Please help get rid of my fears

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: Please help get rid of my fears
I know others must have asked this before, but do you guys fear Hades? Or Jahannam? Naraka?

If not, what makes the Xtian one so terrifying... other than the fact that you've been brainwashed into believing in this particular one. And let's be honest, you've only been brainwashed into believing in this particular one by pure geographic happenstance, nothing more, nothing less.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2017, 04:26 PM
All the logic in the world seems powerless to shift the fear. It's buried so deep into the subconscious it's almost immovable

All we can do is keep pummelling at it with logic and reason

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
02-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Diddly, and all

I am a late comer to TTA, and an even later comer to this thread... so feel free to ignore if you are past these fears, as I hope you are. I just came across this website today, discussing the evidence for (and mostly against) a historical Jesus, including a section on fraudulent (manufactured) artifacts. The entire page is verrrrrrry long, so I will just paste the section on SHROUD OF TURIN, with link to full webpage below that. Bottom line, it may be a "real" piece of cloth, but it never touched Jesus, dead or alive (if he did, in fact, exist in the first place). It has no more power or significance or meaning than the shirt on your back.... maybe less!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAKES, FRAUDS, AND FICTIONS

Because the religious mind relies on belief and faith, the religious person can inherit a dependence on any information that supports a belief and that includes fraudulent stories, rumors, unreliable data, and fictions, without the need to check sources, or to investigate the reliability of the information. Although hundreds of fraudulent claims exist for the artifacts of Jesus, I will present only three examples which seem to have a life of their own and have spread through the religious community and especially on internet discussion groups.

The Shroud of Turin

Many faithful people believe the shroud represents the actual burial cloth of Jesus where they claim the image on the cloth represents an actual 'photographic' image left behind by the crucified body.

The first mention of the shroud comes from a treatise (written or dictated) by Geoffroi de Charny in 1356 and who claims to have owned the cloth (see The Book of Chivalry of Geoffroi De Charny). Later, in the 16th century, it suddenly appeared in a cathedral in Turin, Italy. (Note that thousands of claimed Jesus relics appeared in cathedrals throughout Europe, including the wood from the cross, chalices, blood of Jesus, etc. These artifacts proved popular and served as a prosperous commercial device which filled the money coffers of the churches.) [See The Family Jewels for some examples.]

Sadly, many people of faith believe that there actually exists scientific evidence to support their beliefs in the shroud's authenticity. Considering how the Shroud's apologists use the words, "science," "fact," and "authentic," without actual scientific justification, and even include pseudo-scientists (without mentioning the 'pseudo') to testify to their conclusions, it should not come to any surprise why a faithful person would not question their information or their motives. Television specials have also appeared that purport the authenticity of the shroud. Science, however, does not operate though television specials who have a commercial interest and have no qualms about deceiving the public.

Experts around the world consider the 14-foot-long linen sheet, which has remained in a cathedral in Turin since 1578, a forgery because of carbon-dating tests performed in 1988. Three different independent radiocarbon dating laboratories in Zurich, Oxford and the University of Arizona yielded a date range of 1260-1390 C.E. (consistent with the time period of Charny's claimed ownership). Joe Zias of Hebrew University of Jerusalem calls the shroud indisputably a fake. "Not only is it a forgery, but it's a bad forgery." The shroud actually depicts a man whose front measures 2 inches taller than his back and whose elongated hands and arms would indicate that he had the affliction of gigantism if he actually lived. (Also read Joe Nickell's, Inquest On The Shroud Of Turin: Latest Scientific Findings)

Walter C. McCrone, et al, (see Judgment Day for the Shroud of Turin) discovered red ochre (a pigment found in earth and widely used in Italy during the Middle Ages) on the cloth which formed the body image and vermilion paint, made from mercuric sulphide, used to represent blood. The actual scientific findings reveal the shroud as a 14th century painting, not a two-thousand year-old cloth with Christ's image. Revealingly, no Biblical scholar or scientist (with any credibility), cites the shroud of Turin as evidence for a historical Jesus.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm
02-08-2018, 03:56 PM
(02-08-2018 03:40 PM)HeelaMonster Wrote:  Bottom line, it may be a "real" piece of cloth, but it never touched Jesus, dead or alive (if he did, in fact, exist in the first place). It has no more power or significance or meaning than the shirt on your back.... maybe less!

The Shroud of Turin? Um...I agree. It would be cool to wash my car with though.

02-08-2018, 03:58 PM
"Jerry are you done washing the...Goddammit Jerry that's the fucking Shroud of Turin! Cut it out!"

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
02-08-2018, 04:10 PM
There was no "shroud".
If there was a wandering Jebus-person who was crucified, his body would have been tossed into a common grave. When the Middle-agers made up this crap they not only didn't know anything about how Romans executed anyone, they didn't want to know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.