Please Help a Future Military Chaplain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 07:34 PM
RE: Please Help a Future Military Chaplain
(11-11-2015 05:15 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is not correct.

Catholics practice infant baptism.

Christening == baptizing

Baptism vs. Christening

Even though the words baptism and christening are used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference. Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church.

In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated.

Baptism represents a deliberate act of identification with the person of Jesus Christ and his Church. This decision implies a personal relationship with Jesus that requires nurturing through such things as worship, prayer, Bible study and other spiritual disciplines.

Basically you are right, a christening is also called "infant baptism" but it is not entirely the same as a baptism at confirmation. The christening in more traditional in nature and is believed to remove "original sin". However the infant is obviously too young to have learned about Jesus and is not competent enough to have made the deliberate decision to accept him. The baptism is done during the sacrament of confirmation where a member goes through 2 years of school to learn about The Catechism of the Catholic Church (church doctrine ). Once they have received their training they then are able to make the decision for themselves if they want to accept Jesus. Then comes their baptism.

Here is the link from the Vatican if you feel like some light reading.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s2c1a1.htm

Nope sorry...again I was christen/baptized in a LUTHERAN church as a baby. When I was later confirmed I was just confirmed there was NO baptism.

One child was actually baptized only because he never was by any church earlier.

The rest of us weren't, because catholics believe in ONE baptism.

We get our first communion years earlier before the confirmation. That announces that we now are responsible for sin.

But you might be confused since we renew our previous baptism, in a way that's similar to a god parent. The godparent isn't baptized again, but similar words are used.

Once a Catholic is a catholic there is absolutely zero reason for them to ask to be baptized again, going further no priest in the whole catholic church would agree to such a thing. It's considered heretical.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2015, 07:39 PM
(11-11-2015 07:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 05:15 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Baptism vs. Christening

Even though the words baptism and christening are used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference. Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church.

In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated.

Baptism represents a deliberate act of identification with the person of Jesus Christ and his Church. This decision implies a personal relationship with Jesus that requires nurturing through such things as worship, prayer, Bible study and other spiritual disciplines.

Basically you are right, a christening is also called "infant baptism" but it is not entirely the same as a baptism at confirmation. The christening in more traditional in nature and is believed to remove "original sin". However the infant is obviously too young to have learned about Jesus and is not competent enough to have made the deliberate decision to accept him. The baptism is done during the sacrament of confirmation where a member goes through 2 years of school to learn about The Catechism of the Catholic Church (church doctrine ). Once they have received their training they then are able to make the decision for themselves if they want to accept Jesus. Then comes their baptism.

Here is the link from the Vatican if you feel like some light reading.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s2c1a1.htm

Nope sorry...again I was christen/baptized in a LUTHERAN church as a baby. When I was later confirmed I was just confirmed there was NO baptism.

One child was actually baptized only because he never was by any church earlier.

We get our first communion years earlier before the confirmation. That announces that we now are responsible for sin.

But you might be confused since we renew our previous baptism, in a way that's similar to a god parent. The godparent isn't baptized again, but similar words are used.

Once a Catholic is a catholic there is absolutely zero reason for them to ask to be baptized again, going further no priest in the whole catholic church would agree to such a thing. It's considered heretical.
Ok. I stand corrected. I digress.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
(11-11-2015 07:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nope sorry...again I was christen/baptized in a LUTHERAN church as a baby. When I was later confirmed I was just confirmed there was NO baptism.

Ok. I stand corrected. I digress.

There are lots of misconceptions about Catholics believe and don't.

I still giggle when people say that I (used to) pray to Mary. Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
That's OK.

Anytime you need to know something about religion or the Bible, TTA is the place to ask. There are people here who know more about those subjects than pretty much anyone else.

We need a new thread: "Ask an atheist if you want to know the truth about religion".

Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-11-2015, 07:50 PM
(11-11-2015 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's OK.

Anytime you need to know something about religion or the Bible, TTA is the place to ask. There are people here who know more about those subjects than pretty much anyone else.

We need a new thread: "Ask an atheist if you want to know the truth about religion".

Angel

[Image: a1a0ebb2dc70ec9b108fc325e2e286c3.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like jason_delisle's post
11-11-2015, 07:56 PM
(11-11-2015 07:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's OK.

Angel

You should have been there when I was asked to fill in at a RICA class. That was quite uncomfortable for me.

I ended up begging off saying I was busy. But yeah....can you imagine?

Not to mention I have a horrible potty mouth...Smile

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Back to the original topic.... have another link, Jason, assuming you haven't seen this site already.

http://militaryatheists.org/chaplain/

It's aimed a bit more at chaplains who haven't already decided to reach out the way you have, but it has lots of links to what (to my casual, uneducated glance) look like good resources.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
12-11-2015, 10:59 AM
(11-11-2015 07:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 12:42 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes. But the Colonial who made the request and approved it out ranked me.

Can someone 'splain to me the difference between a colonel and a colonial ?
Are they REALLY old service people, or do they enlist them from the colonies ?

colonel - a military rank
colonial - that which is from the colon

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-11-2015, 11:02 AM
(12-11-2015 10:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Can someone 'splain to me the difference between a colonel and a colonial ?

[Image: 003a3e41cefbc9cc116493c5ebeffad4.jpg]

Colonial

[Image: cd77a4af1c8b5f038af221de110d974a.jpg]

Colonel
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
12-11-2015, 11:04 AM
(12-11-2015 10:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 07:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Can someone 'splain to me the difference between a colonel and a colonial ?

Huh?

Colonel - that which is from a male colon
Colonial - that which is from a female colon

Or so I thought.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post