Pleasant Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2010, 02:14 PM

RE: Pleasant Discussion
(26-04-2010 09:07 AM)ulfark Wrote:  well i never said that faith only had positive things to say that is something i leave to martin. but you are right it would be interesting to examine a child's psyche from a psycological point of view after being indoctrinated with a normal/moderate and extreme religions.

but in general i think they have to believe no questions asked till they are older and starting to pertinently ask questions and they are nipped in the bud with horror stories.

but martin will set me straight on that. wont you martin

nobody respond please except martin.

Not really sure what you mean, but my kids were indoctrinated, I mean attended Church every Sunday since they were 6 months old. They went to private Christian schools through Junior High. They now attend public High School, because I wanted them out in the real world to express themselves and to learn how to deal with others. They have evolution, abortion etc. debates in school and I encourage them to take the opposite side in the debate and I help them because I know the creationist side so well, I know what could trip up the creationist. My kids understand Critical thinking, most atheists misapply critical thinking on this site and I believe it is because they are young, they have never really applied critical thinking in the real world. They think because the hop online and find anyone with a counter argument they are critically thinking and they aren't.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 02:31 PM

that is actually a interesting question to ask what the demographic of this site is. i'll go first i am eighteen years old. i wonder what the average age of the atheist on this site is. might warant a poll.

back to point you countered by saying they also learned critical thinking which i wont doubt but it didnt answer my question of how they responded to you telling how the catholic religion worked. at some point they must have difficulty accepting one thing or another and ask for a explanation how do you typically deal with that. and do they actively persue knowledge about christianity or just learn it on a need to know basis. so basicly their view towards christianity dating back from their young years to their adolescent years when they are known to rebel. how does it change their view and so on. i want a detailed description of their responses throughout their life. but feel free to generalize a bit to make it under 3 pages. and if possible a generalization of their emotional state at the time.

but i reckon thats to much to ask even if you are a doting parent. so feel free to come with less
26-04-2010, 02:49 PM

(26-04-2010 02:31 PM)ulfark Wrote:  that is actually a interesting question to ask what the demographic of this site is. i'll go first i am eighteen years old. i wonder what the average age of the atheist on this site is. might warant a poll.

back to point you countered by saying they also learned critical thinking which i wont doubt but it didnt answer my question of how they responded to you telling how the catholic religion worked. at some point they must have difficulty accepting one thing or another and ask for a explanation how do you typically deal with that. and do they actively persue knowledge about christianity or just learn it on a need to know basis. so basicly their view towards christianity dating back from their young years to their adolescent years when they are known to rebel. how does it change their view and so on. i want a detailed description of their responses throughout their life. but feel free to generalize a bit to make it under 3 pages. and if possible a generalization of their emotional state at the time.

but i reckon thats to much to ask even if you are a doting parent. so feel free to come with less

I am going on a bike ride, so briefly, they have never attended the Catholic Church, I did, and I think the Catholic Church does not follow Biblical Doctrine. Some say the Catholic Church is satan's biggest achievement as it is just enough truth mixed in to a whole bunch of lies. I will think about the rest of the question during the next 25 miles. If of course I don't get hit by a truck.
26-04-2010, 02:59 PM

right.................................

a simple thats too much work so screw you would suffice you know
if i got that wrong feel free to ignore and post your response.

but what do you mean by the catholic church doesnt follow biblical doctrine it seems to me it is supposed to. i would love some elaborate explanation.
26-04-2010, 04:21 PM
One user, Nahuel, started a poll on age a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up. He also started a TTA Map.

Anyway, there seem to be multiple discussions going on here, the two main ones being the problem of evil and free will. Perhaps these two should be moved to separate threads to prevent clutter?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 05:01 PM

A wise decision Unbeliever. I'm 21 by the way.
26-04-2010, 05:18 PM

(26-04-2010 02:59 PM)ulfark Wrote:  right.................................

a simple thats too much work so screw you would suffice you know
if i got that wrong feel free to ignore and post your response.

but what do you mean by the catholic church doesnt follow biblical doctrine it seems to me it is supposed to. i would love some elaborate explanation.

Why would you say this "a simple thats too much work so screw you would suffice" I told you a short answer, I also said I was going on a 25 mile bike ride, I know it is hard to believe, but this board is not my life, I have kids, I trade foreign currency basically round the clock, uncalled for! Really makes me want to spend an hour writing you a three page email.
26-04-2010, 05:41 PM

That reaction really was rather rough Ulfark.
26-04-2010, 06:00 PM

well sorry but i say worse stuff than that to my friends on well almost a weekly basis at least. so that seeps into ones normal reaction pattern. but when i first read the short response it felt like he was sidestepping the matter while saying he will get back to me which he probably wont. i really dont like it when people are creating false hopes by making promises they wont keep. i would rather have the straight harsh truth, so i know what to expect and what not. it reminded me a bit about my partner for a school project i had to pass to graduate. he kept on giving vague excuses and made false promises. i lost a lot of points, because of him not doing the stuff he was supposed to. ''a simple thats too much work so screw you '' was something i (almost) wanted to come out of his mouth so i could just cut him loose. turned out to be a bit traumatic perhaps. i still cant believe what things he seemed to hold more important than graduating so i just unconciously flipped. so yet again i offer my apologies.

and i would still like to have that 3 page e mail.
27-04-2010, 05:50 AM

(25-04-2010 06:53 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(25-04-2010 05:57 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  You're asking if I think the problem of evil is a valid objection to theism? First of all, no, but I won't go into the details here, as that isn't the topic at hand. Secondly, stop trying to change the subject.

No that is not where I am going. Not trying to change the subject. I will respond to this and the science post from earlier.

Unbeliever lives in a theoretical world, a hypothetical world, and for a good portion of his day a fantasy world. Because of his age, my guess is if he has never even had a job or if he did it is a lower level entry position. He has never had to make a budget, raise money for a project, convince the banks to lend him money or get benefactors to provide funding for his latest project. He has his classes, his video games and internet connection that provides him with answers to questions that he knows nothing about. Much like a priest giving out marriage advice, he talks about science and natural law, and all that science does is explain the world that we see. And I can tell you, you're dead wrong. So step away from the video games and ask your science chairs were they get the money for the buildings you set in? What benefactors donated to build the classrooms and labs you sit in? My guess is everyone of them was a "for profit business" and not with his and others on this sites definition " Science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding"

First off, it seems you're a bit too obsessed with Unbeliever. What is it, martin, his age? The fact that he's bested you on many occassions and the only way to 'get back at him' is through personal insults? If you want to attack someone, attack me...I'm 37 and, if we are to take your definition of what Unbeliever 'is not', then that is what 'I am'. I have a house, a mortgage, kids, been in the workforce since I was 16...tell me, is that experience enough for you?

Also, what does money, benefactors, and any of the other gibberish you stated have to do with your original argument? I'm confused by your statement... Huh
(26-04-2010 06:00 PM)ulfark Wrote:  i really dont like it when people are creating false hopes by making promises they wont keep.

Isn't that the definition of 'religion'? Smile
(26-04-2010 02:14 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(26-04-2010 09:07 AM)ulfark Wrote:  well i never said that faith only had positive things to say that is something i leave to martin. but you are right it would be interesting to examine a child's psyche from a psycological point of view after being indoctrinated with a normal/moderate and extreme religions.

but in general i think they have to believe no questions asked till they are older and starting to pertinently ask questions and they are nipped in the bud with horror stories.

but martin will set me straight on that. wont you martin

nobody respond please except martin.

Not really sure what you mean, but my kids were indoctrinated, I mean attended Church every Sunday since they were 6 months old. They went to private Christian schools through Junior High. They now attend public High School, because I wanted them out in the real world to express themselves and to learn how to deal with others. They have evolution, abortion etc. debates in school and I encourage them to take the opposite side in the debate and I help them because I know the creationist side so well, I know what could trip up the creationist. My kids understand Critical thinking, most atheists misapply critical thinking on this site and I believe it is because they are young, they have never really applied critical thinking in the real world. They think because the hop online and find anyone with a counter argument they are critically thinking and they aren't.

So, martin, what will happen when one of your kids comes up to you and tells you that they are Atheists?