Pleasant Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-04-2010, 12:29 PM
RE: Pleasant Discussion
(25-04-2010 12:25 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(25-04-2010 12:22 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  How many times do I have to tell you, martin, that merely saying "Nuh-uh" means nothing? Explain how my view of science is incorrect, o wise guru, or admit your own mistake.

Wow the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

"Explain how my view of science is incorrect" Your quote. Because it is, when something is so ridiculous, it doesn't require any more of a response.

What part of "explain" do you not understand? You can say that I am wrong all you want, but until you actually show how, your claim is dismissed.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2010, 12:35 PM

(25-04-2010 12:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(25-04-2010 12:25 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(25-04-2010 12:22 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  How many times do I have to tell you, martin, that merely saying "Nuh-uh" means nothing? Explain how my view of science is incorrect, o wise guru, or admit your own mistake.

Wow the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

"Explain how my view of science is incorrect" Your quote. Because it is, when something is so ridiculous, it doesn't require any more of a response.

What part of "explain" do you not understand? You can say that I am wrong all you want, but until you actually show how, your claim is dismissed.

People say LOL and they are not really laughing out loud, I am laughing out loud!!!!! You do that all time, I say something and you say "No it doesn't"
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2010, 12:38 PM
No, martin, I back up my claims with evidence. But you are trying to shift attention away from the issue at hand, as usual. What I do doesn't matter, and pretending that it does is that ad hominem tu quoque fallacy. Now either back up your position or admit that you cannot.

- Terry Pratchett
25-04-2010, 12:47 PM

ok i i found the piece of literature but its going to take a while to translate. and i thought if i did a good job of bringing it convincingly i should put it somewhere where its more acccesible. and its gonna be long reallly long. so put your thinking caps on and keep a eye out for a new thread unless someone insists i do it here.

and i clearly stated my mother did not teach me morals or anything from the bible. i never saw a bible till i needed one for religion class at my school. the never insult bit comes from the culture my mothers originates from. where the parents had absolute authority and she expects the same from us. i've only been to a church a few times and thats either for tourist reasons or wedding and funerals just once did i attend mass and i was bored and puzzled about the customs they used. but no offence taken i might just be a random fool who will believe anything and never question. but i gotta ask for the other roommate to get out of my head. apperantly he is a bad influence on me.

ps someone respond to my a theoretical exploration that deduces god as insecure and sadistic.
25-04-2010, 12:57 PM

My apologizes Ulfark, I must have missed that post somewhere, can you point me in the right direction so that I may respond appropriately?
25-04-2010, 01:23 PM

its a thread on the front page of the forum somewhere in the middle and it has a poll and it has the name a theoretical exploration that deduces god as insecure and sadistic.
25-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm going to try and translate what Martin means, when he says "Incorrect". I believe he is getting at how technological advancements, though science, has caused humanity to start a self-destructive pattern, via pollution and what-not.

The issue with this, is that Martin(presuming my detective work is correct) is confusing reckless capitalism with science. Science is a systematic and rigorous way of examining our world. Science brings forth new discovery, with was produce no technologies, which is then distributed, often recklessly, to the general public. Science is at the core of the matter, but it not the problem. I would assign the blame to reckless capitalists, those who doesn't really care what side-effects may come with their products. Science is innocent.

Keep in mind that everything is a web. Science allows for advancements in agriculture, which makes certain foods more widely available, which can allow for different food products to be sold. We can't blame tractors, something that would allow for change in agriculture, for our obesity rate caused by junk food, just because the two are indirectly related.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2010, 01:58 PM
(25-04-2010 01:46 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Well, I'm going to try and translate what Martin means, when he says "Incorrect". I believe he is getting at how technological advancements, though science, has caused humanity to start a self-destructive pattern, via pollution and what-not.

The issue with this, is that Martin(presuming my detective work is correct) is confusing reckless capitalism with science.

Yep, that's it exactly.

- Terry Pratchett
25-04-2010, 02:12 PM

but that might still be a valid point. we also claim gun manufacturers are bad and not just those who use them.the reason science is deemed innocent of say molecular dividing that led to the atomic bomb is because it also led to other important things that were benificiary to mankind.

so the question is, is the one who gives others the ability to do bad also bad. hmm this sounds a bit like the devil. or do we pardon him because he makes up for it with a few good deeds. which reminds me of those letters you could buy in the dark ages from the church to pardon yourself of your sins. does it really or is it just a hoax to ease the mind of those who did wrong.
25-04-2010, 02:37 PM
(25-04-2010 02:12 PM)ulfark Wrote:  but that might still be a valid point. we also claim gun manufacturers are bad and not just those who use them.the reason science is deemed innocent of say molecular dividing that led to the atomic bomb is because it also led to other important things that were benificiary to mankind.

No. Like martin, you're confusing science with its applications. Science is just study. What you do with the results of that study has nothing to do with the science itself.

- Terry Pratchett