Please Help - Research Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 06:15 PM
RE: Please Help - Research Project
And what exactly has pleazyjeazy done to make the world a better place...in the name of gawd?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I wonder what percentage of "charitable" acts were actually trades. Deeds paid as the price for admittance to the VIP upstairs...
18-12-2013, 06:54 PM
(18-12-2013 12:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Definitely not all philanthropists, but here's a big list of more well known atheists and free thinkers. Scanning the list I'm sure you could spot more than a few.

http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Main_P...irect=true

I'm going with Larry Flynt and Rodney Dangerfield. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-12-2013, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 08:09 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(18-12-2013 11:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Please list all the atheist/freethinkers you can who've done large-scale and/or famous philanthropic and charitable acts.

Thanks.

I know your little "research project" was supposed be that you ask this question and then all us evil atheists won't have an answer and we all yell "ERMAHGERD! WE CAN'T THINK OF ONE! WE BETTER RUN TO JESUS!" However, I'm willing to throw in a suggestion: How about the Dalai Lama, or Thích Nhất Hạnh? Yeah, I know, you're thinking "Hey, they're not atheist or freethinkers! They're Buddhists!"

Well, considering they don't believe in a god, and that they think that the only way to find truth in anything is to question it until you can't question it anymore, I'd say they fall into the atheist/freethinkers category. In fact, here is a good quote by Thích Nhất Hạnh: “Usually when we hear or read something new, we just compare it to our own ideas. If it is the same, we accept it and say that it is correct. If it is not, we say it is incorrect. In either case, we learn nothing.”

Beware with following people like them though, they have a lot of crazy ideas:

They feel that people should have compassion for all sentient beings, from the tiniest ant to the giant blue whale.

They don't believe in forcing their ideas upon others.

They think that our purpose in life is to achieve true happiness, and that we do that by having compassion for others and helping them - not just people. but ALL living things.

They don't think that you can call yourself a Buddhist and then go around treating others like they are lower than you, stealing, or being completely empty of compassion when it's needed most. For example, when a hurricane or tsunami hits someplace you feel compassion for those people and do what you can to help them by having food drives and things like that. You don't coldly look upon them and say that providence is punishing them.

You can't just preach about having compassion for people and helping others, you actually have to DO it!

Somebody like you is much better off sticking to that Christian thing. You know:

Treating those that don't share your beliefs like they are heathens.

Telling people who don't follow your ways that they are going to suffer eternal torture.

Using natural disasters as opportunities to explain to people why your beliefs should be pushed on others by using the victims as an example of what happens to those who don't follow your ways, yet at the same time telling them that your god loves them.

Whether you actually did anything good for others doesn't matter, because so long as you say you follow the Christian god, then you're a good person - whether you truly take the time to help others is irrelevant (I mean, hey, you go to church services on Sunday and preach all that "love thy neighbor" and "thou shalt not kill and steal" crap, so what does it matter what your actions are? Going to church makes up for it!).

Yeah, better stick to that Christian thing.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
18-12-2013, 07:50 PM
(18-12-2013 07:15 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Treating those that don't share your beliefs like they are heathens.

Hey, I proudly own my heathenicity. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
18-12-2013, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 08:11 PM by Free Thought.)
Looks like yet again, PJ's plan to make us look silly lies in more ruin than the supposed city of Sodom.

It'd be adorable if it weren't pitiful.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
18-12-2013, 08:49 PM
(18-12-2013 03:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 03:17 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How about the LRA?
I'm not sure whether the atrocities the LRA committed can be classified as genocide both because of their motives and because of the fact that only a couple hundred people were killed.

I don't have a problem conceding that Hitler wasn't the most recent Christian to commit genocide, though he is without a doubt the most notable one.

That's fair enough. I'd agree that he's the most noteworthy one in the last hundred years.
19-12-2013, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 05:22 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(18-12-2013 03:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Adolf Hitler would be the most recent example. Consider
I believe that he was a raised Catholic deist not a christian.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
19-12-2013, 05:43 AM
(19-12-2013 05:19 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I believe that he was a raised Catholic deist not a christian.
Oh boy, here we go again. Dodgy

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."
-Adolf Hitler, to General Gerhard Engel, 1941

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. ..."
-Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

"By its decision to carry out the political and moral cleansing of our public life, the Government is creating and securing the conditions for a really deep and inner religious life. The advantages for the individual which may be derived from compromises with atheistic organizations do not compare in any way with the consequences which are visible in the destruction of our common religious and ethical values. The national Government sees in both Christian denominations the most important factor for the maintenance of our society. ..."
-Adolf Hitler, speech before the Reichstag, March 23, 1933

"And so I believe to-day that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. In standing guard against the Jew I am defending the handiwork of the Lord."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 46

"The yoke of slavery is and always will remain the most unpleasant experience that mankind can endure. Do the Schwabing decadents look upon Germany's lot to-day as 'aesthetic'? Of course, one doesn't discuss such a question with the Jews, because they are the modern inventors of this cultural perfume. Their very existence is an incarnate denial of the beauty of God's image in His creation."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 107

"What we have to fight for is the necessary security for the existence and increase of our race and people, the subsistence of its children and the maintenance of our racial stock unmixed, the freedom and independence of the Fatherland; so that our people may be enabled to fulfil [sic] the mission assigned to it by the Creator."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 125

"It is just at those junctures when the idealistic attitude threatens to disappear that we notice a weakening of this force which is a necessary constituent in the founding and maintenance of the community and is thereby a necessary condition of civilization. As soon as the spirit of egotism begins to prevail among a people then the bonds of the social order break and man, by seeking his own personal happiness, veritably tumbles out of heaven and falls into hell."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 160

"In short, the results of miscegenation are always the following:
(a) The level of the superior race becomes lowered;
(b) physical and mental degeneration sets in, thus leading slowly but steadily towards a progressive drying up of the vital sap.

The act which brings about such a development is a sin against the will of the Eternal Creator. And as a sin this act will be avenged. Man's effort to build up something that contradicts the iron logic of Nature brings him into conflict with those principles to which he himself exclusively owes his own existence. By acting against the laws of Nature he prepares the way that leads to his ruin."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 162

"How devoid of ideals and how ignoble is the whole contemporary system! The fact that the churches join in committing this sin against the image of God, even though they continue to emphasize the dignity of that image, is quite in keeping with their present activities. They talk about the Spirit, but they allow man, as the embodiment of the Spirit, to degenerate to the proletarian level. Then they look on with amazement when they realize how small is the influence of the Christian Faith in their own country and how depraved and ungodly is this riff-raff which is physically degenerate and therefore morally degenerate also. To balance this state of affairs they try to convert the Hottentots and the Zulus and the Kaffirs and to bestow on them the blessings of the Church. While our European people, God be praised and thanked, are left to become the victims of moral depravity, the pious missionary goes out to Central Africa and establishes missionary stations for negroes [sic]. Finally, sound and healthy - though primitive and backward - people will be transformed, under the name of our 'higher civilization', into a motley of lazy and brutalized mongrels."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 226

"Look at the ravages from which our people are suffering daily as a result of being contaminated with Jewish blood. Bear in mind the fact that this poisonous contamination can be eliminated from the national body only after centuries, or perhaps never. Think further of how the process of racial decomposition is debasing and in some cases even destroying the fundamental Aryan qualities of our German people, so that our cultural creativeness as a nation is gradually becoming impotent and we are running the danger, at least in our great cities, of falling to the level where Southern Italy is to-day. This pestilential adulteration of the blood, of which hundreds of thousands of our people take no account, is being systematically practised [sic] by the Jew to-day. Systematically these negroid parasites in our national body corrupt our innocent fair-haired girls and thus destroy something which can no longer be replaced in this world. The two Christian denominations look on with indifference at the profanation and destruction of a noble and unique creature who was given to the world as a gift of God's grace. For the future of the world, however, it does not matter which of the two triumphs over the other, the Catholic or the Protestant. But it does matter whether Aryan humanity survives or perishes. And yet the two Christian denominations are not contending against the destroyer of the Aryan humanity but are trying to destroy one another. Everybody who has the right kind of feeling for his country is solemnly bound, each within his own denomination, to see to it that he is not constantly talking about the Will of God merely from the lips but that in actual fact he fulfils [sic] the Will of God and does not allow God's handiwork to be debased. For it was by the Will of God that men were made of a certain bodily shape, were given their natures and their faculties. Whoever destroy His work wages war against God's Creation and God's will."
-Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", page 310

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post