Plastic through string the impossible way.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Plastic through string the impossible way.
This isn't a troll post but it belongs in the "wtf" section. I broused for answers only to find magic tricks. I do wish there was a logical explanation. I once owned a shirt with a necklace attached. This necklace has caused me frustration, because nobody can explain how the certain incident could be possible. I’ll get to the mystery incident in a moment. It's an outfit that I had owned for real for years in the earlier two thousands. It was dry clean only and had a dark blue pair of pants to go with a blue print top. The necklace had a light and flat blue disk bead in the center. Now the disk bead I could easily have removed without snipping the string. However, the other six beads had the thread through the holes in the center as a necklace always does.

Both ends of the string were sewn by the company into the shoulders. The fabric surrounded the ends and I would have had to cut away some of the stitches to remove the ends. Mind you, I am not talking about candy beads that dissolve in water. These were good plastic with a thick and round black string. Blair had sold us this little outfit by magazine, but they don’t anymore. I’ve looked a few times, but can find no picture of it anywhere. I remember the top being floral looking in mostly blue. It had short sleeves.

I was living in an apartment complex, and at the time we had to use the laundry machines outside that you put quarters inside to run. It had a tongue to push the quarters in, and three buttons for the cycle of choice. Mother prefers cloths washed on cold, so I probably used cold. I tossed white and colored cloths alike into the machine along with the dry clean outfit. After an hour, I came back and opened the machine up and cussed at myself for having tossed the dry clean outfit into there. It roughed up the fabric, but that was literally all the damage it did to the load.

I lifted the shirt up and the beads weren’t on the string. Oh, the string was still quite attached indeed. I wore it with the bare string a few times weeks later. It wasn't cut or broken. I pulled the other cloths out and found the beads at the bottom of the machine! A couple of them had gone under the center part of washer, but the ones I pulled out were just as together as before. They weren’t broken in half or very scratched either. It was like they were never on the necklace at all. I kept the beads for a short while, because they weren’t totally junk or anything. (Again, they were NOT broken. I’m serious!) After a long time I got rid of the beads and the shirt, being too dumb to acknowledge that they and their condition was all the proof I had with me that things can go through things. How? That's what I wish someone knew.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Plastic through string the impossible way.
What makes it even more complicated is that the center piece of the washing machine is plastic to.
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Must be a miracle of god. Angel
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
02-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Okay...moral of the story, dry clean 'dry clean only' shirts?

03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Quite frankly, I'm not inclined to believe your story. It is an extraordinary claim which posits and truly impossible occurance. Solid matter cannot pass seamlessly through other solid matter. It violates all known laws of physics and - even if it were possible - such a complicated process would not occur by pure happenstance in a washing machine or dryer.

The only logical explanation is that you simply made it up. And until sufficient evidence is presented (and until the occurance is able to be repeated under controlled conditions), I have no choice but to continue to suspend my belief. I'm sorry.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I agree with Misanthropik. If there really was no open-end for the beads to come off and the beads did not break then it is physically impossible, things that are physically impossible tend to not happen Wink

Did you make up this story as a prep for saying there are things in the world that don't make sense and therefore god exists? If so you shouldn't bother to waste your, or our, time. That would only work if (Like Misanthropik said) you gave sufficient evidence to prove the event that took place is possible, so it must be repeatable.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
04-02-2013, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 10:56 AM by Lienda Bella.)
(03-02-2013 08:19 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I agree with Misanthropik. If there really was no open-end for the beads to come off and the beads did not break then it is physically impossible, things that are physically impossible tend to not happen Wink

Did you make up this story as a prep for saying there are things in the world that don't make sense and therefore god exists? If so you shouldn't bother to waste your, or our, time. That would only work if (Like Misanthropik said) you gave sufficient evidence to prove the event that took place is possible, so it must be repeatable.
Please excuse my grammar.
It's supposed to be impossible? Blink Ohhh... I know it's supposed to be. In fact, it'd be nice (and safer) if it were, but I refuse to believe that it is.

Uhm, yeah. *rubs chest* This is what I get for stupidly getting rid of the proof I had. I deserve it to some degree. Mum believes me, though. She's seen the shirt, held it, took it to dry clean, etc. and just now told me "you might just want to let it go as an unexplained event." Well, it still bugs me once in a while. My sister did to till she forgot what it looked like. All that my Dad and former friend gave me was a story about a truck with a missing piston and a hand going through a pole. They don't have proof either. Yep, it happened in a washing machine. I don't know why it just had to do it in the washing machine and not a bus or something more dangerous. I don't have the slightest clue how the magic tricks work either, but they annoy me anyway. 'gets coffee'

"Did you make up this story to waste my time and say "therefore?" No. I typed a little bit of honest information in the introduction thread. Even when I was a believer, I wouldn't have bothered just for that reason. I didn't care at the time, and that's why my beads and things are so intelligenly thrown out now.
04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
(02-02-2013 07:37 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Must be a miracle of god. Angel
Lol. He needs to go miracle the childrens' hospital first.
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
(04-02-2013 10:50 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  It's supposed to be impossible? Blink Ohhh... I know it's supposed to be. In fact, it'd be nice (and safer) if it were, but I refuse to believe that it is.

"Did you make up this story to waste my time and say "therefore?" No. I typed a little bit of honest information in the introduction thread. Even when I was a believer, I wouldn't have bothered just for that reason. I didn't care at the time, and that's why my beads and things are so intelligenly thrown out now.

Good to hear. Then you must have missed something when you examined the shirt. Because it is physically impossible for matter to pass through matter like that. Yes it is impossible. The electrons on the outside of the beads and the string repel each other, an immense amount of energy would be required to do something similar what you claim happened. This wouldn't leave the beads or string in tact either however, also the building the dryer is in and perhaps surrounding buildings.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
OK, there are only a few possibilities here:

1. This really happened naturally. Solid material passed through solid material. We clearly have to revise our laws of physics to accommodate for this possibility.
2. This really happened metaphysically. It's a miracle. God decided to meddle in human affairs and instead of curing the sick or ending wars or famine or suffering, he played hijinx in one random washing machine. I think it's time we redefine our notion of "intelligent" design if this is the evident intelligence of our designer.
3. This really didn't happen but is a shared delusion of the OP and her family. Possible, I suppose, but hardly the kind of manifestation of shared delusions one would expect. Now, if they were talking about a group alien abduction or seeing bigfoot on a family camping trip, I might buy it as a shared delusion.
4. This really didn't happen but the OP is deceiving us and maybe her family too. Always a possibility but I'll take her at her word.
5. This really did happen but the OP is the victim of a prank - her mother or another person with access unfastened the necklace, removed the beads, refastened the necklace, and then tossed it all in the wash, just to mess with her head.
6. This really did happen for perfectly normal reasons. There might have been something about how that necklace was fastened that the beads could somehow slide off without breaking the laws of physics, requiring a miracle, or being the object of a prank. It might not have been obvious, maybe something like that old trick with the two horseshoes joined by links of chain and a little ring you have to remove from it.

Well, I don't think I'm going to rewrite the laws of physics just yet, or redefine an imaginary creator. The shared delusion seems extremely improbable. The OP could be deceiving us but I doubt it; really, what would be her motivation (she has nothing to gain at all)? The prank theory might be plausible; this is something I might do as a prank, if I thought of it.

But I'm inclined to believe number 6, if only because it seems the most Occam's Razorish.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post