Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 04:00 PM
RE: Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
my reply C&P from previous Thread...............

ohhh my goodness wich one to choose from....

1) Years or physical and sexual abuse and there was no god or angel there to protect me
2) My daughter being born with a heart condition, then getting a brain tumor, and then needing a donor knee.... This being the one child in my family that was very religious an spiritual... and she got hit with 3 big things so far.
3 ) another daughter has incurable cancer
4 ) when i really began to pay attention to the news
5 ) ohhh man this could go on for days............................. I shall stop now

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2013, 04:12 PM
AlaskaMom, I'm so sorry for all you've been through and are still enduring. If you need to vent, we are here. I hope you have support where you are as well.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 4 users Like cjs's post
24-05-2013, 04:13 PM
every day convinces me. Not once since my eyes have opened and I refused to go to church anymore have I ever felt doubt or stopped to think "hey wait a minute that seems weird".
24-05-2013, 04:16 PM
(24-05-2013 03:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Catholic boy falls in love with Jewish girl...all hell breaks loose!

Them Jewish girls... devil's work. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I always feel slightly envious of people who said they never believed. I think when I was little, I wanted to believe because my parents seemed to be thorough believers. I wanted to please them....maybe. I dunno. I honestly don't like dwelling on it that much.

And I have to remember no one else lived my life but me. So I do think I can cut myself a little slack.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-05-2013, 05:30 PM
I almost did not respond to this because it is somewhat weird and a little complicated.

I had started to rebel against church about the time I was 10 or so. At first I was bored and missing 49er road games and found some of the stuff not just confusing but hard to believe. I continued to sort of believe in a god out of fear of "hell". I convinced myself that if I was more or less good god would not punish me forever.

Then circa 1965-66 when I was in my late teens I had a sort of political epiphany. I realized that by accident of birth I would probably have a reasonable life, decent pay, a good job, I would probably be able to buy a house. The perceived good life. The telling idea was by accident of birth, others by accident of birth would be lucky to survive to the same age I was. It occured to me that this was a terrrible way to order society and economics. Simple accident of birth could make your life decent or poor and short.

I began to see religion as a control mechanism like other control mechanisms. The police and the legal system, weighted toward the rich and against the poor. The political systems which were/are grossly influence by the rich. I saw religion as fitting in as a control measure. Toe the line or you will be punished.

But the real hook was that the reward was after death. Your life may be shit but don't worry heaven awaits. I saw this as an idea intended to make christians accept being screwed on earth. Also an idea that they could screw earth with impunity.

At that point I rejected religion in any form and by extention the existence of god in any form. Well maybe the god that exists in the redwoods, or in rocks or in the animals but they are all earthly gods.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
24-05-2013, 05:55 PM
(24-05-2013 04:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I always feel slightly envious of people who said they never believed. I think when I was little, I wanted to believe because my parents seemed to be thorough believers. I wanted to please them....maybe. I dunno. I honestly don't like dwelling on it that much.

And I have to remember no one else lived my life but me. So I do think I can cut myself a little slack.

I feel the same way. It always makes me envious and feeling a bit stupid that it has taken me this long to figure out as much as I have managed.

I have a rather active and powerful imagination. I'm pretty skilled at lying to myself apparently.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
24-05-2013, 05:55 PM
(24-05-2013 05:42 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No. I knew. At that moment it dawned on me that god was nothing more than the fictitious product of people trying to control me. If god was real he wouldn't be so narrow-minded. And I was only eight.

I also consider many beliefs in God to be of a God with a view more narrow than even we humans are capable of, but if God was real, God would be real no matter how narrow- or wide-minded God was.

Also, I'd suggest you rephrase your statement about God being the fictitious product of people trying to control you.
24-05-2013, 05:56 PM
(24-05-2013 03:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Catholic boy falls in love with Jewish girl...all hell breaks loose!
The hypocrisy of both religions hit me like a ton of bricks.
Your religions and your gods can all go fuck themselves...
And now here I am Cool

Always searching for the truth, always questioning authority.

Well....don't leave us hanging! What about the Jewish girl? What became of her?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
24-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned from being buried in a Jewish cemetery.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.