Planting the seed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
RE: Planting the seed.
Keep posting and be prepared to have your thoughts and preconceptions challenged by both atheists and theists. There are a quite a few theists on these boards and they post regularly and intelligently about their beliefs and thought processes. Just remember that if someone questions you, dont take it personally and be prepared to back it up

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I believe i will keep posting. I posted this to kinda give a bit of help to anyone who wished to read it and it may help them. I was not ready for a thiest to try and hijack it with a back handed arguement so I will be more prepared now on.
[+] 3 users Like paxilpwns's post
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Nicely done paxilpwns. And no, free thought and Christianity are not compatible.

Keep planting seeds and I'll do the same.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
08-06-2012, 01:14 AM

(07-06-2012 03:36 PM)paxilpwns Wrote:  I am not trying to make myself believe and this is almost my first post so where do you get off trying to stat that I am being argumentative. I really don't care about somones reputation, I am simply replying to his/her comment.
Sucks I am getting off on the wrong foot with some of you guys, but I will not be dismissed due to me being new to a forum (such as a teenager not knowing anything about life) and I will not be influenced by somone I have no knowledge of.

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
08-06-2012, 07:09 AM
(07-06-2012 02:17 PM)paxilpwns Wrote:  If you were truely a free thinker without the influence of the church or others, you would not still be a christian. You are still being block by the brainwash of the faith. I can only hope that one day you truely think for yourself, question everything, and take nothing on faith.

I'm not one to invoke No True Scotsman (partly because I think it has some validity), but I think I'm going to have to call it here. Freethinking and atheism are not mutually exclusive.

You do not know me, so I think it's a bit pretentious for you to say that if I was truly a freethinker then I wouldn't be a Christian. I have taken great care and precision with my Christianity, logic, and freethinking; and, as you get to know me, I think that will become evident.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-06-2012, 08:08 AM
(07-06-2012 07:35 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't think you're getting off on the wrong foot.
Ghost was just trying to point out that the member you were replying to may be more than meets the eye.
But that's for you to figure out or not.

I don't believe that you have to be an atheist to be a free thinker.
Just like I don't think all republicans are dicks.

But debate with theists can be good, or pointless. For instance I learned a lot by talking with KC, that's right, I learned.

I appreciate that. And no, we're not getting off on the wrong foot. It's a learning process, and sometimes I get too comfortable here and assume everyone knows my beliefs and whatnot. That's my mistake.

I also understand where paxil is coming from, though.

I don't agree with it (as I'm an example), but I understand. I tend to think he gave into the stereotype that intelligent people are irreligious.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-06-2012, 08:23 AM
(07-06-2012 09:14 PM)paxilpwns Wrote:  I believe i will keep posting. I posted this to kinda give a bit of help to anyone who wished to read it and it may help them. I was not ready for a thiest to try and hijack it with a back handed arguement so I will be more prepared now on.

Good on you Pax! I'm glad you found your way here and are ready to contribute to a community of free thought. Thumbsup

It is true there are a few Theists here and for the most part we all have found a common ground of thought provoking commentary. As you will soon find, we are all pretty much on the forum for our own particular reasons yet as different as we are, we're still the same. Yes, that italicized phrase is from a John Denver song. HUH? Never thought an old punk rocker would own up to that, did ya? I do so here without shame. Cool (Actually, I do so elsewhere, but I'm a weirdo.)

I think I'm just trying to let you know that we're all out here. Many of us have been on our own, walking the wire sans net, and we've found others who do the same... doesn't mean we all walk the same wire... just means the only net we might have on this forum is an idea and the mutual respect of freedom to put it out there.

Nothing is absolute... but ... we are all here. Glad you could make it... now, what the hell took you so long? Dodgy

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Obviously, "Free Thought", just as "Freedom" is not free. There is often a price to pay when telling the truth, as you see it.

The following is from Ricky Gervais:

"I always expect some people to be offended. I know I ruffle feathers but some people’s feathers need a little ruffling. And remember: just because someone is offended doesn’t mean they’re in the right. Some people are offended by multiculturalism, homosexuality, abortion, atheism – what should we do? Ban all those things? You have the right to be offended, and I have the right to offend you. But no one has the right to never be offended.

I never actively try to offend though. That’s churlish, pointless and frankly too easy. But I believe you should say what you mean. Be honest. No one should ever be offended by truth. That way you’ll never have to apologise. I hate it when a comedian says, “Sorry for what I said.” You shouldn’t have said it. You shouldn’t say it if you didn’t mean it and you should never regret anything you meant to do. As a comedian I think my job isn’t just to make people laugh but also make them think. As a famous comedian I also want a strict door policy on my club. Not everyone will like what I say or find it funny. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. There are enough comedians who try to please everyone as it is. Good luck to them, but that’s not my game, I’m afraid."

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post