Planned parenthood witch hunt backfires big time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Planned parenthood witch hunt backfires big time
(02-10-2015 01:14 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 12:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If cancer screenings are going down then Planned Parenthood doesn't need the money. That is Chaffetz's point.

No. Chaffetz misleading point is that they perform more abortions than cancer screens. And... cancer screening is not the only other thing they do, they perform close to 9,000,000 other services.

The graph was misleading....kinda like Obama's "if you like your doctor you can keep him" comments. But what Chaffetz is advocating is de-funding Planned Parenthood and it seems he is correct when he points out that abortions at Planned Parenthood are going up while Cancer screenings are going down. Those seem to be facts that nobody is disputing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
I suppose if someone was claiming that all PP did was abortions and cancer screenings, that point would be relevant. But, since no one has claimed anything close to that, and PP does a lot more than abortions and cancer screenings, that graph really made no sense at all. And, that's before you look at how poorly constructed and deliberately misleading it was.

It's tough to know what is accurate information on PP at this point but I saw in a few places that cancer screenings were generally in the 15% range of what they did. Abortion services seem to be at 3%. So, combined, that's not even 20% of what they do. So, ok, sure, cancer screenings are going down. So the fuck what?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
02-10-2015, 06:11 PM
(02-10-2015 05:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 01:14 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  No. Chaffetz misleading point is that they perform more abortions than cancer screens. And... cancer screening is not the only other thing they do, they perform close to 9,000,000 other services.

The graph was misleading....kinda like Obama's "if you like your doctor you can keep him" comments. But what Chaffetz is advocating is de-funding Planned Parenthood and it seems he is correct when he points out that abortions at Planned Parenthood are going up while Cancer screenings are going down. Those seem to be facts that nobody is disputing.

It's irrelevant how many screenings of one sort or another they perform, you idiot. They provide all sorts of other preventive services. As usual, Blowjob can't see the forest for the trees. Still waiting to hear why I should be in prison you fuckwad, and why you felt it important to mention it in that way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Yeah, they do abortions. Guess what? They are legal in this country! Let's just focus on abortions and forget 97% of the other things they do. Brilliant.
02-10-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 06:27 PM by BnW.)
For the record, the only real point that Chaffetz made (or tried to make - he didn't seem to articulate it very well) is that tax payers are funding abortions, which we were all promised would not happen. It's really almost impossible to argue they are not.

PP takes money from tax payers. PP provides abortion services. Ergo, tax payers fund PP provide abortion services. The counter argument is that PP raises money independently and that money is what is used to fund abortions. But, as money it totally fungible, this argument really doesn't hold up. The fact is that if federal government didn't provide any money at all, than more of the money PP raises would have to go to the other services and that would leave less, if any, for abortion services.

And, that is what this is really about. The rest of this is all dress up bull shit. The real issue here is that we are allowing tax dollars to flow to an organization that provides abortions. It doesn't matter if it's 3%, 1% or 50% of what Planned Parenthood does. And, it equally doesn't matter to these people how many women benefit from PP and never, ever have an abortion. The health of those women and the services they need and are able to get is completely not the point of all this. The only thing that matter is the abortions. They can't completely stop them but I strongly suspect that Chaffetz and others believes - and they may very well be right about this - that if they kill the federal funding for PP, the number of abortions PP are able to provide will go down dramatically. And, I suspect that if PP ends up 100% reliant on private funding, then the Chaffetz's of the world will be proven right. PP will not provide as many abortions. It's simple math - they won't be able to. Not unless they are willing to make other sacrifices on health issues and my guess is that is not the choice they would make.

But that is what this entire debate and fight is really about. The Republicans really pushing this seem to be afraid to say that for some reason, maybe because they know putting it that way won't be popular. So, they concoct this story and put up screwy charts that make no sense and hide behind that. But, this is about stopping abortions - period.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
02-10-2015, 06:24 PM
(02-10-2015 06:20 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Yeah, they do abortions. Guess what? They are legal in this country! Let's just focus on abortions and forget 97% of the other things they do. Brilliant.

Money is fungible so when you give PlannedParenthood money you are helping them to perform abortions. Abortions are legal in this country but using federal funds to fund them is not.
02-10-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 06:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-10-2015 06:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  It's tough to know what is accurate information on PP at this point but I saw in a few places that cancer screenings were generally in the 15% range of what they did. Abortion services seem to be at 3%. So, combined, that's not even 20% of what they do. So, ok, sure, cancer screenings are going down. So the fuck what?

What people seem to be missing is that one of the fundamental priorities of Planned Parenthood is TO REDUCE ABORTIONS by giving low-income woman contraceptives.. ... I can't take the stupidity anymore. I'm going to Wichita.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-10-2015, 06:27 PM
(02-10-2015 06:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's irrelevant how many screenings of one sort or another they perform, you idiot. They provide all sorts of other preventive services. As usual, Blowjob can't see the forest for the trees. Still waiting to hear why I should be in prison you fuckwad, and why you felt it important to mention it in that way.

I forgive you for calling me an idiot. You would be in prison because you are mentally ill.
02-10-2015, 06:31 PM
(02-10-2015 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  It's tough to know what is accurate information on PP at this point but I saw in a few places that cancer screenings were generally in the 15% range of what they did. Abortion services seem to be at 3%. So, combined, that's not even 20% of what they do. So, ok, sure, cancer screenings are going down. So the fuck what?

What people seem to be missing is that one of the fundamental purposes of Planned Parenthood is TO REDUCE ABORTIONS by giving low-income woman contraception. ... I can't take the stupidity anymore. I'm going to Wichita.

That and low cost gynecological health screenings and care. Heywood doesn't understand that part of most gyno exams include a manual breast exam which can be effective in detecting issues early. Sure, your doctor can do an exam - if you have a doctor, can afford a doctor...etc. PP is a great alternative for women who don't have that option.

All the loonies pick up on is the abortion issue.

They never bother to look past that to all the good that PP does and has done for years that has nothing to do with terminating pregnancy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-10-2015, 06:34 PM
(02-10-2015 06:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What people seem to be missing is that one of the fundamental purposes of Planned Parenthood is TO REDUCE ABORTIONS by giving low-income woman contraception. ... I can't take the stupidity anymore. I'm going to Wichita.

That and low cost gynecological health screenings and care. Heywood doesn't understand that part of most gyno exams include a manual breast exam which can be effective in detecting issues early. Sure, your doctor can do an exam - if you have a doctor, can afford a doctor...etc. PP is a great alternative for women who don't have that option.

All the loonies pick up on is the abortion issue.

They never bother to look past that to all the good that PP does and has done for years that has nothing to do with terminating pregnancy.

Planned Parenthood files claims with medicare/medicaid for those services. What Chaffetz is advocating is revoking their eligibility for Title X funding.

You should know what you are talking about Anjele before you open your trap.