Pleasant Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2010, 09:01 PM

RE: Pleasant Discussion
hmm well lets see if i can make up a story outline

in ancient times in greek mythology greek heros sometimes rivalled the gods even put them in moral peril perhaps but never defeated them. showing the abolute superiority of the gods. how about a game that pulls them from their trone with modern weoponry. you bound them by giving them a physical shape and a set of powers and they draw there power level from the amount of believers so you would go on a quest to educate the populace making god weaker till he can be killed with a atomic bomb wich will be purchased by selling the rights to a breakthrough in science. so you would have to go on several quest to aquire the goods and get atheist points by researching science or converting other people. and fighting of waves of religious people advocating we must save the fallen god. but to make this work this god has to be malevolent or else it wont work storywise. how to convince a populace who believed without proof now that they have it. unless it proofs it is a evil god.

or perhaps make it along he lines of my altime favorite game god of war in which kratos originally a mortal sets out to kill the gods and succeeds in gory glory
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 09:10 PM
(24-04-2010 09:00 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Alright, I'll bite. Why should I get that game?

Hm, let's see. Well, unlike a lot of puzzle games I've played, it actually requires the use of logic - in fact, it's a great exercise in logic to try and reconstruct the events of the night from the evidence that you have. Secondly, it's insanely clever - the crimes are all new and force you to think in new ways. It never gets dry, because every one is different. It also gets to the point where it's simply mind-bogglingly difficult, but never frustrating. It's always fun to figure it out, even though you feel like your neurons are sizzling. Case in point: the final case of the original game. It's also very, very cleverly written and is laugh-out-loud hilarious in several places.

Quote:I've never been a fan of hose kinds of games

That "kind"? I thought the AA series was the only lawyer game out there. It's a genre unto itself.

Quote:so is the Ace Attorney series vastly above average?

Oh, yeah. Even compared to other game genres (Tongue).
(24-04-2010 09:01 PM)ulfark Wrote:  or perhaps make it along he lines of my altime favorite game god of war in which kratos originally a mortal sets out to kill the gods and succeeds in gory glory

Never cared for the God of War series - I tend to prefer games along the lines of Fallout 3 and Castlevania - but I thought this Penny Arcade comic was pretty funny.

[Image: 814155141_3dnYd-L.jpg]

Anyway, I'm derailing the thread, so I'll shut up about video games now.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 10:00 PM

In all seriousness, perhaps we should invite some articulate Christians or Catholics to the site. Afterall, some discussion is good at times; and in all fairness, Martin is one of the few that appear to be here.
24-04-2010, 10:02 PM

(24-04-2010 10:00 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  In all seriousness, perhaps we should invite some articulate Christians or Catholics to the site. Afterall, some discussion is good at times; and in all fairness, Martin is one of the few that appear to be here.

I am the only one here, and I won't take offense to the articulate Christian comment!
24-04-2010, 10:03 PM
(24-04-2010 10:00 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  In all seriousness, perhaps we should invite some articulate Christians or Catholics to the site. Afterall, some discussion is good at times; and in all fairness, Martin is one of the few that appear to be here.

The only one, I think.

Anyway, if anyone else can find any theists who would care to join the site, I wouldn't mind having more here. What good is a discussion forum without multiple viewpoints?

- Terry Pratchett
24-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Respectful it also a good plus.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2010, 11:07 PM

how about we take turns arguing either side of the story. i could drum up some theories that question the secularization thesis pioneered by durkheim and weber which led to the conclusion that becuas science is advancing people are becoming less religious. if i disprove secularization is actually happening then there is no correlation to suggest the advance of science has anything to do with it. other than the fact that it has taken on different forms as opposed to the past. due to changing of era and the religion along with it but maintains it basic functions.

but i'll have to get back on you later for that as i'm a bit tired and i need to look up the right philosopher who said it. luckily i have a final exam on the relation between science and religion so i know where to look. my textbook which has caused me to yell i hate this sonovabitch so many times. its in chapter 4 just need to find it and break it down in bite size chunks for you guys. unless you are familiar with philosphy
24-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Yes, I am familiar with philosophy; as vague as that is.

Sure we can ping one another, I see no trouble with that at all. ^_^ I'll go first:

The agnostic position is superior to the atheistic position, as we can not know that there is no supernatural presence within the universe.
24-04-2010, 11:13 PM
(24-04-2010 11:11 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  The agnostic position is superior to the atheistic position, as we can not know that there is no supernatural presence within the universe.
Who says we can't be both?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2010, 11:14 PM
(24-04-2010 11:11 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  Yes, I am familiar with philosophy; as vague as that is.

Sure we can ping one another, I see no trouble with that at all. ^_^ I'll go first:

The agnostic position is superior to the atheistic position, as we can not know that there is no supernatural presence within the universe.

The agnostic position you are (pretending) to argue for is inherently flawed, as it uses the false dichotomy fallacy. According to you, we have to choose between atheism and agnosticism. According to reality, we can - and, logically, should - choose both.

EDIT: I'm afraid I won't be participating in the masquerade... it's extremely difficult for me to pretend to support a position which I know to be false. I can't fake an argument. Doing so grates on my nerves and makes me feel dirty inside. But I can argue against the positions you guys want to bring up.

- Terry Pratchett