Planned Parenthood is profitting off baby parts!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Planned Parenthood is profitting off baby parts!!!
PP is not making a profit from selling fetal organs. They are only recovering costs.

This video is highly and selectively edited. It's rubbish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jockmcdock's post
04-08-2015, 02:49 AM
(03-08-2015 02:42 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  PP is not making a profit from selling fetal organs. They are only recovering costs.

This video is highly and selectively edited. It's rubbish.

You can call it recovering costs, someone else can call it profiting. What they are doing is generating revenue by selling fetal organs.
04-08-2015, 02:54 AM
Why would this be a problem if true that medical research corporations are getting more tissues for data and testing and the services are being able to be funded?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-08-2015, 04:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 04:08 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(04-08-2015 02:54 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why would this be a problem if true that medical research corporations are getting more tissues for data and testing and the services are being able to be funded?

If Planned Parenthood is generating revenue off selling fetal body parts, that creates an incentive for them to encourage women to get an abortion instead of say encouraging women to give their babies up for adoption.

From a strictly business standpoint, it would be to their advantage to encourage women to have abortion if selling the body parts covered all their variable costs of providing that abortion. Covering your variable cost is kinda a big thing in operating a business.

I haven't seen the videos but from some stuff I read, it sounds like planned parenthood was trying to maximize revenues obtained by selling the human body parts. If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to find out they were also encouraging women to have abortions.
04-08-2015, 04:23 AM
(04-08-2015 04:02 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If Planned Parenthood is generating revenue off selling fetal body parts, that creates an incentive for them to encourage women to get an abortion instead of say encouraging women to give their babies up for adoption.

From a strictly business standpoint, it would be to their advantage to encourage women to have abortion if selling the body parts covered all their variable costs of providing that abortion. Covering your variable cost is kinda a big thing in operating a business.

I haven't seen the videos but from some stuff I read, it sounds like planned parenthood was trying to maximize revenues obtained by selling the human body parts. If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to find out they were also encouraging women to have abortions.

Just two points.

1) The constant use of the word 'IF'..... which is then followed by comments more along the lines of "Well, they obviously are so...."

2) The whole "Selling material equals them then promoting a certain practice..."

It does not follow at all! Heck, it;s like saying that car repairs/mechanics foster the trade of stolen car -reselling/birthing. Or an even more extreme kind of case, that fire brigades promote the setting of fires.

(Looking forwards to sorting out the discussion thing. Wink )
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
04-08-2015, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 04:47 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(04-08-2015 04:23 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 04:02 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If Planned Parenthood is generating revenue off selling fetal body parts, that creates an incentive for them to encourage women to get an abortion instead of say encouraging women to give their babies up for adoption.

Just two points.

1) The constant use of the word 'IF'..... which is then followed by comments more along the lines of "Well, they obviously are so...."

2) The whole "Selling material equals them then promoting a certain practice..."

It does not follow at all! Heck, it;s like saying that car repairs/mechanics foster the trade of stolen car -reselling/birthing. Or an even more extreme kind of case, that fire brigades promote the setting of fires.

(Looking forwards to sorting out the discussion thing. Wink )

Planned Parenthood is selling body parts to generate revenue....so that really isn't an "if". Regarding the second "if", it is well known business practice to try to cover your variable costs with sales so that additional sales revenue can start to cover your fixed costs. I think that covers all the ifs.

Suppose your rent is 1000 dollars a month regardless if you are open for business or not(fixed cost). Further suppose you can open for business and pay a salesman 3000 dollars a month(variable costs) who brings in 3500 dollars in revenue. Well your still going to lose 500 dollars a month operating your business. However you will lose 1000 dollars of month if you don't operate your business and just pay the rent. So you are better off in the short run to stay open even though you are losing money. Closing down means you will lose even more money as you still have to pay rent as long as you are solvent.

Suppose the salesman cost 3000 dollars a month but only brings in 2000 dollars a month. Well your better off laying off the salesman not operating and instead just paying the rent. Closing down you lose 1000 dollars a month. Operating you loose 2000 dollars a month. Why? Because operating doesn't bring in enough revenue to cover your variable cost.
04-08-2015, 04:52 AM
(04-08-2015 04:43 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Planned Parenthood is selling body parts to generate revenue....so that really isn't an "if". Regarding the second "if", it is well known business practice to try to cover your variable costs with sales so that additional sales revenue can start to cover your fixed costs. I think that covers all the ifs.

I do apologize I am really not following the whole story too closely. *bows*

So... the issue I kind of have with the above statement (And it's probably a nit-picky one) is the word 'revenue'. I don't think attempting to cover costs.. and not generate profit could be called 'revenue'. Generating money? Yes. Generating income? Maybe? Heck, I'd even disagree with the use of the word 'sales'. It's not like they're putting out a Macy's brochure now, is it?

(04-08-2015 04:43 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ... Posted another analogy...

It's not the example/analogy I'm even interested in talking about/discussing.

It's the colour or the way people are posting/talking/face-booking about the incident. However, I really am a stranger to the finer nuances about the issue and have posted my point/position.

I shall now bow out of anything further and watch this thread progress.

(Invitation is still open and a two way thread has been started => http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...mfy-corner Come! Pull up a comfy chair and chat a while Smile )
04-08-2015, 06:00 AM
You're right; recovering costs is not generating revenue. The only people who claim is is are disingenuous liars with an agenda. Their claim is they are recovering the costs of transport. Recovering your costs what you are doing in no way creates any kind of incentive to do it.

And, again, please note that the people who are screaming that is not what they are doing don't seem to be interested in any actual evidence. There are ways to validate (or invalidate, as the case may be) PP's version of the story. That no one is asking for that is pretty much an indictment of the motivations behind this farce.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
04-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Women are able to donate foetal tissue after an abortion. Given this Heywood, which would you prefer:
- That planned parenthood use their donors money to cover staff time and other costs associated with transferring tissues to researchers, or
- That planned parenthood require the researchers pay to cover costs incurred by planned parenthood?

Which is preferable?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
04-08-2015, 07:45 AM
This is a stupid and mean spirited attack on woman's reproductive rights. These same goons vote for a party that say "fuck you, you,re on your own" after you are born ".

The same ignorant arguments were made about organ transplants. Even with non profits you still have to pay employees and take in moemoney than costs.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user