Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2013, 03:49 PM
RE: Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
The final straw for me was being right on the tipping point and watching a few Darkmatter2525 videos questioning the morality and efficacy of some of God's decisions in the old testament. When it was clear to me that my own morality was superior to God's supposed morality there was no longer any reason to believe.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
25-05-2013, 04:04 PM
(25-05-2013 07:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 06:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  But Mrs. Lincoln, other than that, how did you enjoy the play? Angel

PS This just went into the Words I Want To Remember thread.

Oops, I don't know what happened this morning, I thought I had posted it. Huh
The mistake has been corrected, a real gem Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 06:41 AM)fat cat Wrote:  I generally don't like sarcasm, because it's an approach to pointing out falsity, presumption, absurdity, etc that has conventionally been intended as insult, and I would prefer we human beings stop intentionally insulting each other.

I understand where you are coming from on the issue, but I tend to not share your sentiment. Sarcasm is one of the more prominent tools of communication that I like to use. I don't know why, it's just how I'm wired. In fact, if I am conversing with someone and do not use a healthy amount of sarcasm it means either a: I don't know you well enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation, or b: I simply don't like and/or respect you enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation.

While I can appreciate your penchant for concise, careful communication, I find it to be bland and rather inhuman. There are definitely places where it is appropriate, but if in everyday conversation you can't take a fucking joke, I'd advise a thicker set of skin.

I thought sarcasm to be a mostly Wester cultural idiosyncrasy. I've seen it predominantly in American and British humor. Perhaps I'm unable to identify it in other cultures.

However, I think it's incorrect to assume it is always meant as an insult. Among friends in America at least it is usually a way to lighten the tone of conversations. Consider it a shared joke if you will.

If you feel slighted by sarcasm that can be understandable. But it may not be wise to assume others' intentions.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
25-05-2013, 08:03 PM
(25-05-2013 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I think it's incorrect to assume it is always meant as an insult. Among friends in America at least it is usually a way to lighten the tone of conversations. Consider it a shared joke if you will.

If you feel slighted by sarcasm that can be understandable. But it may not be wise to assume others' intentions.

Right on. For better or for worse, I can't help being american. Telling me to not be sarcastic is like telling me to quit having freckles on my ass. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
25-05-2013, 08:10 PM
(25-05-2013 08:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I think it's incorrect to assume it is always meant as an insult. Among friends in America at least it is usually a way to lighten the tone of conversations. Consider it a shared joke if you will.

Right on. For better or for worse, I can't help being american. Telling me to not be sarcastic is like telling me to quit having freckles on my ass. Big Grin

I hope Gannon got his humor from you and his looks from his mom Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-05-2013, 11:04 PM
(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I understand where you are coming from on the issue

If by saying you "understand", you only mean you have an idea of where I'm coming from based on your own experiences, then I accept, but I believe you have taken more for granted than I have expressed.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Sarcasm is one of the more prominent tools of communication that I like to use. I don't know why, it's just how I'm wired.

Granted, but I hope you'll try to figure out why.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In fact, if I am conversing with someone and do not use a healthy amount of sarcasm it means either a: I don't know you well enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation, or b: I simply don't like and/or respect you enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation.

Hmmm...how do you consider that to be fact while you don't know why you like to use sarcasm? Smile

I consider all conversation "personal", because it occurs between persons. Regardless, when I expressed my general opinion on sarcasm, I was aware intentions and motivations behind using sarcasm are relative to individual people at individual instances. That sarcasm can be a "positive" and "personal" interaction was not unfamiliar to me.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  While I can appreciate your penchant for concise, careful communication,

Thanks for saying you appreciate that penchant. I hope that's an indication you have such a penchant, too.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I find it to be bland and rather inhuman.

Well...it has been a while since I've felt "human", perhaps primarily because I years ago realized the term "human" is "bland" when used as a distinction within human behavior.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  There are definitely places where it is appropriate, but if in everyday conversation you can't take a fucking joke, I'd advise a thicker set of skin.

My comments were irrelevant to my taking or not taking jokes, and I actually believe I can take any joke even without thick skin.

(25-05-2013 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  However, I think it's incorrect to assume it is always meant as an insult.

So do I. You misunderstood me if you thought I was saying anything about "always" or even any particular instances.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  If you feel slighted by sarcasm that can be understandable. But it may not be wise to assume others' intentions.

I don't feel slighted by sarcasm, and I don't think it's ever wise to assume others' intentions, because I don't believe I can perceive others' intentions.

(25-05-2013 08:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  For better or for worse, I can't help being american.

Yeah, because you are by definition "American" if you are from America, but Americans can help being sarcastic.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Telling me to not be sarcastic is like telling me to quit having freckles on my ass. Big Grin

Yeah, because you can choose to both end your sarcasm and remove your freckles, but otherwise, not being sarcastic and removing freckles are very different behavior. Smile
28-05-2013, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 12:28 AM by evenheathen.)
(27-05-2013 11:04 PM)fat cat Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I understand where you are coming from on the issue

If by saying you "understand", you only mean you have an idea of where I'm coming from based on your own experiences, then I accept, but I believe you have taken more for granted than I have expressed.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Sarcasm is one of the more prominent tools of communication that I like to use. I don't know why, it's just how I'm wired.

Granted, but I hope you'll try to figure out why.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  In fact, if I am conversing with someone and do not use a healthy amount of sarcasm it means either a: I don't know you well enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation, or b: I simply don't like and/or respect you enough to engage you in a truly personal conversation.

Hmmm...how do you consider that to be fact while you don't know why you like to use sarcasm? Smile

I consider all conversation "personal", because it occurs between persons. Regardless, when I expressed my general opinion on sarcasm, I was aware intentions and motivations behind using sarcasm are relative to individual people at individual instances. That sarcasm can be a "positive" and "personal" interaction was not unfamiliar to me.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  While I can appreciate your penchant for concise, careful communication,

Thanks for saying you appreciate that penchant. I hope that's an indication you have such a penchant, too.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I find it to be bland and rather inhuman.

Well...it has been a while since I've felt "human", perhaps primarily because I years ago realized the term "human" is "bland" when used as a distinction within human behavior.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  There are definitely places where it is appropriate, but if in everyday conversation you can't take a fucking joke, I'd advise a thicker set of skin.

My comments were irrelevant to my taking or not taking jokes, and I actually believe I can take any joke even without thick skin.

(25-05-2013 06:14 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  However, I think it's incorrect to assume it is always meant as an insult.

So do I. You misunderstood me if you thought I was saying anything about "always" or even any particular instances.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  If you feel slighted by sarcasm that can be understandable. But it may not be wise to assume others' intentions.

I don't feel slighted by sarcasm, and I don't think it's ever wise to assume others' intentions, because I don't believe I can perceive others' intentions.

(25-05-2013 08:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  For better or for worse, I can't help being american.

Yeah, because you are by definition "American" if you are from America, but Americans can help being sarcastic.

(25-05-2013 12:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Telling me to not be sarcastic is like telling me to quit having freckles on my ass. Big Grin

Yeah, because you can choose to both end your sarcasm and remove your freckles, but otherwise, not being sarcastic and removing freckles are very different behavior. Smile

I recall you responding to a post that I made that in no way, shape or form was directed at you. I respect your right to an opinion and I take all advice to heart, as long as it is respectfully given.

We are now at odds in a couple different threads and I'm not sure why. I can only guess that you're afraid that my dick is actually bigger than yours.

If I have offended you in any manner and not realized, I apologize for whatever incompetence you have that you feel challenging me might make better.

But I don't care. If you have a legitimate complaint, make it. Otherwise fuck off

Edit: For clarification, I am not being sarcastic. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-05-2013, 12:54 AM
(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I recall you responding to a post that I made that in no way, shape or form was directed at you. I respect your right to an opinion and I take all advice to heart, as long as it is respectfully given.

Like many people, I don't respond only to things directed at me. Also, I have not meant any disrespect toward you.

(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  We are now at odds in a couple different threads and I'm not sure why. I can only guess that you're afraid that my dick is actually bigger than yours.

You may feel at odds, but I don't. I'm comfortable with how small my dick is.

(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  If I have offended you in any manner and not realized, I apologize for whatever incompetence you have that you feel challenging me might make better.

I have not felt offended by anything you've said, whether you meant offense or not.

Generally, any challenge I make is not against any person, but against claims they make. Specifically, I have not ever felt or thought of myself as challenging you.

Generally, challenging things doesn't make me feel any particular way. Specifically, I have not felt "better" after partaking in this discussion

(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  But I don't care. If you have a legitimate complaint, make it.

What are your metrics for determining something is a "complaint" and a complaint is "legitimate/illegitimate"?

(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Otherwise fuck off

Do you think your dismissive attitude might contribute to your feelings of being at odds?

(28-05-2013 12:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Edit: For clarification, I am not being sarcastic. Tongue

Smile I hadn't even considered sarcasm in your post until reaching that line.
28-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote: You may feel at odds, but I don't. I'm comfortable with how small my dick is.

I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Tongue

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
29-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Smile

But so far I can recall using sarcasm on this message board twice, and each time I placed my sarcasm within sarcasm brackets to make it obvious, so aside from that, you have yet to see my sarcasm.