Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice
Unfortunately, you can only read the abstract of this paper, "What If They're Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice" here.

But here's a short interview with one of the researchers, as well.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
06-05-2015, 09:55 PM
RE: Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice
(06-05-2015 09:36 PM)claywise Wrote:  Unfortunately, you can only read the abstract of this paper, "What If They're Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice" here.

But here's a short interview with one of the researchers, as well.

Interesting. I definitely think there is some truth to it. I know when I left christianity, the idea of there being no heaven really sucked. I read this article awhile ago that really kind of helped me come to terms with there being no heaven now that I am an atheist:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizv...34439.html
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 10:03 PM
(06-05-2015 09:55 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know when I left christianity, the idea of there being no heaven really sucked.

These days, the idea of heaven — as generally described by Christians — seems utterly appalling to me.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
06-05-2015, 10:17 PM
(06-05-2015 10:03 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 09:55 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I know when I left christianity, the idea of there being no heaven really sucked.

These days, the idea of heaven — as generally described by Christians — seems utterly appalling to me.

I agree with you 100 percent...now that I see things clearly as an atheist. But when I was caught up in the web of christianity--I liked the whole idea of being able to see my family/friends who had passed on again... in heaven. But of course, when you are christian you don't really stop and think about all the people it is excluding because you drink the kool aid. You just think well-if they wanted to go to heaven they could just believe in god. Obviously, it doesn't work that way and god is not the loving being I thought he once was.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Interesting. And it is somewhat funny that atheist are disliked cause their existence is a threat to believers fairy tale about afterlife. It's kinda childlish.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
07-05-2015, 05:07 AM
It's herd mentality. Safety in numbers and all that.

People tend to think the mob is right.

Even when the mob believes ludicrous stuff with no evidence.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-05-2015, 06:27 AM
In my experience, most theist's complaints come from the idea that they think that atheism leads to immoral nihilism, and any atheists that don't behave this way aren't being honest with themselves.

I had one guy repeatedly telling me to "quit stealing his morality system and be honest", and I told him that under no circumstances was I doing what some invisible guy told me without question, and was instead evaluating it for myself.

The death/heaven thing bothers them. I think the only way that heaven makes Christians upset with atheists is when they personally know one or more atheists and they feel sorry that their family/friends will end up in hell.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-05-2015, 07:18 AM
(07-05-2015 06:27 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The death/heaven thing bothers them. I think the only way that heaven makes Christians upset with atheists is when they personally know one or more atheists and they feel sorry that their family/friends will end up in hell.

I'd even take it one step further - I think our plain rejection of gods, and of both Heaven and Hell, is a spear of logic that pierces the chinks in their armor of cognitive dissonance. It forces them to confront the fact that they have a hard time truly believing in Heaven and Hell themselves, a hard time reconciling the concept of Hell with a supposedly loving God. What they're really mad about is our unwillingness to placate their comforting fantasy. It unsettles them to see that we not only accept the reality that there is no afterlife, but we feel far freer without it. I think many Christians can accept the fact that lots of people out there can't grapple with any specific denomination's dogma. Most of them can even understand that being born in different cultures you're likely to have been raised with a different faith. As long as a person has SOME version of a Creator and an afterlife in their personal ethos, most Christians can begrudgingly accept that. The afterlife is the reward, the carrot that keeps people marching through a life of faith. But what REALLY wrankles them is the notion that there are people out there, and more joining the ranks every day, who don't believe the carrot exists at all, and wouldn't want it even if it did.
[+] 7 users Like Mr. Boston's post
07-05-2015, 07:23 AM
I think, at least partially, people really take offense because an athiest is basically saying their parents lied to them for most of their life. At least down south.. Growing up in the south their was a strong tie to tradition. They are proud to do things their dad did, and his dad and so on.. I have been in S. Texas for 1.5 yrs now and the most frequent phrase I have heard is " we've always done it like this and it's worked fine!" They don't seem to to want change, even if it could be better. And they love their heroes, and the image portrayed. And they hate change...at least in the rural south.
[+] 3 users Like Papi's post
07-05-2015, 07:34 AM
I think we are also a threat because we want science taught in the classroom--not creationism. This scares the bejesus out of them because then maybe--just maybe-- their kids might start thinking on their own and say "Wait a minute the Bible doesn't make sense." In their minds, atheists teaching science can tear their kids away from the Lord--which, in their minds, will result in eternal damnation for their children. Science questions God--that is heresy in the christian church.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post