Planting the seed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Planting the seed.
I have recnetly started listening to TTA podcasts from oldest to newest and I was on the one arguing that if debates against theists was worth it and I can most definatley it is, but it may not have an immediate effect. "Planting the seed" is used with, atleast the cristian faith, to basically get into a persons mind and grow. THAT is the most advantageous aspect to a debate. Not necessarily to whom you are debating, but whom is listening.
Coming from catholisim I can with certainty tell you if those seeds of doubt, free thinking, and of questioning the world around me were not planted by somone somewhere and alowed to stew in the soup of my conciousness, I would never have deconverted. I would however, most likely still be lost in the sea of emotions of my mind wandering endlessly with not for 40 years (see what I did there? Smile ) in a desrt of doubt and self loathing.
When you are deciding wheter or not to make a point, call somone out, or just plain stand up for your believes, do it. Just do it. Often those whom lead are silently followed by many without the conviction to stand in the light alone, but even behind those, are more in the shadows.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like paxilpwns's post
07-06-2012, 12:45 PM
RE: Planting the seed.
My free-thinking and logic actually nurtured my Christianity.

So, I suppose it can go both ways.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-06-2012, 02:17 PM
If you were truely a free thinker without the influence of the church or others, you would not still be a christian. You are still being block by the brainwash of the faith. I can only hope that one day you truely think for yourself, question everything, and take nothing on faith.
[+] 2 users Like paxilpwns's post
07-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Yep, no one argues as vehemently as a recent convert--or deconvert. After all they're arguing to get others and themselves to believe.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey, Paxil.

Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you look at King's reputation and rethink your assumption. He's a far more intelligent man than your talking point gives him credit for. True free thinkers don't react to everything with talking points.

Life is complex. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I am not trying to make myself believe and this is almost my first post so where do you get off trying to stat that I am being argumentative. I really don't care about somones reputation, I am simply replying to his/her comment.
Sucks I am getting off on the wrong foot with some of you guys, but I will not be dismissed due to me being new to a forum (such as a teenager not knowing anything about life) and I will not be influenced by somone I have no knowledge of.
[+] 2 users Like paxilpwns's post
07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't think you're getting off on the wrong foot.
Ghost was just trying to point out that the member you were replying to may be more than meets the eye.
But that's for you to figure out or not.

I don't believe that you have to be an atheist to be a free thinker.
Just like I don't think all republicans are dicks.

But debate with theists can be good, or pointless. For instance I learned a lot by talking with KC, that's right, I learned.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
07-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Planting the seed is very common among Christianity. It's also one of the most famous parables/fables Jesus spoke of. But as King said, it could go both ways. Once all I knew was 80's rock and all country music. Then I eventually was exposed to other forms of music. My ipod is filled with a mixture that would scare most people, one minute you are listening to beethoven's 9th, and the next you are listening to dethklok, red hot chilil peppers, or AC/DC.
Maybe the point you are hitting, or at least what comes across to me and I'm not trying to simplify what you have posted, is that planting a seed is simply a different way of saying "Trying new things."

Hope this helps, good luck.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
When you are in a debate format both combatants have all of their defences in place. They will ignore weaknesses in their own argument because their whole mind is dedicated to finding weaknesses in the argument of their opposition. Debate rarely plants seeds, and in fact may reinforce entrenched positions.

A conversation that plants a seed more commonly starts with: Do you know about this cool thing I just found out about / figured out?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 12:42 PM by Thomas.)
Keep posting paxilpwns
Most of the forum will be behind you.
Free thinking is about going out there and taking the hits.
You will find in time which posters to simply ignore.
A hint is to look at the number of other posts they have liked.
If they don't like you you're in good company.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post