Pleasant Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2010, 11:19 PM

RE: Pleasant Discussion
Be careful atheists! We have two new people and they are saying "in all seriousness, perhaps we should invite some articulate Christians or Catholics to the site. Afterall, some discussion is good at times; and in all fairness, Martin is one of the few that appear to be here."or "how about we take turns arguing either side of the story." "The agnostic position is superior to the atheistic position, as we can not know that there is no supernatural presence within the universe."

I smell a Christian in atheist clothes. Ceryle and ulfark, show us your atheist papers!!!
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 11:22 PM
You're right! They must be GUBMINT DISINFO! OH NOES

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Haha, Unbeliever, wow, that took you what? A whole five seconds to realize my charade? ^_^

Hehe, fair enough, and that is a good reason. I shall attempt to uncover reasonable arguments and bring them forth. Just not tonight as it's one in the morning. >_< Tomorrow perhaps.
25-04-2010, 12:22 AM

ah crap i left my club id at home it really isnt that hard to forget you know it has hell flames and a trident on it. oh well .

and what the hell is gubmint disinfo

and for the sake of the argument i'll tell you my mother is a christian though she never taught me anything about. and i am brought up to never and i mean never insult my mother (i have been rude but i have never insulted my mother) so calling christians morons isnt something i would likely do becuase i would also insult my mother. and i do try to respect other religions but sometimes i just cant help it. when i hear creationists talking nonsense it makes me kinda annoyed. the reason i stumbled onto this site was becuas of that funny clip on youtube about top ten creationist arguments and i was always interested in the contradictions in the bible.

but i could just as easily undermine science anyday even though i love it. but willing and able are two different things science has less obvious holes than religion.
25-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Considering science is a methodology in understanding the world, and quite frankly one of the best ones developed to date. I would be curious to see the flaws that you notice in it, from your point of view.

Also, I have been told, and I can also easily imagine, that breaking free of a continuously reinforced ideology, where you are taught not to question your belief, and that faith is oh so important, I can see how it would be very difficult to undo the meme that might be instilled since childhood. Mind you, I am not directing this at you Ulfark, it is just my ramblings inspired by reading what you wrote.
25-04-2010, 11:16 AM

(25-04-2010 10:16 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  Considering science is a methodology in understanding the world, and quite frankly one of the best ones developed to date. I would be curious to see the flaws that you notice in it, from your point of view.

Also, I have been told, and I can also easily imagine, that breaking free of a continuously reinforced ideology, where you are taught not to question your belief, and that faith is oh so important, I can see how it would be very difficult to undo the meme that might be instilled since childhood. Mind you, I am not directing this at you Ulfark, it is just my ramblings inspired by reading what you wrote.

This is going to be really simplistic, so read between the lines.

Since I am way older than most on this site, I remember a time before microwave ovens, fax machines, Fedex, cell phones, cordless phones, internet, email etc. All these things when they came out promised us more free time, ask your parents, do they have more free time? Think about what all those computers etc are made out of and how it effects the environment. I have taken a book that is recyclable, bury it in the ground and eventually it will be gone, and replaced it with Kindle or Ipad, bury that in the ground and it will still there. We have medicine, can't argue with that, except a lot of it is curing the things that we have caused by ourselves, pollution, work environments making the toxic products we use. And is living longer a good thing? We will have to deal with over population, aging work forces, increased medical costs etc. We have to make our cars safer, because we had to make them bigger and faster, I wonder how many people died in Model T Ford?

Life is great for females, they can have fake boobs, fake lips, no wrinkles, but at what cost? Women of the past would do laundry and iron cotton clothes, but that was to much work, so let's use man made materials, so they don't wrinkle, but at what cost to us has been passed on?

I will write at some point about atheists and science when I have the time, and I gather a few things to prove my point. It will be along those same lines as above.
25-04-2010, 11:33 AM
(25-04-2010 11:16 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Since I am way older than most on this site, I remember a time before microwave ovens, fax machines, Fedex, cell phones, cordless phones, internet, email etc. All these things when they came out promised us more free time, ask your parents, do they have more free time?

That's advertising, not science.

Quote:<snip>

I will write at some point about atheists and science when I have the time, and I gather a few things to prove my point. It will be along those same lines as above.

Then don't bother, because you missed the point. The things that you listed are misapplications of the knowledge science gives us. They are not flaws in science itself. Science is simply the study of the world around us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
25-04-2010, 12:12 PM

(25-04-2010 11:33 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(25-04-2010 11:16 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Since I am way older than most on this site, I remember a time before microwave ovens, fax machines, Fedex, cell phones, cordless phones, internet, email etc. All these things when they came out promised us more free time, ask your parents, do they have more free time?

That's advertising, not science.

Quote:<snip>

Then don't bother, because you missed the point. The things that you listed are misapplications of the knowledge science gives us. They are not flaws in science itself. Science is simply the study of the world around us.

No you have a simplistic view of science!
25-04-2010, 12:22 PM
How many times do I have to tell you, martin, that merely saying "Nuh-uh" means nothing? Explain how my view of science is incorrect, o wise guru, or admit your own mistake.

25-04-2010, 12:25 PM

(25-04-2010 12:22 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  How many times do I have to tell you, martin, that merely saying "Nuh-uh" means nothing? Explain how my view of science is incorrect, o wise guru, or admit your own mistake.

Wow the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

"Explain how my view of science is incorrect" Your quote. Because it is, when something is so ridiculous, it doesn't require any more of a response.