Pleasant Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Pleasant Discussion
Hey Martin let's start here, perhaps in a kind of alternating Q & A style conversation? If you'd like, feel free to ask the first question, whatever it may be, I will do my best to answer it in the fullest.
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 07:38 PM
RE: Pleasant Discussion
I know this thread wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to step in for a second anyway. I don't think I ever welcomed you to the site properly, so... Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 07:40 PM
(24-04-2010 07:22 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  Hey Martin let's start here, perhaps in a kind of alternating Q & A style conversation? If you'd like, feel free to ask the first question, whatever it may be, I will do my best to answer it in the fullest.

If I may suggest something. Martin and Unbeliever tend to butt heads constantly. If you want to have a real conversation between you and Martin, you may want to ask others to keep comments to a minimum, or just do this over e-mail. If you don't mind this turning into another general bickering forum, then no worries. Trust me, everyone wants a piece of Martin, and there isn't always enough of his time to go around.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
24-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Lol, thanks for the welcome Unbeliever; and thanks for the heads up Ashley; as to my reply?

No, I don't mind if others post upon this thread. Just try to keep in mind the name of the thread, and it's original purpose.
24-04-2010, 07:43 PM
(24-04-2010 07:40 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  If I may suggest something. Martin and Unbeliever tend to butt heads constantly.

Yeah, I know. I can't help it. Martin and I fit the Duelists description to a T.
But don't worry. I've already made a conscious resolution to stay out of this thread. Martin and I tend to take over all conversation here; I'm trying to give others a chance to participate, so I'm backing off a little bit. It's difficult to fight my tendency for knee-jerk postings, but I'm working on it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-04-2010, 07:49 PM

i'm free at the moment and slightly bored so may i ask a question i have about catholic religion to martin. it involves the metaphysical atributes of jesus. feel free to ignore i'll just ask it later elsewhere.

here goes jesus is the son of god but he is not a divine entity becuase there is only one and that is god. but neither is he human because he can perform miracles which doesnt suggest a human in the traditional sense atleast. so a mutation occurred through the hand of god, intelligent design if you will. but does that make jesus the first and last of a new species. if so wouldtn that make him better than humans ? i reckon most believers would say yes. but wouldnt that contradict the bible saying that humans are the highest beings on earth. not sure of the english translation as i'm dutch.

so my question to you martin is to give a lucid reply about the what jesus is without trying to sidestep the matter. i got that from a old lady i posed the question to. couldnt press on at the time. so recite if you like from the bible. i think i did so the answer must also be there right.

oh fun little trivia for you atheists i think i remember a documentary about archeolegist digging up what they thought to be the remains of jesus and running tests on them. perhaps someone can find a report about the dna of jesus. would be fun to see how it differed from normal humans. though it would remain inconclusive becuase jesus could still cue the miracles in and let god perform them or the wrong remains. but i'll leave the question about imaculate conception for another time.
24-04-2010, 07:57 PM

(24-04-2010 07:49 PM)ulfark Wrote:  i'm free at the moment and slightly bored so may i ask a question i have about catholic religion to martin. it involves the metaphysical atributes of jesus. feel free to ignore i'll just ask it later elsewhere.

here goes jesus is the son of god but he is not a divine entity becuase there is only one and that is god. but neither is he human because he can perform miracles which doesnt suggest a human in the traditional sense atleast. so a mutation occurred through the hand of god, intelligent design if you will. but does that make jesus the first and last of a new species. if so wouldtn that make him better than humans ? i reckon most believers would say yes. but wouldnt that contradict the bible saying that humans are the highest beings on earth. not sure of the english translation as i'm dutch.

so my question to you martin is to give a lucid reply about the what jesus is without trying to sidestep the matter. i got that from a old lady i posed the question to. couldnt press on at the time. so recite if you like from the bible. i think i did so if it most hold true the answer must also be there right.

oh fun little trivia for you atheists i think i remember a documentary about archeolegist digging up what they thought to be the remains of jesus and running tests on them. perhaps someone can find a report about the dna of jesus. would be fun to see how it differed from normal humans. though it would remain inconclusive becuase jesus could still cue the miracles in and let god perform them or the wrong remains. but i'll leave the question about imaculate conception for another time.

This answer would be simple on the phone, little harder on this site! And I really don't want to waste 40 minutes typing for you to say "I don't believe it" You spend 5 seconds I spend 40 minutes. So what should i do?
24-04-2010, 08:12 PM

(24-04-2010 07:57 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(24-04-2010 07:49 PM)ulfark Wrote:  i'm free at the moment and slightly bored so may i ask a question i have about catholic religion to martin. it involves the metaphysical atributes of jesus. feel free to ignore i'll just ask it later elsewhere.

so my question to you martin is to give a lucid reply about the what jesus is without trying to sidestep the matter. i got that from a old lady i posed the question to. couldnt press on at the time. so recite if you like from the bible. i think i did so if it most hold true the answer must also be there right.

This answer would be simple on the phone, little harder on this site! And I really don't want to waste 40 minutes typing for you to say "I don't believe it" You spend 5 seconds I spend 40 minutes. So what should i do?

hmm i distinctly remember asking you to not sidestep the matter. and i didnt just take 5 seconds i took quite some time thinking about it myself but without a 4 year study of theology i highly doubt i could solve it. so i am asking you. and i am not a atheist i actually think there are quite a few merits to believing from a neutral point of view. as long as its done in moderation. so i wouldt just throw your argument out the window. my primary goal isnt to defend my point or convince you it is to broaden my understanding of one of the biggest religions known to man. which is a big factor in the lives of believers and non believers alike.

i know i might have come off like a atheist seeing where i'm posting and all but i might also back you up should a opportunity arise. i also know a few flaws in science which might help you.

ps feel free to take you time though, ask anybody from the saddleback church for help if you need it. i dont think it is a easy question that can be easily answered. but i will at some point ask for a definitive answer from you.
24-04-2010, 08:19 PM

@Ulfark

Yes, because uncovering an entombed individual from that era, in the middle-east, is a terribly uncommon thing.
24-04-2010, 08:28 PM

(24-04-2010 08:12 PM)ulfark Wrote:  
(24-04-2010 07:57 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

hmm i distinctly remember asking you to not sidestep the matter. and i didnt just take 5 seconds i took quite some time thinking about it myself but without a 4 year study of theology i highly doubt i could solve it. so i am asking you. and i am not a atheist i actually think there are quite a few merits to believing from a neutral point of view. as long as its done in moderation. so i wouldt just throw your argument out the window. my primary goal isnt to defend my point or convince you it is to broaden my understanding of one of the biggest religions known to man. which is a big factor in the lives of believers and non believers alike.

i know i might have come off like a atheist seeing where i'm posting and all but i might also back you up should a opportunity arise. i also know a few flaws in science which might help you.

ps feel free to take you time though, ask anybody from the saddleback church for help if you need it. i dont think it is a easy question that can be easily answered. but i will at some point ask for a definitive answer from you.

Ok, I will spend the time, but if you give a simple reply like "not true" I will do my best to summon all the freaks from the games that Unbeliever quotes, to suck the life out of your body, or whatever it is they do!