Please Help a Future Military Chaplain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
RE: Please Help a Future Military Chaplain
(11-11-2015 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 09:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Catholics are baptized at birth or as children. If you are baptized once by another religion they don't do it again. Once you've been confirmed then you're a Catholic.

So a Catholic would make no such request. Ever.

I'm sure they'll cover the relevant bits of what you can and can't do in Chaplin school. Smile

Chaplin school?

[Image: Charlie%20Chaplin%201920x1080.jpg]
Catholics are christened at birth. It is not exactly viewed as a baptism. It is later when a catholic goes through confirmation are they then baptized.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2015, 09:54 AM
(11-11-2015 08:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 06:47 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. I was not referring to confession. I was being quite literal with my example. As far as suicide. He still cannot tell anyone that someone is talking about killing himself. What a chaplain would do in this case is stay with the service member as long at it takes for him to overcome the suicidal thoughts.

Is that ethically, or legally?

ETA: You said quote " Chaplains are protected by law and cannot be forced in ANY circumstances to disclose ANYTHING to ANYONE for ANY REASON." "Cannot be forced" does not equate to "must be quiet about it at all times".

If a soldier confessed an actual murder to you, would you tell or keep silent?

I appreciate that the Christian magical thinking tradition is that you keep everything in the silence of the confessional but I cannot believe that *that* is what is legally required of you.
Legally and ethically. If a chaplain violates that rule he or she can be court marshaled.

And yes is someone confesses a murder to a chaplain that chaplain cannot report him.
11-11-2015, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 10:05 AM by jason_delisle.)
In regards to the regulations for the chaplain confidentiality, here is the regulation you can google.

SECNAV Instruction 1730.9: Confidential Communications to Chaplains

If you read the regulation there is no exceptions mentioned. Including suicidal thoughts or confessions to murder.
11-11-2015, 10:10 AM
(11-11-2015 09:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 08:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Is that ethically, or legally?

ETA: You said quote " Chaplains are protected by law and cannot be forced in ANY circumstances to disclose ANYTHING to ANYONE for ANY REASON." "Cannot be forced" does not equate to "must be quiet about it at all times".

If a soldier confessed an actual murder to you, would you tell or keep silent?

I appreciate that the Christian magical thinking tradition is that you keep everything in the silence of the confessional but I cannot believe that *that* is what is legally required of you.
Legally and ethically. If a chaplain violates that rule he or she can be court marshaled.

And yes is someone confesses a murder to a chaplain that chaplain cannot report him.

You could set up a nice little side business selling hints about what you heard. Kind of an Oracle/prophety thing.

(Just kidding)

I find the confidentiality rule equal amounts troubling and reassuring, but I guess there are work arounds that you would learn.
11-11-2015, 10:25 AM
(11-11-2015 10:10 AM)julep Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 09:54 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Legally and ethically. If a chaplain violates that rule he or she can be court marshaled.

You could set up a nice little side business selling hints about what you heard. Kind of an Oracle/prophety thing.

(Just kidding)

I find the confidentiality rule equal amounts troubling and reassuring, but I guess there are work arounds that you would learn.
I guess to give an example in regards to why this "sacred trust" is so vital, let's just say that a Marine murders someone. This Marine then becomes so overwhelmed with grief and regret that he needs help. Because of the strict abidance to confidentiality that chaplains must uphold, a chaplain may be the only person that this Marine may feel comfortable talking to. That chaplain would help him get through some of the issues and work towards convincing that Marine to report himself.

Btw...that oracle thing sounds scrumptious.
11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
More back on point. OP, so if a person who you do not know comes to you to talk about something they have seen or done, would you approach it as a minister of the faith, or as another human being that they could talk to? I am curious how you would see yourself handling this scenario.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-11-2015, 10:33 AM
(11-11-2015 09:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Catholics are christened at birth. It is not exactly viewed as a baptism. It is later when a catholic goes through confirmation are they then baptized.

Nope.

http://www.aboutcatholics.com/beliefs/a-...c-baptism/

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/infant-baptism

But I think you might be interested in knowing that...

"Anyone can perform a baptism, however this is typically done only in extreme cases in which someone’s life is in danger. The Catholic Church has ordinary ministers for sacraments and those are bishops, priests, and sometimes deacons. An ordinary minister is one who has been entrusted with the authority to perform the sacrament although the responsibility for performing a sacrament can usually be delegated. For example, a bishop is the ordinary minister for Confirmation, but can give permission to a priest to do a Confirmation; a priest does not have the authority to do a confirmation without the permission of his bishop. However, priests do have the authority to do baptisms without the permission of the bishop and sometimes delegate the responsibility to a deacon if one is available.

Most baptisms are done by a priest or deacon when the person is an infant, but there are extreme cases when even an unbaptized person can baptize someone. All that is required is “the will to do what the Church does when she baptizes, and to apply the Trinitarian Baptismal formula.” If this is done it is usaully because someone is lying on his/her deathbed and they truly desire to become Christian. How is this type of Baptism valid you ask? Well, the Church believes in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation (1 Timothy 2:4, John 3:5).”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-11-2015, 10:37 AM
(11-11-2015 10:25 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 10:10 AM)julep Wrote:  You could set up a nice little side business selling hints about what you heard. Kind of an Oracle/prophety thing.

(Just kidding)

I guess to give an example in regards to why this "sacred trust" is so vital, let's just say that a Marine murders someone. This Marine then becomes so overwhelmed with grief and regret that he needs help. Because of the strict abidance to confidentiality that chaplains must uphold, a chaplain may be the only person that this Marine may feel comfortable talking to. That chaplain would help him get through some of the issues and work towards convincing that Marine to report himself.

Btw...that oracle thing sounds scrumptious.
Ok there is one exception that information given to a chaplain may be seen by some else is in the event a chaplain dies another chaplain will be appointed to go through the records and belongings to ensure all information is destroyed.
11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
(11-11-2015 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 09:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Catholics are baptized at birth or as children. If you are baptized once by another religion they don't do it again. Once you've been confirmed then you're a Catholic.

So a Catholic would make no such request. Ever.

I'm sure they'll cover the relevant bits of what you can and can't do in Chaplin school. Smile

Chaplin school?

Duck it. You know my phone hates me. Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2015, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 11:58 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(11-11-2015 09:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Chaplin school?

Catholics are christened at birth. It is not exactly viewed as a baptism. It is later when a catholic goes through confirmation are they then baptized.

No, not at all. I've known many converted Catholics that were never rebaptized only those adults who were never baptized before or aren't sure if they were are given that right. But if you call yourself catholic that's all been done.

Catholics believe in one baptism. If you are baptized as a baby in any faith they do not redo it to make pure. I was baptized in the Lutheran church to appease my grandmother. It wasn't redone when I was confirmed catholic.

You might be thinking of last rights or something else.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces