Planned Parenthood is profitting off baby parts!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Planned Parenthood is profitting off baby parts!!!
So I've been discussing on facebook the latest anti-choice video I'm sure some of you are aware of:

The video has been getting some major backing behind it from conservatives. Politicians hoping to get the vote are coming out against it.

Of course these Planned Parenthood sting operation videos have a track history of dishonesty. The latest, it seems, is no exception. And thankfully the debunkers took action:

Video by Young Turks
Media Matters article: 7 Things Media Should Know About The Third Undercover Attempt To Smear Planned Parenthood
New York Times: The Propaganda Campaign to Misrepresent Planned Parenthood

Of course, I got a response. Thankfully from one of the smarter conservatives on my friends list. But still. While I definitely wouldn't call him stupid, I encouraged him to investigate matters for himself (especially since admittedly I provided sources that conservatives view as "liberal"). He insists that Planned Parenthood is indeed involved in illegal sales of fetal tissue for profit, despite the claims to the contrary. He claims he did view the unedited versions of the tapes, and still... well... this is what he said:

Michael, they released the complete unedited version of the video along with the edited version. This is really the only part of your post I am troubled by. The 'heavily edited' video lie is being trumpeted far and wide, but repeating a lie loud and often doesn't keep it from being a lie.
In answer to your other questions, it is illegal to sell fetal baby parts without consent, so black market may be a little far, but legality is a reasonable question. PP is most definitely profiting off of sale of baby parts, which is also illegal.

So how would you respond to this?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
30-07-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: Planned Parenthood is profitting off baby parts!!!
God what a sad waste of food by them..

They've got to get funding somehow

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
30-07-2015, 02:08 PM
http://stemexpress.com/partnerships/

There is definitely money to be made. Im not saying that all people who partner with stemexpress are selling fetal parts, as there are many other ways of getting cells from pregnant women through blood etc, however the site does sell fetal liver cells so they must be getting them from somewhere (im no expert though... obviously)

In PP's official video statement they said they do not profit, they never said they dont sell them. As long as the client is fully informed of what happens to the fetal matter, that it might be sold on and they agree to it. I see no problem. Its only a problem if they are led to believe it will be incinerated or that they want a funeral.... and they sell part/some/all of it.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
30-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I read, but admit I did not see it confirmed anywhere, that PP was only recovering the costs of the processing and shipping and there was no profit at all. For some people, I'm sure that doesn't make it any better. But, I do think the statement that they are definitely doing this for profit is dubious. I dont think you can automatically take PP's word for it, but an independent audit would be able to resolve the question pretty easily. That none of the elected officials who are screaming about this have suggested such an action makes me suspect that they know how an audit would turn out. Or, maybe there is just no political gain in being reasonable.

PP provides important health services to women in areas where they have few other options. It would be a tragedy if it were shut down due to a deliberate act of sabotage that went out of its way to obfuscate the truth. A vote on its funding should not be taken under these circumstances. You want to spend some time looking into what the truth is and then take action as necessary? Fair enough, and let the chips fall where they made. If PP broke the law, they should be held accountable. But, to do it like this isn't right. Real people will be impacted. And, I guarantee you that the politicians trying to defund PP do not give a flying fuck about the women who will lose much needed health services.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
30-07-2015, 05:55 PM
You can tell we are really fucked as a species - when the same people that rant and rave about "puppy mills" churning out dogs - want to limit procreative planning for humans so we can crank out babies like popcorn......................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-07-2015, 05:58 PM
(30-07-2015 05:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You can tell we are really fucked as a species - when the same people that rant and rave about "puppy mills" churning out dogs - want to limit procreative planning for humans so we can crank out babies like popcorn......................

I've mentioned before that I'm heavily involved with a dog rescue and there is a woman in our rescue who totally fits that description. I mean, you just nailed her perfectly.

I'm going to save that one for when my wife isn't around to punch me for saying something rude, because for a 5'2" woman, my wife can seriously punch!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-07-2015, 06:15 PM
As an observer from outside of the US I do find it sad that this is being used for political purposes. Most of the articles I have seen and read seem to be centered on the agenda, which of course is important in providing context to the whole picture, but it diverts from the real actual issue they are being accused of (a non profit organisation allegedly making a profit)

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
30-07-2015, 06:43 PM
[Image: 1106144.jpg]

[+] 12 users Like Escape Artist's post
31-07-2015, 07:14 AM
(30-07-2015 06:43 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  [Image: 1106144.jpg]

Laugh out load

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
03-08-2015, 12:38 PM
The Red Cross has been selling donated blood to hospitals for years.

I have a question. Are the fetal cells used for research? I know umbilical cords are donated to help leukemia patients and various other diseases. It saves lives.

When I went in for my septoplasty and had my deviated septum straightened, some tissue was removed and I was asked if I wanted to donate any of my tissue for research. I sure as hell did. I don't know if they sell the tissue but I don't particularly care. If it can be used for science I'm all for it.

I know everyone gets all in a dither because it's fetal tissue and it's being sold but would people be in a better mood if it was simply donated? Or would they be happier if it's just thrown out?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post