Please help get rid of my fears

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2016, 07:56 PM
RE: Please help get rid of my fears
(02-11-2016 07:41 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  One of the things that might help is to break as many of the unspoken commandments as possible. You've taken care of "Thou Shalt not Doubt!" and "Thou Shalt not Question!" Next try out "Thou Shalt not Snicker!"

One of religion's big hooks is that "you have to respect it because..." Let's take care of that. Evil_monster Respect is earned and if you're laughing at it you aren't respecting its power over you.

I reccommend:

Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
Dogma (1999)
George Carlin, Tim Michin and a host of others.

"Jesus Christ who was the son of God, born of a virgin, crucified, ressurected and ascended bodily into heaven, can now be eaten as a cracker."

Oooh! I knew about Tim Minchin, but not the others somehow.

(Either way, Thank You God is my favorite song by Tim. It was one of the things that gave me a lotta joy when I first started breaking away.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Diddlyboop's post
03-11-2016, 06:36 AM
(02-11-2016 01:01 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Ahhh. Thank you so much, thank you thank you thank you. I swear, I've just been so nervous since I officially deconverted. I know the fears are supposed to fade over time and they definitely have as I've learned more and more, but there's always one thing or another that comes back to bite me and then the stupid scary woo comes back, like the magic Italian table cloth. Evil_monster

There's any particular thing that worries you?

I mean, are you only afraid of going to hell?

(Thank you god is my favorite Minchin's song too)

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
03-11-2016, 07:35 AM
At work.

Hello! Big Grin

(02-11-2016 11:31 AM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Hello, everyone. I've been an atheist for about a half a year now (and a very rough half year, I've got to say). Essentially my fears of hell spiked up and I immediately began looking up anything that could debunk Christianity and -- welp, thankfully there was way more to find there than I expected. Thumbsup

So I do feel mostly confident in my decision to leave Christianity behind and my fears of hell are almost entirely dissolved. Browsing this forum helped so much, I can't thank all of you enough. It almost makes me feel bad for coming to you about something as silly as this, but you're all more educated than me in about essentially everything when it comes to these matters so--

There's one thing that's still picking at my brain, one thing that just keeps making my panic return. Of course one of the things I was looking to debunk was the Shroud of Turin (I know, I know, it's PROBABLY fake, but my brain keeps nagging at me that it just might be legit). I read all of the threads here debunking it, and yet the fears just kept coming back.

The reason why is that in one of the responses I noticed that it was recently dated to 33-1270 (something along those lines I can't be bothered to go back and check right now I'm a lazy girl woops :lolSmile and even though at the latest it's dated to, well, obviously around the first time it was shown, I'm still wondering why at the earliest it was still set back to 33. It's been scaring me a lot and I'm really sorry to bother you all with something so silly but you've helped me so much so far and I was hoping you could help with this.

Hug Even if only electronically, we'll have your back! Thumbsup

Hug
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
03-11-2016, 12:35 PM
(03-11-2016 06:36 AM)Velvet Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 01:01 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Ahhh. Thank you so much, thank you thank you thank you. I swear, I've just been so nervous since I officially deconverted. I know the fears are supposed to fade over time and they definitely have as I've learned more and more, but there's always one thing or another that comes back to bite me and then the stupid scary woo comes back, like the magic Italian table cloth. Evil_monster

There's any particular thing that worries you?

Yep, hell has plagued me ever since I was a kid. I've read everything about how it really came to be (the mistranslations and such) but it's still hard to get that fear away, which is why I've been trying so hard to get as much info as I can to break the spell.

As I was growing older, I paid less and less attention to church and things like that and, hell, I might've been an atheist without even knowing it. God simply never crossed my mind. Then I visited a friend in the Bible Belt and those feelings of fear were revived, and literally made me sick because I was under the impression I was screwed no matter what and going to burn forever. Undecided

The shroud is one of my biggest worries simply because it's been tested so much and yet in spite of the dating people still talk about "all the evidence pointing to it being real" and I just get really scared.
03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
(03-11-2016 12:35 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 06:36 AM)Velvet Wrote:  There's any particular thing that worries you?

Yep, hell has plagued me ever since I was a kid. I've read everything about how it really came to be (the mistranslations and such) but it's still hard to get that fear away, which is why I've been trying so hard to get as much info as I can to break the spell.

As I was growing older, I paid less and less attention to church and things like that and, hell, I might've been an atheist without even knowing it. God simply never crossed my mind. Then I visited a friend in the Bible Belt and those feelings of fear were revived, and literally made me sick because I was under the impression I was screwed no matter what and going to burn forever. Undecided

The shroud is one of my biggest worries simply because it's been tested so much and yet in spite of the dating people still talk about "all the evidence pointing to it being real" and I just get really scared.

Fear is a powerful motivator, and religions use it the best.

It's also important to remember that lot's of people believe things to be real. But just because they believe it to be true. Doesn't make it true.

The first step to understanding is admitting you know nothing. I forget who said that I think it was Socrates. But I could be wrong.

Fact check often. Find multiple sources. Reliable preferable. Learn about the person making the statements. Sometimes you may find they have and agenda. Or that their views or finding are not accepted in that community.

Sometimes you might find out you were wrong about something. I've been corrected numerous times. If i say a statement that is wrong, and someone calls me out on it. I double check myself, and learn from my mistakes.

Often from the perspective of the believer they've figured everything out. They believe they are right. And refuse to shift. That is a problem.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
03-11-2016, 01:30 PM
What's this shroud business, and why should anyone care?
03-11-2016, 01:51 PM
(03-11-2016 12:35 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 06:36 AM)Velvet Wrote:  There's any particular thing that worries you?

It still doesn’t mean anything even if the shroud was proven to have been worn by Jesus himself (which it hasn’t). It wouldn’t prove anything other than he existed. It would not prove he was the son of God and would not prove he was resurrected.

Additionally, if you go the shroud is real and not fake route, the DNA found on the shroud has been contaminated and can tell nothing other than it was possibly worn by a male. So even if you choose to believe this hypothesis--it still will not prove that this was Jesus’ shroud. It could literally be the shroud of any crucified male (which there were many because the Romans used crucifixion quite frequently and shrouds were often used in burials).

Like I mentioned before, artifacts are discovered all of the time all over the world. Many are religious artifacts from various cultures of people. Does that mean that all of these religions must be real too since we found these religious artifacts? No, of course not. These religious artifacts wouldn’t bother you because they have no significance to you. The shroud is no different than any other religious artifact if found to be authentic--the only difference is the significance you give it.

Here are a few of the many religious artifacts found around the world (and many are way older than the shroud).

Religious figurine: Lion-Man from the Aurignacian culture, dated 40,000 BCE, found in Germany

[Image: Lion-man-of-the-Hohlenstein-Stadel-Aurignacian.jpg]

Here is a fertility statue, The Venus of Willendorf, from the Paleolithic period, dated 25,000 BCE, found in Austria.

[Image: 623px-Venus_of_Willendorf_frontview_retouched_2.jpg]

Here is a Haniwa figurine, used in rituals to bury dead, from Kofun period, dated 5th century, found in Japan.

[Image: 220px-Haniwa_Figure_of_a_Shamaness_79.278.1.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Sorry. I know I'm probably making you guys retread old ground. I'll try to get over this soon. Sad
03-11-2016, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 02:24 PM by Velvet.)
I ask that because in the extremely unlikely even that Yahweh is really god (as unlikely as Zeus being the real god), I wouldn't agree with his methods and morals, and would rebel.

That means I would probably go to hell on principle, knowing that whatever this almighty slaver might do, he won't get my respect.

I suppose that if Yahweh would be god then the whole myth would be true then, if so I would join Lucifer army to try to help defeat Yahweh celestial dictatorship =D, it would be lots of fun.

(Not trying to scare you, those events are so unlikely to happen as any other myth that came before them)

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 11:21 AM by Commonsensei.)
(03-11-2016 01:53 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Sorry. I know I'm probably making you guys retread old ground. I'll try to get over this soon. Sad

If not with you, then someone else.

And I rather be talking with some one sensible then some of the more "aggressive" theists we have on here.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post