Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 11:47 AM
RE: Plausible explanation for anti-atheist prejudice
(07-05-2015 11:43 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 11:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  When everyone you trust believes something is true church/friends/family/neighbors/community --it is much harder to question things and see them as false.

Sure. But I think that if one is to grow then one should question. Certainty could be enemy of knowledge.

You would think--but you are taught early on not to question God's wisdom and then of course, as i mentioned before---the passages are massaged to take the disturbing nature out of them. Christians will also say things like--oh that was a different time, a different place....etc.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
(07-05-2015 11:47 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 11:43 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Sure. But I think that if one is to grow then one should question. Certainty could be enemy of knowledge.

You would think--but you are taught early on not to question God's wisdom and then of course, as i mentioned before---the passages are massaged to take the disturbing nature out of them. Christians will also say things like--oh that was a different time, a different place....etc.

Of course, without indoctrination there would be no religion. If not for indoctrination who would say that biblical genocidal tyrant is benevolent father?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-05-2015, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 01:34 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(07-05-2015 11:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 09:36 PM)claywise Wrote:  Unfortunately, you can only read the abstract of this paper, "What If They're Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice" here.

I'm doubtful of the conclusions being drawn, but I can't read the actual study since it's behind a pay wall.

I posted a link to the full paper in the post above yours. Go back and give it a look.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the link to the full paper ghostexorcist. It got me thinking there must be some atheists who do believe in an afterlife. Where would I find them?

To expound on Mr. Boston's point, it reinforces that most (but not all) religions are not about God at all but ultimately about avoiding dealing with our own inevitable demise. I don't really consider myself an atheist, more of a non-dualist and pretheist. Any bullshit promise of some postmortem preservation of identity is utterly and completely untenable. Dualism hasn't been a serious metaphysical position since at least the existentialists and nihilists. You're temporary, deal with it. And dealing with it means celebrating it. It's the only thing which gives meaning to our pathetic little lives. Eternal life dilutes life to the point of being meaningless. What meaning could possibly be ascribed to a single moment (or even a lifetime) in an eternity of moments? Only in a finite set of moments can meaning be ascribed. Be here now bitches.

As far as being a pretheist, I think it's premature to talk about the existence of God if the religion presumes some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. You must first provide a tenable argument for your bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity before talk of God is even worth consideration. Many have tried, all have failed. That said, there are some religions which do not presume the bullshit. They are the only ones I find interesting.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-05-2015, 12:13 AM
You know, I've been thinking about something like this for a while now.

The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance.

On the subject of death, religion... at least Christianity, and quite a few others... likes to mess up this sequence. Somewhere around the bargaining or depression stage, the narrative comes in, "Hey! They're not REALLY dead! You'll see them again!" And then we're back to denial, and permanently stuck there. (And passing stupid laws that hurt society because the alternative is challenging that denial.)

And anything that moves them past denial, leads them to anger again.

I'm starting to think that's why the "Why are you trying to take away my comfort?" complaint about atheism feels so wrong. It's an unhealthy comfort, a false comfort. It's a comfort that's about avoiding the healing process, rather than engaging in it.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post