Platitudes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Platitudes
I have a Baptist friend who runs a group on Facebook. Within a few days, two separate posts caused different people to post almost the exact same response:

Both of them said things to the effect of "doctrine can cause division" or "when we die, we'll find out we were all wrong about doctrine". Both encouraged people to not get hung up on issues of doctrine, and instead, to only worry about "the doctrine of Jesus Christ".

Now, I'm sure that sounds all profound and stuff, but what does that even mean? I understand what they're getting at, but if you try to get down to specifics, no one can give a coherent answer. Everyone who has an opinion on doctrine believes that theirs is the One True doctrine. What is the doctrine of Jesus Christ? The fact that no two Christians can give the same answer should set up a red flag, right there.

The closest thing I could think of would be something like a "love God and love each other" sort of thing, but every time I see an author try to boil it down to something so simple, they're always branded as heretics with "false doctrines".

Also, important to note: neither of the two posters show any signs of shutting up about their individual doctrines, so, it seems the platitude isn't particularly effective.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
RE: Platitudes
My best guess is they're both parroting the same thing they saw or read somewhere.
08-09-2014, 10:10 AM
They're demonstrating a fundamental flaw in their epistemology, they will never be able to resolve their differences because it's based on their own interpretation of a flawed text. All they can do is argue about who's interpretation is correct, I've found during my Christian days, this is determined by who has the most charisma. This is simply not an acceptable way of going about things, but is the standard way of remaining stagnant and intellectually shackled.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
08-09-2014, 10:10 AM
It's entirely possible they go to the same church. I get the feeling a lot of the core members of the group met at church.
08-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I think Christians get as frustrated arguing with each other sometimes just like atheist do arguing with them. It's their end game; a way of stopping what would otherwise be endless bickering.

Person 1: I'm right.
Person 2: No, I'm right.
Person 1: No, I'm right.
Person 1: Forget it, just believe.
Person 2: Ok... but I'm still right. Tongue
Person 1: Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
08-09-2014, 10:31 AM
(08-09-2014 10:22 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I think Christians get as frustrated arguing with each other sometimes just like atheist do arguing with them. It's their end game; a way of stopping what would otherwise be endless bickering.

Person 1: I'm right.
Person 1: No, I'm right.
Person 1: Forget it, just believe.
Person 2: Ok... but I'm still right. Tongue
Person 1: Dodgy

LOL, Have you ever witnessed the deep discussions between people of the same church?
Person 1:Jesus said such and such.
Person 2:But in this chapter he said such and such.
Person 1:But here he said such and such.
Person 2:But the original Hebrew used this word....

[Image: woman-sklaps-man-cartoon__140302192155.jpg]

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
08-09-2014, 10:56 AM
I think that's an example of what Daniel Dennet calls a "deepity." Something that sounds profound until you think about it for half a minute.

But it does bring up something I've been wondering: what is the minimum requirement for being a Christian? It can't be belief, because doesn't a verse somewhere say that the devil believes and trembles? So that would suggest it's faith plus something and suddenly the doctrine argument pops up again.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
08-09-2014, 11:13 AM
(08-09-2014 10:56 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think that's an example of what Daniel Dennet calls a "deepity." Something that sounds profound until you think about it for half a minute.

But it does bring up something I've been wondering: what is the minimum requirement for being a Christian? It can't be belief, because doesn't a verse somewhere say that the devil believes and trembles? So that would suggest it's faith plus something and suddenly the doctrine argument pops up again.

The conditions of salvation are as muddy as can be, the bible is rife with contradictions on the subject. Being a former Pentecostal, they believed baptism was NOT necessary for salvation, I think RobbyPants can attest to this, the Baptists believed we were headed straight to hell unless we were baptized, and there's even differences over the method. Sprinkled? Full Immersion?
And it still hasn't been resolved in 2000 years!

BIBLICAL CONTRADICTIONS REGARDING SALVATION

[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I grew up Baptist, and my understanding is that baptism is not necessary for salvation. It's just public, symbolic declaration of your salvation. Of course it only counts if you get dunked though - none of that sprinkling bullshit (you also have to be old enough to understand what you're doing). Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
08-09-2014, 11:47 AM
(08-09-2014 10:31 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  LOL, Have you ever witnessed the deep discussions between people of the same church?

My favorite is when they get ironic to the point of unaware self-parody.

My wife loves the book Love Wins, which is basically an ultra-liberal spin on Christianity. I was reading reviews of it online, and there was no shortage of Christians calling it heresy. The comment that made me laugh was about how the author didn't have enough evidence to make his case and that his beliefs were totally non-falsifiable.

That is compartmentalization, right there!
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post