Please help me! I need advice!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Please help me! I need advice!
I am 12 years old and I don't believe in the religion my parents believe in. I'm not sure how to tell them. Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: Please help me! I need advice!
Welcome to our forum.

Thread moved

Do you disbelieve in god? Or just their religion?

You might consider not telling them until you're older.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-02-2015, 05:31 PM
A little more info from you would be helpful.
Maybe explain why you feel the need to tell them at all until you're older, as has been suggested.
25-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Hug

Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums and wishing you all the very best.
26-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I think if you phrase it as "Perhaps it's a phase I'm going thro but I'm finding it difficult to believe in ???? like you do" They may chalk it up to hormonal changes and leave it at that.
26-02-2015, 03:17 PM
(25-02-2015 05:01 PM)logan31202 Wrote:  I am 12 years old and I don't believe in the religion my parents believe in. I'm not sure how to tell them. Any advice?

First off, you are underage. It isn't that we want to give you advice but you are still a minor. We can say no matter what you do, you are still bound by their rules. You are not alone. Many have gone through similar situations. Not me personally but over the years we do run into this sort of thing. You are not alone.

Don't give your parents a hard time. Stay in school, keep your nose clean, keep your grades up, and when you are 18 you can do what you want. Until then your best advice is to simply do as much as you can for yourself to not make their baggage yours, but at the same time cooperate as much in the home with chores and let them know you love them as I am sure they love you. That is with any subject though. Don't yell, in any argument. Discuss, then listen, even if you disagree. But no matter what they are still legally in charge.

You don't have to give up yourself but you do have to get along as much as possible with them while you live with them The good part is that you wont be 12 forever. Growing up is tough even without the issue of religion. Conflicts between parents and kids are tough for both on any issue. Remaining calm and discussing without name calling or accusing. Barring that maybe if you know you cant discuss this with them find a trusted friend, or vent online here.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-02-2015, 03:19 PM
You might try contacting http://www.atheists.org, American Atheists, or http://www.ffrf.org Freedom From Religion Foundation. They get stories like this all the time and may be able to point you to some youth advice.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2015, 03:41 PM
(25-02-2015 05:01 PM)logan31202 Wrote:  I am 12 years old and I don't believe in the religion my parents believe in. I'm not sure how to tell them. Any advice?

it depends on your situation and your parents. And a big part their religion- some can be very violent, especially towards non believers and females.

some parents flip out when they get this news and do all sorts of things ranging anywhere from making you talk with local religious leaders, to kicking their kids out of the house, to pulling them out of public school and putting them in parochial or home school, to violence, to isolation- cutting off contact to friends, internet, etc

you know your parents best- if you feel that your well being could be in jeapordy - then don't tell until you can find a way out of that situation. Your safety comes first.

if you think you will be safe but it might cause arguements only- only you can decide if those arguements are worth having. You will go farther the longer you can keep your cool and not turn it into a screaming match. be prepared for them to ask you why and have your reasons thought out and be able to articulate them well.

either way, post more here, if you can, and keep learning.

a good place is http://www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post