lighter foods than during winter, have gotten more sunlight (and vitamin D) and fresh air. During the summer she might have gotten lots of musquitobites, toxins that would have been introduced into the entire body.

While if you are born in the summer, you will have been conceived in the fall and grown during the winter and spring. Your mother will have seen far less sun and have eaten hartier, more energyrich foods.
Through these different patterns you will have gotten completely different nourishment and will have developed completely different, which could measurably have influenced what you would have become.

Your fetal-self and the woman that carried you would, however, have not at all been influenced by the alignment of some planetary bodies millions of miles away.

Yes, I had the same thoughts, unfortunately, Chas has made this thread unusable, so thank you for your answer, but it is time to let this thread die, no point discussing it anymore.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
28-05-2013, 06:38 AM
(28-05-2013 12:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 03:43 PM)Caveman Wrote:  If you want to look at things that could have influenced you before or during your birth, look at things that can be observed.

Yes, I had the same thoughts, unfortunately, Chas has made this thread unusable, so thank you for your answer, but it is time to let this thread die, no point discussing it anymore.

No, Jamie did that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-05-2013, 06:48 AM
(24-05-2013 11:29 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  To any Moderator who happens to be awake:
Please move this thread to the bullshit forum. Drinking Beverage

You're rather crotchety today.

*fixt.

Oh, and Lumi? Plasma isn't "dark." Sillyface. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-05-2013, 12:04 PM
RE: Planet alignments and it's influence on human behavior
Changing the title only made it worse. And it's "their," not "its." And "it's" is totally fucking wrong. Tongue

Fucking Filox... gets the I&I nomination for totally dragging this sub-forum into the gutter. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-05-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: Planet alignments and it's influence on human behavior
(28-05-2013 12:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Changing the title only made it worse. And it's "their," not "its." And "it's" is totally fucking wrong. Tongue

Then the title should be:
Planets alignment and their influence... blah blah...

Hey!!
We should have a forum section named:

"Correct English Spelling"

C'mon mods, go for it!!!

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
29-05-2013, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 02:52 AM by Luminon.)
(28-05-2013 06:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  *fixt.

Oh, and Lumi? Plasma isn't "dark." Sillyface. Big Grin
Plasma is a lot like women - most of the shiny ones are very hot and dense. Smile
But it doesn't have to be visible or even anywhere in visible light spectrum.

There is a scientist in Belgium who can make a simple plasma reactor in a plastic bottle.
Anyway, Google search of dark matter radio signals turns out about 4 million results. For example this:
http://io9.com/5873373/is-dark-matter-re...the-galaxy
One day we might detect this: http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.1881

The possibilities, man, the possibilities! Big Grin It's the fun part of science.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post