Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 07:34 AM
RE: Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice
So I read "Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice," and the stupid brain goes...

...now, I like T.J., but I wouldn't say he's our best spokesperson. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 09:44 AM
(06-05-2015 10:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I liked the whole idea of being able to see my family/friends who had passed on again... in heaven.

Post-belief, I also am puzzled about who, exactly, it is that we "meet in heaven." What version of my brother, who died at age 30, would I encounter — and what version of me would he encounter? The 2-year-old who used to climb out of bed and come visit his big brother? Or the post-lung-transplant guy who changed from looking like someone with AIDS (he had CF) to a blond version of Jerry Garcia? Would he experience me as the angry, drug-using lunatic I was at the time of his death, or the older, slightly less insane version of me now?

Yeah, yeah, I know, God works in mysterious ways (in other words, nothing Christians say has to make sense). I guess we're supposed to accept some vague notion that "pure" spiritual beings come into communion blah blah. But then, what's the point of meeting grandma again?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 10:10 AM
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)claywise Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 10:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I liked the whole idea of being able to see my family/friends who had passed on again... in heaven.

Post-belief, I also am puzzled about who, exactly, it is that we "meet in heaven." What version of my brother, who died at age 30, would I encounter — and what version of me would he encounter? The 2-year-old who used to climb out of bed and come visit his big brother? Or the post-lung-transplant guy who changed from looking like someone with AIDS (he had CF) to a blond version of Jerry Garcia? Would he experience me as the angry, drug-using lunatic I was at the time of his death, or the older, slightly less insane version of me now?

Yeah, yeah, I know, God works in mysterious ways (in other words, nothing Christians say has to make sense). I guess we're supposed to accept some vague notion that "pure" spiritual beings come into communion blah blah. But then, what's the point of meeting grandma again?

Belief in afterlife is not about logic, only about fear of death, about longing for loved ones. One is not supposed to dissect it like you just did, which is also true for religion in general. So as for grandma - you're supposed to be happy that you will meet her and not think about it too much.

And of course you're also supposed to pay, but isn't grandma worth it?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-05-2015, 10:21 AM
(07-05-2015 07:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think we are also a threat because we want science taught in the classroom--not creationism. This scares the bejesus out of them because then maybe--just maybe-- their kids might start thinking on their own and say "Wait a minute the Bible doesn't make sense." In their minds, atheists teaching science can tear their kids away from the Lord--which, in their minds, will result in eternal damnation for their children. Science questions God--that is heresy in the christian church.
It also hastens those rose colored glasses they have for their parents falling off. As a parent myself, I don't look forward to the day my daughters look at me and think ," I thought he was soo smart.."..No But I also look forward to it in a way ...but....I'll still fake it as long as I can.... Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Papi's post
07-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Weirdly I wasn't fussed about the idea of no heaven at all. I can't fathom spending eternity loving everyone in the world, nor could I consider spending it with my extended family a good thing.

No, for me what kept me believing longer than I should was hell. It was very upsetting to let go of the idea that really bad, terrible people who get away with murder aren't ever held accountable ever for their actions and hurt.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-05-2015, 10:45 AM
You can read the paper for free here:

http://sci-hub.bz/3d7e7dc27ce160b72c564a...ok2015.pdf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 11:34 AM
(06-05-2015 09:36 PM)claywise Wrote:  Unfortunately, you can only read the abstract of this paper, "What If They're Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice" here.

I'm doubtful of the conclusions being drawn, but I can't read the actual study since it's behind a pay wall. But TMT reveals that the sort of opposition that's created by morality salience, is directed towards parties that stands in opposition to ones worldview, immigrants, muslims, etc...

If the experiment was conducted the other way around, with atheists, we'd likely see their own opposition towards the religious being effected, and intensified. It's not a coincidence that our current anti-religious sentiments, anti-theism was fueled by the fires for 9/11.
07-05-2015, 11:35 AM
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)claywise Wrote:  

Agreed, it's nuts... supposedly you get new spiritual bodies...

1 Corinthians 15:44 "They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies."

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 11:36 AM
(07-05-2015 10:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 09:44 AM)claywise Wrote:  Post-belief, I also am puzzled about who, exactly, it is that we "meet in heaven." What version of my brother, who died at age 30, would I encounter — and what version of me would he encounter? The 2-year-old who used to climb out of bed and come visit his big brother? Or the post-lung-transplant guy who changed from looking like someone with AIDS (he had CF) to a blond version of Jerry Garcia? Would he experience me as the angry, drug-using lunatic I was at the time of his death, or the older, slightly less insane version of me now?

Belief in afterlife is not about logic, only about fear of death, about longing for loved ones. One is not supposed to dissect it like you just did, which is also true for religion in general. So as for grandma - you're supposed to be happy that you will meet her and not think about it too much.

When everyone you trust believes something is true church/friends/family/neighbors/community --it is much harder to question things and see them as false.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
(07-05-2015 11:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 10:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Belief in afterlife is not about logic, only about fear of death, about longing for loved ones. One is not supposed to dissect it like you just did, which is also true for religion in general. So as for grandma - you're supposed to be happy that you will meet her and not think about it too much.

When everyone you trust believes something is true church/friends/family/neighbors/community --it is much harder to question things and see them as false.

Sure. But I think that if one is to grow then one should question. Certainty could be enemy of knowledge.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.