Plastics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Plastics
(13-01-2015 07:56 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Still do - nothing better for fried potatoes!

Bacon grease + fries potatoes? Very light lol

I always noticed how here we have a sweet breakfast with coffee, milk, sweets while you guys over the pond, but also in UK I think, are mostly salty stuff like bacon, eggs...

I tend not to eat breakfast but love breakfast foods for supper. Eggs, bacon, fried potatoes or grits...Drooling

If I eat something really sweet as the first thing I eat in a day, I feel sick from it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2015, 08:00 PM
I am reading the way the three of you grew up and I'm wondering if we all lived in the same house. Ohmy

another country poor girl here.

We moved from the trailer, where I shared the "hall" bedroom with my sister (nothing like your entire family walking thru your room to get to their rooms) to a house further back on the hill in the woods that my Dad built, except that parts were done only when we had money. And probably would not have happened if other relatives didnt have better paying jobs (like running a bulldozer to dig the foundation and a mason to lay the block). The dump was further back on our property. But all those things about paper bags, foil, butter containers....yep...I get that.

Forgot to mention that house was started 42 years ago, still not done, Dad died two years ago. at one point all 5 of us kids shared one bedroom. it was loads of fun, every night " good night john boy"

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-01-2015, 10:19 AM
(14-01-2015 08:00 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am reading the way the three of you grew up and I'm wondering if we all lived in the same house. Ohmy

another country poor girl here.

We moved from the trailer, where I shared the "hall" bedroom with my sister (nothing like your entire family walking thru your room to get to their rooms) to a house further back on the hill in the woods that my Dad built, except that parts were done only when we had money. And probably would not have happened if other relatives didnt have better paying jobs (like running a bulldozer to dig the foundation and a mason to lay the block). The dump was further back on our property. But all those things about paper bags, foil, butter containers....yep...I get that.

Forgot to mention that house was started 42 years ago, still not done, Dad died two years ago. at one point all 5 of us kids shared one bedroom. it was loads of fun, every night " good night john boy"

Being poor isn't so bad in the country but in the city is must be more difficult and stressful. I had no idea we were poor and as a kid you just assume everyone lives the way you do especially if you don't have a TV, which we didn't.

We did have an outhouse (lucky us!) which I almost fell into when I was four years old.

LOL. This is starting to remind me of the Monty Python, "We were so poor" skit.

How did this thread go from plastic to Monty Python? Blink

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-01-2015, 10:24 AM
(15-01-2015 10:19 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How did this thread go from plastic to Monty Python? Blink

Wha? The only thing I can't figure out is what took so long!

This is TTA after all. Are you new? Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-01-2015, 10:27 AM
you are right, growing up in farm country and being able roam for miles thru fields, woods, splash thru creeks was great.

The neighbors had a outhouse that us kids used. Our parents didnt want us inside AT ALL 3 seasons of the year, even in winter we spent most if the day playing outside.

By the time I hit middle school my Dad was working as an electrician in a steel mill and things improved greatly but never to the point of being considered "well- off", just no longer scraping by

15-01-2015, 11:21 AM
(13-01-2015 03:44 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ETA: you can get a six pack of glasses at IKEA for about $3. Wink

IKEA is the fucking bomb. I think Fight Club gave it a bad rep. I haven't purchased a bad thing yet from there, and after the move and 'rebuild' I just went through, I am ever grateful that their prices are competitive with or beat Wal-marts.

I like using paper or glass (paper bags, wax paper, mason jars, etc) but I will fully admit it's an aesthetic "vintage" thing. There's a hipster inside me clawing and cussing to get out. I enjoy the lack of waste it involves, but truthfully I don't understand why plastic storage would have to be eliminated as opposed to plastic "waste" like wrappers. I've never seen anything compelling coming from worry about BPA shit.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post
15-01-2015, 11:33 AM
there are different grades of plastic for different uses. Some are meant to only be used a limited amount if times, or don't do well in microwaves and diswashers and when exposed can start breaking down.

I would just rather avoid what I can and not bother checking every package. I am all about simple. I use the milk jug for milk, when its gone it goes into recycling. When I'm done with the butter, it goes in the recycling bin too...if I need to keep leftovers, I have a stash of glass or safe plastics that I use.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
15-01-2015, 11:52 AM
My other issue is that most plastics, even if they're stamped with a #2 or whatever on the bottom, actually are made from multiple types of plastics that sometimes can't be recycled.

Like a water bottle....the main part of the bottle might be 2 but the neck, is usually different and the cap is completely different again.

Our local recycling doesn't want any plastic food storage containers at all, regardless of how they're labeled on the bottom. It's wild.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-01-2015, 12:13 PM
(15-01-2015 11:52 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My other issue is that most plastics, even if they're stamped with a #2 or whatever on the bottom, actually are made from multiple types of plastics that sometimes can't be recycled.

Like a water bottle....the main part of the bottle might be 2 but the neck, is usually different and the cap is completely different again.

Our local recycling doesn't want any plastic food storage containers at all, regardless of how they're labeled on the bottom. It's wild.

for the longest time our recycling centers didnt want pizza boxes, (we have curbside pickup and we don't have to sort), but they kept being inundated with them so they eventually found a program that does recycle them. I guess my 4 years of putting them in the bin anyway finally worked.

I'm not saying you should put the mixed plastic in your bin, but I would. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-01-2015, 12:30 PM
(15-01-2015 12:13 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 11:52 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My other issue is that most plastics, even if they're stamped with a #2 or whatever on the bottom, actually are made from multiple types of plastics that sometimes can't be recycled.

for the longest time our recycling centers didnt want pizza boxes, (we have curbside pickup and we don't have to sort), but they kept being inundated with them so they eventually found a program that does recycle them. I guess my 4 years of putting them in the bin anyway finally worked.

I'm not saying you should put the mixed plastic in your bin, but I would. Angel

Honestly...I do....because...it saves room in the garbage can.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces