Plastics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Plastics
(13-01-2015 06:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 06:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I had forgotten about reusing foil. Even after dad graduated from college and was making good money, mom still did that. But by that time there were paper plates in the house though they weren't used for much more than if someone had a sandwich. Otherwise it was the real plates (that I washed Dodgy ).

There were some other 'splurges' like paper towels but mom would also wash and reuse baggies. And they weren't even the ziploc kind but the ones with the fold-over flaps that were basically useless. And the paper bags from the grocery store were used to drain fried foods and as trash bags.

Funny, I had forgotten about a lot of that. And mom's choices of what she recycled and what she didn't were a little random.

Omg you sparked a huge memory of the drawer at Grandma's house filled with empty coffee cans and cool whip containers.

I recall when I was little she would save and wash out mayo jars (they were glass back in the day).

I remember when Parkay margarine came out, and the pretty tubs that they knew people would save and reuse. They didn't say Parkay on them...the cardboard did. The idea was they'll look pretty on the table.

I cannot begin to recall how many of those things we tossed out when she moved in 1981. Hundreds. The old coffee cans she'd save, cover them with Christmas paper and use them to ship cookies (sandbakkles) to family.
wow! I hadn't thought of that shit for years and years.

She also saved jelly jars...

Cool Whip containers - the poor man's Tupperware!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-01-2015, 07:01 PM
(13-01-2015 06:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 06:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Omg you sparked a huge memory of the drawer at Grandma's house filled with empty coffee cans and cool whip containers.

I recall when I was little she would save and wash out mayo jars (they were glass back in the day).

I remember when Parkay margarine came out, and the pretty tubs that they knew people would save and reuse. They didn't say Parkay on them...the cardboard did. The idea was they'll look pretty on the table.

I cannot begin to recall how many of those things we tossed out when she moved in 1981. Hundreds. The old coffee cans she'd save, cover them with Christmas paper and use them to ship cookies (sandbakkles) to family.
wow! I hadn't thought of that shit for years and years.

She also saved jelly jars...

Cool Whip containers - the poor man's Tupperware!

She had her share of tupperware for fancy stuff -- or she'd bring cookies to church in that. Lmao. Harvest gold and avocado. Yuck.

It corrodinated with her oven and fridge. Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Mom kept coffee cans mostly to put leftover food in that was too wet or greasy to go into the paper bag trash liners.

But she also used one to make Cheerios in for our Black Lab every morning (complete with sugar). Of course one of us kids had to go out to the kennel and put it in his bowl.

She DIDN'T make breakfast of any sort for us kids.

Our stove and fridge were coppertone...classy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-01-2015, 07:16 PM
(13-01-2015 07:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Mom kept coffee cans mostly to put leftover food in that was too wet or greasy to go into the paper bag trash liners.

But she also used one to make Cheerios in for our Black Lab every morning (complete with sugar). Of course one of us kids had to go out to the kennel and put it in his bowl.

She DIDN'T make breakfast of any sort for us kids.

Our stove and fridge were coppertone...classy.

Omg my parents had a coppertone stove! Our fridge didn't match tho. Sad it was white.

No one made breakfast for me as a kid. I think that's why I always get up and cook breakfast for the kids. Also it's waaaaay cheaper to cook an egg and cut up fruit.

Didn't everyone have the obligatory can of bacon grease in the back of the fridge?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-01-2015, 07:22 PM
(13-01-2015 07:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 06:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Cool Whip containers - the poor man's Tupperware!

She had her share of tupperware for fancy stuff -- or she'd bring cookies to church in that. Lmao. Harvest gold and avocado. Yuck.

It corrodinated with her oven and fridge. Facepalm

It's funny but I feel guilty using zip lock bags and when I finish a box of Cheerios I take the wax inner bag thingy and throw it out but ooohhh, I feel like I should use it to store food in like my mother did. We were country poor which is different than city poor. It's probably more fun to be country poor. We didn't have garbage pick up because we lived so far out in the woods (in a cabin in the woods, no less) so we used as much stuff over and over again so it didn't get thrown away.

Once a month we took our garbage out to the garbage dump and it was always fun....... for us kids anyway. My older brothers found an old tricycle at the dump for me and fixed it up as a birthday present when I was 4. Of course, a couple of years later they took my trike apart to make a go-cart and we had to go back to the dump to search for another bike. And we finally found one! So my brothers fixed that one up and that was my birthday present when I turned 6.

Jesus christ, we were do damned poor. When I look at the family photos we look like we came out of Tobacco Road or something. LOL. It was the best thing that ever happened to me though. I feel as if I could survive on very little if I had to.

Sorry, the memories. The memories.......like the corners of my mind. Misty water colored memories......

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-01-2015, 07:28 PM
(13-01-2015 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No one made breakfast for me as a kid. I think that's why I always get up and cook breakfast for the kids. Also it's waaaaay cheaper to cook an egg and cut up fruit.

Didn't everyone have the obligatory can of bacon grease in the back of the fridge?

Still do - nothing better for fried potatoes!

13-01-2015, 07:33 PM
(13-01-2015 07:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Jesus christ, we were do damned poor. When I look at the family photos we look like we came out of Tobacco Road or something. LOL. It was the best thing that ever happened to me though. I feel as if I could survive on very little if I had to.

Sorry, the memories. The memories.......like the corners of my mind. Misty water colored memories......

When I was kid, my dad was in college and mom worked low-paying jobs (HS dropout). We lived in a tiny little trailer that was as wide as our couch. The hallway to back of the trailer was my bedroom floor. I had a bed in my bedroom - and a hall and a closet. We had to build on a room to have somewhere to put my baby sister. We were poor. My clothes came from my aunt who was three years older than me. My siblings don't remember that kind of life as dad graduated vet school when my sister was three and my brother didn't come around till three months later.

13-01-2015, 07:34 PM
(13-01-2015 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No one made breakfast for me as a kid. I think that's why I always get up and cook breakfast for the kids. Also it's waaaaay cheaper to cook an egg and cut up fruit.

Me, too. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-01-2015, 07:56 PM
(13-01-2015 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Bacon grease + fries potatoes? Very light lol

I always noticed how here we have a sweet breakfast with coffee, milk, sweets while you guys over the pond, but also in UK I think, are mostly salty stuff like bacon, eggs...

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post