Planning to raise a child > Parents gimme advice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: Planning to raise a child > Parents gimme advice?
My girlfriend speaks to our kids primarily in French, and I speak to them primarily in English while also reading to them in Chinese most nights. My youngest is still at the baby talk stage with a few random words here and there, but my oldest pretty much followed the pattern I'd expected based off the research I'd come across and other multi lingual families I've known.

At 2 1/2 to 3 years old when he was really just starting to put words together into something more complex than single words, the concept of different languages was a bit much for him and he did lag behind slightly, speaking in a hybrid mash of all three languages that was hard to understand if you didn't happen to speak them all. But by the time he was 4, he pretty much had it figured out. He's now approaching 5 and instinctively weaves in and out of all three languages as the situation requires. His French and English are at a level equal to his peers on both sides of the Québec/Ontario border, and his Chinese is lagging a bit behind but still quite fluid, and he has no problem putting it to use when we hit up Chinatown.

Don't hold back. Load it onto them while they're still soaking it up like a sponge. If you feel so inclined, I highly recommend a book just released a few months ago by the name of "Trilingual by Six: The sane way to raise intelligent, talented children" by Lennis Dippel.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
28-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I read somewhere that the best way to raise bilingual children is to have one parent use one language exclusively and the other use the other language with the child exclusively.
29-07-2016, 08:29 AM
On'tday orryway ootay uchmay. Ey'llthay eebay inefay.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
29-07-2016, 10:24 AM
(28-07-2016 05:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You will do like all of us do...you'll figure it out as you go along.

Thumbsup

This!!!!!

One thing I was told and I always make sure to tell all new parents is to teach your kids that no is an acceptable answer.

I have received hundreds of compliments on the behavior of my kids because I taught and reinforced that very simple lesson very early in their lives.
29-07-2016, 10:25 AM
(29-07-2016 10:24 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 05:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You will do like all of us do...you'll figure it out as you go along.

Thumbsup

This!!!!!

One thing I was told and I always make sure to tell all new parents is to teach your kids that the word no is an acceptable answer.

I have received hundreds of compliments on the behavior of my kids because I taught and reinforced that very simple lesson very early in their lives.
29-07-2016, 10:29 AM
When my kid were teens and getting some peer pressure to do various sketchy things, I told them to tell their friends that they wouldn't be going along because of their knuckle-dragging dad. Big Grin Once they were out of the house, some miscreant activity occurred, but nothing that the law would care about.
29-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Wow thank you for so many answers and all.

Special shoutout to yakherder, I will definitely have a look at that book! Thank you for your insight how it works out with your own kids in this same situation! You hit EXACTLY the spots that I was curious about. Language development and how they work it out in daily life Smile

Two things I would like to mention, because it came up in this thread is the peer pressure and "no". These are both things that my husband and I grew up with and I am sure we will be fine to teach these to our kid as well. We both never had an issue with peer pressure (think before you do stuff - simple message) and accepting a "no" for an answer was something that just wasn't up for debate when we were kids. We did always have an explanation for that no though and that makes sense and I want to provide this to my child too.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
29-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Leela,

I did OK as a Dad. My 2p is to remember that the kid can see everything about you. Own up to being fallible and you will be loved.

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
29-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Don't do it.
Kids are awful little demonic shitheads.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-08-2016, 09:29 AM
(28-07-2016 06:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My girlfriend speaks to our kids primarily in French, and I speak to them primarily in English while also reading to them in Chinese most nights. My youngest is still at the baby talk stage with a few random words here and there, but my oldest pretty much followed the pattern I'd expected based off the research I'd come across and other multi lingual families I've known.

At 2 1/2 to 3 years old when he was really just starting to put words together into something more complex than single words, the concept of different languages was a bit much for him and he did lag behind slightly, speaking in a hybrid mash of all three languages that was hard to understand if you didn't happen to speak them all. But by the time he was 4, he pretty much had it figured out. He's now approaching 5 and instinctively weaves in and out of all three languages as the situation requires. His French and English are at a level equal to his peers on both sides of the Québec/Ontario border, and his Chinese is lagging a bit behind but still quite fluid, and he has no problem putting it to use when we hit up Chinatown.

Don't hold back. Load it onto them while they're still soaking it up like a sponge. If you feel so inclined, I highly recommend a book just released a few months ago by the name of "Trilingual by Six: The sane way to raise intelligent, talented children" by Lennis Dippel.

We have a couple language immersion schools here and this is what they all say. At first there may be a delay, the child will mix them together but then it just explodes and all falls into the right place. The children also find it easier to learn even more languages as they age too. Don't forget to add songs and poems into the mix.

Search out some mom groups and TTC groups online, local and not local. 12 years later many of those women are still my friends because we made this parenthood journey together. They all have the resources for schools you might not be aware of in your area, Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller