Planned parenthood witch hunt backfires big time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 06:04 PM
RE: Planned parenthood witch hunt backfires big time
(30-09-2015 12:40 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  All the republicans need to do is keep the funding for women's health care services at existing levels and state that the funds cannot be allocated to any organization which performs abortions.

Planned Parenthood gets the bulk of its federal funding through Medicaid/Medicare which Congress has no control over.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 10:21 AM
(30-09-2015 07:33 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I saw this on the Rachel Maddow show last night and it was too hard to pass up posting. In a nutshell, in the Planned Parenthood witch hunt yesterday Rep Jason Chaffetz put up a slide claiming to show that prevention services had declined over the past decade, but abortions had increased and claimed that the information came straight out of Planned Parenthood annual reports.

I can't find anything to show that the numbers used in the graph are wrong. It seems the number of cancer screenings preformed by Planned Parenthood has dropped considerably and the number of abortions have increased. The graphic is inaccurate but are the numbers? Doesn't look like it.
01-10-2015, 01:42 PM
(01-10-2015 10:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 07:33 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I saw this on the Rachel Maddow show last night and it was too hard to pass up posting. In a nutshell, in the Planned Parenthood witch hunt yesterday Rep Jason Chaffetz put up a slide claiming to show that prevention services had declined over the past decade, but abortions had increased and claimed that the information came straight out of Planned Parenthood annual reports.

I can't find anything to show that the numbers used in the graph are wrong. It seems the number of cancer screenings preformed by Planned Parenthood has dropped considerably and the number of abortions have increased. The graphic is inaccurate but are the numbers? Doesn't look like it.

Yes Haywood, the numbers are apparently not wrong, but the way it is portrayed makes it look like Planned Parenthood is doing more abortions than cancer screenings. You know why they don't have a Y-axis on their graph? Because if they did, there is no way that 935,753 would be less than 327,000. Compare when properly graphed:

[Image: blog_pp_cancer_abortion_chaffetz.jpg?w=640]

So most people would look at the Chaffetz chart and think that more abortions than cancer screenings were being performed by Planned Parenthood when that is just false. So this is a blatant attempt at misleading the public. Now if Chaffetz was really interested in learning why the number of cancer screenings had gone down in that time and actually let Cecile Richards speak, he might have learned that it is because in that ten year span, the American Cancer Society recommended changes in the frequency of some cancer screenings.
[+] 9 users Like Iñigo's post
01-10-2015, 03:35 PM
(01-10-2015 01:42 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 10:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I can't find anything to show that the numbers used in the graph are wrong. It seems the number of cancer screenings preformed by Planned Parenthood has dropped considerably and the number of abortions have increased. The graphic is inaccurate but are the numbers? Doesn't look like it.

Yes Haywood, the numbers are apparently not wrong, but the way it is portrayed makes it look like Planned Parenthood is doing more abortions than cancer screenings. You know why they don't have a Y-axis on their graph? Because if they did, there is no way that 935,753 would be less than 327,000. Compare when properly graphed:

So most people would look at the Chaffetz chart and think that more abortions than cancer screenings were being performed by Planned Parenthood when that is just false. So this is a blatant attempt at misleading the public. Now if Chaffetz was really interested in learning why the number of cancer screenings had gone down in that time and actually let Cecile Richards speak, he might have learned that it is because in that ten year span, the American Cancer Society recommended changes in the frequency of some cancer screenings.

You beat me to it. Big Grin I was gonna call it Are you smarter than a third grader? First the chart presented by Chaffetz. Second the chart as drawn by a 3rd grader in math class. These people are really depending on the electorate being stupider than a 3rd grader.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-10-2015, 03:39 PM
To those guys that are so violently against abortion.

I have some bad news to report.

The girl you knocked up regrets having ever met you, regrets even more sleeping with you - and is going to flush your hellspawn down a drain.

I can see why you're against abortion...

Nobody wants to have your kid - because you're a repulsive turd who can only get women when they're hopelessly drunk.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-10-2015, 03:41 PM
(01-10-2015 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 01:42 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Yes Haywood, the numbers are apparently not wrong, but the way it is portrayed makes it look like Planned Parenthood is doing more abortions than cancer screenings. You know why they don't have a Y-axis on their graph? Because if they did, there is no way that 935,753 would be less than 327,000. Compare when properly graphed:

You beat me to it. Big Grin I was gonna call it Are you smarter than a third grader? First the chart presented by Chaffetz. Second the chart as drawn by a 3rd grader in math class. These people are really depending on the electorate being stupider than a 3rd grader.

They notably have a what is it, below 5th grade reading comprehensions. People I know like my sister struggle worse at math than my Niece in 2nd grade. So I wouldn't be shocked to see a 3rd grade range being where the electorate's math level is.

I think it's also been pointed out during the GOP debates all the speaker so far have been in that 4th grade range of word use except only Ted Cruz. The most legal experienced of the group and it's probably the case for him because in the debates he alone spent so much time talking about law issues and the supreme court scenarios with his dismissal of his former Roberts endorsement.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
01-10-2015, 04:08 PM
(30-09-2015 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 12:40 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Last I heard, most americans don't want tax payer money funding abortions.

Yeah, and federal tax payer dollars for abortions have already been banned for like FOUR FUCKING DECADES.

They have but...... see, here's the thing. Money is fungible. So, PP takes federal dollars AND they perform abortions. I get that they have to raise enough money independently to cover the cost of abortions, but without federal dollars that money would have to be spent differently because some of their funding source would be gone. So, I don't really buy the argument that the abortion money is private.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not making an argument about abortion either way. And, I'm on the side of PP in this current fight. I'm just saying their argument on abortion funding is spurious.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-10-2015, 04:20 PM
(01-10-2015 04:08 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yeah, and federal tax payer dollars for abortions have already been banned for like FOUR FUCKING DECADES.

They have but...... see, here's the thing. Money is fungible. So, PP takes federal dollars AND they perform abortions. I get that they have to raise enough money independently to cover the cost of abortions, but without federal dollars that money would have to be spent differently because some of their funding source would be gone. So, I don't really buy the argument that the abortion money is private.

I think that's the argument Chaffetz was trying to make. Of course it was completely lost amidst all of the vitriol and confrontational attitudes and the fact that Chaffetz led with a chart which would've gotten an F in 3rd grade math class.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I think that argument is right. You can't really claim that tax payers don't fund abortions. He would have been better served making that argument without his nonsensical chart.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-10-2015, 04:51 PM
(01-10-2015 04:39 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think that argument is right. You can't really claim that tax payers don't fund abortions. He would have been better served making that argument without his nonsensical chart.

You're a lawyer. How would you mount a defense against that argument? Don't tell me you can't because you'd be lying. Tongue

As an aside there are 17 States which provide public funding of abortion with State taxpayer dollars. 4 provide funding voluntarily (HI, MD, NY, and WA). (I would expect no less from the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Big Grin ) And in the other 13, courts interpreting their state constitutions have declared broad and independent protection for reproductive choice and have ordered nondiscriminatory public funding of abortion (AK, AZ, CA, CT, IL, MA, MN, MT, NJ, NM, OR, VT, and WV).