Please help get rid of my fears

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 06:38 AM
RE: Please help get rid of my fears

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 08:25 PM
My god, no matter how many times I beat myself up over this, it just keeps coming back to bite me! Facepalm

While riding in the car, there was a discussion going on about blood types that I wasn't taking part in at all. Next thing I know, mom pipes up, "Y'know, for any AGNOSTICS out there," (I haven't mentioned I consider myself a full-on atheist yet. As you can see, there's still some jumping on me just for questioning at all) "The Shroud of Turin, which most people believe to be the real burial cloth of Jesus, has AB- blood on it. And he was even traced back to the lineage of David too, huh, imagine that!"

I of course imagine her evidence for the lineage claim is... well, just the bible, which provides conflicting ones...

As for the AB- blood, I don't know, I just wish this thing would stop being brought up. It scares me, I don't want to be wrong, I don't want to be this scared all the time.

Sometimes I'll check that shroud of turin debate on Amazon just to watch the religious ones get wrecked but even then my anxiety still spikes because "Oooh! They found this on the shroud which could only be found in one of the Jebus tombs!"

I'm getting so sick of this thing, sorry...
01-12-2016, 08:51 PM
(01-12-2016 08:25 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  My god, no matter how many times I beat myself up over this, it just keeps coming back to bite me! Facepalm

While riding in the car, there was a discussion going on about blood types that I wasn't taking part in at all. Next thing I know, mom pipes up, "Y'know, for any AGNOSTICS out there," (I haven't mentioned I consider myself a full-on atheist yet. As you can see, there's still some jumping on me just for questioning at all) "The Shroud of Turin, which most people believe to be the real burial cloth of Jesus, has AB- blood on it. And he was even traced back to the lineage of David too, huh, imagine that!"

I of course imagine her evidence for the lineage claim is... well, just the bible, which provides conflicting ones...

As for the AB- blood, I don't know, I just wish this thing would stop being brought up. It scares me, I don't want to be wrong, I don't want to be this scared all the time.

Sometimes I'll check that shroud of turin debate on Amazon just to watch the religious ones get wrecked but even then my anxiety still spikes because "Oooh! They found this on the shroud which could only be found in one of the Jebus tombs!"

I'm getting so sick of this thing, sorry...

Don't check amazon threads--those are just people speculating about things and voicing their opinions. It's clearly a trigger for you, so I think it's best to just stay away from things like that. Remember the posts from Rocketsurgeon. He has a degree in science (biology, I think?), so I would listen to what he has to say from looking into it over some random person on Amazon.

Lastly, the lineage of David comes from the OT. And the Jewish people will tell you, Jesus is not the messiah for a variety of reasons, including this one (from Aish.com):

Descendant of David

Many prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5)

The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24). According to the Christian claim that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father – and thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of being descended on his father's side from King David.

According to Jewish sources, the Messiah will be born of human parents and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-god, nor will he possess supernatural qualities.
22-01-2017, 11:52 AM
I am new here and didn't read this entire thread but I saw the Shroud of Turin once while it was on loan at a big cathedral in Germany . It's just an old piece of cloth. There is no real evidence that this is anything but a Catholic relic created to promote the Catholic religion.

As for going to hell, think about this. Almost all relics ( like the shroud) are Catholic. Yet they are only a small percentage of the human population. What about all the other Christians out there that don't have relics? Are they all going to hell because they are not Catholic? The Seven Day Adventists believe all Catholics will go to hell because they worship on Sundays and eat meat. The Lutherans believe relics are not necessary and the Catholics during the reformation period are going to hell because they sold indulgences.
There are entire huge countries out there ( China and India) with very few Christians, and all of those people are going to hell?
The whole thing is ridiculous. Why would a loving god that created everything send a majority of humans he supposedly created to hell? Not likely, not logical at all. So don't worry about it...
If there is a hell, and we go there, most of the rest of humanity will be there also
[+] 1 user Likes annie123's post
22-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Hey D'pop.

I cannot help you recover from religion. I was never there. It's always been shit to me. Since age 4.

There's a lot of good people trying to help, which is great.

I am not in their mindset/class I suppose. These poor bastards had to go through this shit.

However I have learned that shit is shit.

You don't need Rational wiki, (NO wiki is to be trusted) or any of that shit. BTW, that shroud dates from circa 15th century. We even have an idea who commissioned it. That's beside the point.

Ask yourself what seems real?

Everyone has trials and life is freakin' tough. That's life. At least that's what they say.

To me religion is like taking a perfectly good fruit and it dressing it up somehow, now the original fruit is nothing like it began.

Kind of like life.

What is dangerous about a style like xianity is that it is and always has been, a cult devoted to death.

Yeah, christianity is a death cult.

Doesn't sound very uplifting now eh? Smile

Concentrate on living. Life is tough enough without sticking a cult devoted to death in front of it.

Just drop it. You live.

Lucky sod. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-01-2017, 08:51 PM
I'm keeping on, everyone. It's getting better for me. The shroud hardly even crosses my mind anymore. So long as legit scientists aren't taking it seriously (and what honest scientist would take the supernatural seriously, at this point?), I don't see why I should either.

And I'm at the point now where I'm mostly over my fear of hell. Mostly. Getting there. Sometimes I think it's gone and then it sneaks up on me, but I'll be fine. Hell's the bigger problem now but no worries, it's mostly just silly leftover stuff at this point.
[+] 1 user Likes Diddlyboop's post
23-01-2017, 10:07 PM
D-boop, I don't know if you saw the video I posted elsewhere about the history of Hell, but suffice it to say that even serious (that is, non-evangelical, non-"it's all true no matter what") Christian scholars admit that Hell is a concept borrowed from pagan religions and was not actually a part of Jewish religion, even in the time of Jesus... and that what Jesus speaks about was a metaphor understood at the time, not a literal description of hell.

Christianity stole it, embellished it, and tacked it on to the religion, as they did with so many things.

Hope the scars from your brainwashing continue to heal, and that you find a greater peace.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
23-01-2017, 10:31 PM
(23-01-2017 10:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  D-boop, I don't know if you saw the video I posted elsewhere about the history of Hell, but suffice it to say that even serious (that is, non-evangelical, non-"it's all true no matter what") Christian scholars admit that Hell is a concept borrowed from pagan religions and was not actually a part of Jewish religion, even in the time of Jesus... and that what Jesus speaks about was a metaphor understood at the time, not a literal description of hell.

Christianity stole it, embellished it, and tacked it on to the religion, as they did with so many things.

Hope the scars from your brainwashing continue to heal, and that you find a greater peace.

Don't worry, I promise I watched it and read every single article you gave me. I can't be more grateful to you for all the info. ;u;

I know hell's a sham. The fear just spikes up outta nowhere and for no reason, is all. It's nothing more than something I have to shake off now.
[+] 1 user Likes Diddlyboop's post
24-01-2017, 12:42 AM
(03-11-2016 01:53 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  And I'm at the point now where I'm mostly over my fear of hell.

I won't bore you with the details, but hell began as a rubbish dump.

That's where they threw the bodies of those unable to afford a funeral. One did not wish to end in hell.

It was set alight at least once a month. Infested as you may imagine by rats and dogs.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
22-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Man oh man can I relate to the fear of hell!

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post