Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: Please Share The Experience That Confirmed You Were an Atheist/Agnostic
Smidgen, I too am sorry to hear about your son. I am glad you both are doing well now and that you were there for him when he needed you most. I'm also glad to hear that your ex is still in jail; he can't harm anymore children there. ~hope

"Believe me, nothing is trivial." ~Eric Draven
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2013, 05:15 PM
(29-05-2013 05:04 PM)desperate believer Wrote:  Smidgen, I too am sorry to hear about your son. I am glad you both are doing well now and that you were there for him when he needed you most. I'm also glad to hear that your ex is still in jail; he can't harm anymore children there. ~hope

Thank you. Our bright side was always that the stories that you hear about what happen to child molesters in jail is true shit.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
29-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I've heard tales that child abusers in prisons often get the worst treatment by the inmates should their guilt be brought to light...

They are interesting tales, I must admit; going by them, even the coldest of murderers have some integrity. But these are just tales I've been told; No real reason for me to believe them; I just chuckle at the thought. Hope you people can too.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I've been an atheist since high school; but the thing that confirmed my atheism was when I was serving in the military and had a fresh pair of dog tags made with no religious affiliation stamped on them. I originally had "Buddhist" stamped on my old ones because I identified with the philosophy and because I guess I felt I needed to rebel against the "Christian" majority. When time came to have the new pair made, I no longer felt it was necessary to list Buddhist since I was not an adherent of any of the theistic sects associated with the religion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
29-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Not tales by the prison guard that I once knew. He told me some scarey shit.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
29-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Smidgen I'm so sorry about what happened to your son and am proud of you for being there for your son.
29-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Probably became an atheist around the age of 5 during a Christmas pageant. I was supposed to be a little angel next to the manger near a girl dressed as Mary and some guy dressed as Joseph. Our instructions were to gaze into the manger which had a doll and under the doll was a light bulb to emit the glow of Jesus on stage.

I had no idea who Jesus was. Later, when I was about 7 or 8 someone explained to me that Jesus was the son of god but I knew the truth. He was a cheap plastic doll lying on top of a light bulb.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Though I always had my doubts, a big moment for me was when I went to talk to the priest about having my oldest child baptized. (I still thought that it was the right thing to do). He said that they would not do it because I wasn't married. My response was a question for him...if every child is a child of God how can you turn mine away because I am not married? She has no control over that. He had no answer. A couple years down the road, I asked to get married in the church and was again told no. This final break with the church solidified my break with belief. The hypocrisy of the Church bled over into the realization of the hypocrisy in the Bible.

The Catholic church successfully led me to non-belief. Turns out the baptism incident is also what caused my dad to rethink his Catholic affiliation and later his belief in God.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2013, 10:35 PM
(29-05-2013 08:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Though I always had my doubts, a big moment for me was when I went to talk to the priest about having my oldest child baptized. (I still thought that it was the right thing to do). He said that they would not do it because I wasn't married. My response was a question for him...if every child is a child of God how can you turn mine away because I am not married? She has no control over that. He had no answer. A couple years down the road, I asked to get married in the church and was again told no. This final break with the church solidified my break with belief. The hypocrisy of the Church bled over into the realization of the hypocrisy in the Bible.

The Catholic church successfully led me to non-belief. Turns out the baptism incident is also what caused my dad to rethink his Catholic affiliation and later his belief in God.
My story is a little similar to this. I feel a bit slow compared with some of you who figured this out before you even hit the double digits! But I was raised by a VERY Catholic mother, sent to private school, etc.

Like many, I had a series of small moments of doubt (starting in my early teens) that eventually led to me falling away from the church, but still retaining a generic belief in some sort of xtian God. 2 moments stand out to me as accepting my belief had fully waned. First was right after I met my second husband, we were at his house and listening to the Comedian Julia Sweeny do her atheist spiel. It didn't make me laugh, it made me cry, because I was totally right there....But I still put off FULL admission to myself.
Later, when I became pregnant with my daughter at age 33, I started looking into baptism and godparents and all of that. My husband is an atheist, but not pushy about it. He made some offhand comment about baptism being like VooDoo, doing a magic spell over the baby to confer some mystical protection, and it struck me that he was right! I finally accepted that I agreed it was all nonsense. I realized that if I lost the baby, I would never see her in "heaven". For some reason, being pregnant made it very important to sort through my own thoughts and beliefs...finally.

So yeah, series of moments small and large, capped by the final "aha" moment.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
~Man in Black
[+] 1 user Likes Aroura's post