Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 07:16 PM
RE: Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
(24-05-2013 05:56 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 03:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Catholic boy falls in love with Jewish girl...all hell breaks loose!
The hypocrisy of both religions hit me like a ton of bricks.
Your religions and your gods can all go fuck themselves...
And now here I am Cool

Always searching for the truth, always questioning authority.

Well....don't leave us hanging! What about the Jewish girl? What became of her?

You might be sorry you asked.

After three years we broke up. But during those three years her father never spoke to me, the irony was that he married a Christian that converted to Judaism.

My parents never stopped telling me how she would not enter the Kingdom of Heaven since she didn't believe in Jeebus.

During this time my mother went into a manic depression. Overdoses, slitting of wrists and as far as I know mostly because I was in love with this girl. On several occassions I found my mother comatose having taken bottles of sleeping pills. I remember telling my younger brothers (at the time 17, 16 & 10) to call 911 while I held her in my arms under the shower.

On other occassions I had to break down doors only to find her bleeding while holding a knife to herself. Once I was headed out the door to see my girlfriend when I passed my mother in the kitchen, she was sitting down and had a towel on her lap. Something struck me as odd and I spun around and removed the towel...she had a large knife in her hands. She told me if I saw my girlfriend again she'd kill herself. I don't know what came over me, maybe the years of this kind of torment and manipulation, I said if you're going to do it then do it in the shower so I can clean up the mess easier, and then I walked out shaking like a leaf and crying. I was 19 or 20.

But God loves everyone right? As long as they believe in what you believe. Eveyone else is fucked and going to Hell. This is why teaching this horseshit to children has to stop! It psychologically damages you for the rest of your life.

I'm damaged goods.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-05-2013, 07:20 PM
(24-05-2013 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 03:05 PM)amyb Wrote:  I was apparently too busy in my 20s to think about it much, but since then I've decided that there are better ways to express my disgust than pooping on churches.

Other than burning them down? Consider

'Tis ever the black metal way. Drinking Beverage

[Image: tumblr_m48a91trE11r4yp0qo1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lrhsbnZZ9n1qfojmvo1_400.jpg]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
24-05-2013, 07:23 PM
(24-05-2013 07:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This is why teaching this horseshit to children has to stop! It psychologically damages you for the rest of your life.

I'm damaged goods.

Hug

That's six acres of fucked up.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-05-2013, 07:25 PM
(24-05-2013 05:55 PM)fat cat Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 05:42 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No. I knew. At that moment it dawned on me that god was nothing more than the fictitious product of people trying to control me. If god was real he wouldn't be so narrow-minded. And I was only eight.

I also consider many beliefs in God to be of a God with a view more narrow than even we humans are capable of, but if God was real, God would be real no matter how narrow- or wide-minded God was.

Also, I'd suggest you rephrase your statement about God being the fictitious product of people trying to control you.

Why would he need to "rephrase" that statement? Consider I see nothing wrong with that statement. Why are you picking apart his comments more than anyone else'?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
24-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure really, I was never really taken in by religion.

I remember once reading passages of the bible when I was 12 of 13 and thinking how much it reminded me of the fairy tale books I had been reading just a few years before that.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
24-05-2013, 08:14 PM
(24-05-2013 07:25 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 05:55 PM)fat cat Wrote:  I also consider many beliefs in God to be of a God with a view more narrow than even we humans are capable of, but if God was real, God would be real no matter how narrow- or wide-minded God was.

Also, I'd suggest you rephrase your statement about God being the fictitious product of people trying to control you.

Why would he need to "rephrase" that statement? Consider I see nothing wrong with that statement. Why are you picking apart his comments more than anyone else'?

He is isn't he? I find that fat cat seems to miss sarcasm and often the main point of a statement. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-05-2013, 08:16 PM
(24-05-2013 07:25 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 05:55 PM)fat cat Wrote:  I also consider many beliefs in God to be of a God with a view more narrow than even we humans are capable of, but if God was real, God would be real no matter how narrow- or wide-minded God was.

I think the person is being a bit nit picky about "you" in that. As if Mark somehow believes that religion was invented only to convince him. I find it the tenor to be a bit harsh. But maybe they feel they have a reason to single out Mark Fulton?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-05-2013, 08:21 PM
(24-05-2013 12:59 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Atheism tends to be a slow process. I think few people have a "moment". Some do, but it doesn't always work that way.

Yep. Mine just gradually came on between (i'm guessing) about the 9th grade and graduation from high school. No sudden revelation, just a gradual realization about the ridiculousness of all the many different beliefs that I was beginning to come across - for this one, drinking is a sin, for that one, booze is ok but mixed sex swimming is damning, for all of them that disgusting dance of the Devil, The Twist, is condemning our kids to hell.
[+] 2 users Like morlock's post
24-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
(24-05-2013 07:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 05:56 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Well....don't leave us hanging! What about the Jewish girl? What became of her?

After three years we broke up. But during those three years her father never spoke to me, the irony was that he married a Christian that converted to Judaism.

My parents never stopped telling me how she would not enter the Kingdom of Heaven since she didn't believe in Jeebus.

During this time my mother went into a manic depression. Overdoses, slitting of wrists and as far as I know mostly because I was in love with this girl. On several occassions I found my mother comatose having taken bottles of sleeping pills. I remember telling my younger brothers (at the time 17, 16 & 10) to call 911 while I held her in my arms under the shower.

On other occassions I had to break down doors only to find her bleeding while holding a knife to herself. Once I was headed out the door to see my girlfriend when I passed my mother in the kitchen, she was sitting down and had a towel on her lap. Something struck me as odd and I spun around and removed the towel...she had a large knife in her hands. She told me if I saw my girlfriend again she'd kill herself. I don't know what came over me, maybe the years of this kind of torment and manipulation, I said if you're going to do it then do it in the shower so I can clean up the mess easier, and then I walked out shaking like a leaf and crying. I was 19 or 20.

But God loves everyone right? As long as they believe in what you believe. Eveyone else is fucked and going to Hell. This is why teaching this horseshit to children has to stop! It psychologically damages you for the rest of your life.

I'm damaged goods.

Wow. I really don't know what to type. Hug? That was not the fun response I expected.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
24-05-2013, 09:49 PM
(24-05-2013 07:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 05:56 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Well....don't leave us hanging! What about the Jewish girl? What became of her?

I'm damaged goods.
Huh

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that, FC. That is terrible, mental abuse. I can't imagine going through that.

I don't even know what to say. I keep trying to think of SOMETHING, but no words are coming other than what I already wrote. Hug

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post