Please, no Philly shooting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 10:49 AM
RE: Please, no Philly shooting.
(05-10-2015 10:19 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  In one of the articles I read last week (probably one someone on this site linked), Beta males were described as those who think everything (girls, fame, fortune, etc) is handed to alpha males while the beta males get screwed. That is the first I had ever heard of them, but the article painted them as a group frustrated over not doing well, especially with women, who thought the world (and women) OWED them something. The article mentioned Elliot Rodger.

If it's a joke, it's a joke in especially poor taste after the recent events. I take it a little seriously, and honestly think whoever posted it should be investigated and jailed (if they can pinpoint the person, obviously...which may or may not be possible).

The whole "beta uprising" thing with Pepe the frog has been going on for years now on 4Chan.

It's been considered a running joke long before the shooting in Oregon.

That's why you see the last comment on the image you posted...It has all the things in the trope, (chicken) tendies, reeeee, good boy points, etc...

Now, if someone has real issues...which I don't doubt they do, you can't blame it on a meme (rather like blaming video games or music).

It's like when the tabloids report that Jennifer Anniston is pregnant with twins every few months.

Yes, it's a bad joke in poor taste, but I haven't any doubt that it's actually a joke, in many cases it's self-deprecating and sarcastic humor. Does it resonate with a few? Maybe...but where do you draw lines?

The person who posted the thing about the "northwest" didn't have a clue a nut was planning anything. It was meant as a beta uprising joke...And he came forward saying he wasn't involved.

Unfortunately the shooter claimed a lot of things...he also kept a blog where he talked about how everyone knew the names of killers...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 01:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Hey. A motto for the Trump campaign !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-10-2015, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 11:15 AM by Adrianime.)
(05-10-2015 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The whole "beta uprising" thing with Pepe the frog has been going on for years now on 4Chan.

It's been considered a running joke long before the shooting in Oregon.

That's why you see the last comment on the image you posted...It has all the things in the trope, (chicken) tendies, reeeee, good boy points, etc...

Now, if someone has real issues...which I don't doubt they do, you can't blame it on a meme (rather like blaming video games or music).

It's like when the tabloids report that Jennifer Anniston is pregnant with twins every few months.

Yes, it's a bad joke in poor taste, but I haven't any doubt that it's actually a joke, in many cases it's self-deprecating and sarcastic humor. Does it resonate with a few? Maybe...but where do you draw lines?

The person who posted the thing about the "northwest" didn't have a clue a nut was planning anything. It was meant as a beta uprising joke...And he came forward saying he wasn't involved.

Unfortunately the shooter claimed a lot of things...he also kept a blog where he talked about how everyone knew the names of killers...
I get it. By most definitions (On UrbanDictionary.com...not reliable, but what I could find) I would probably be considered a "Beta Male", but I think any obsession can turn dangerous. Go too far down the "This effing world sucks" road and I wouldn't put it past almost anybody to do something stupid and dangerous.

As for where to draw the lines, I would draw them at publicly announcing a violent crime (whether or not it's a joke). It incites terror, and shouldn't be treated lightly. I know it's vague...what is acceptable and not. But when you mention specifics in method, action, or location, I say that should be enough to get thrown in jail.

Edit: I'll add, it's difficult on the net to discern tone and seriousness. In threads and forums sometimes the joke is obvious. But starting a thread (which is what was done in the first picture I posted) that essentially says, "Planning on killing some people next Monday!" Shouldn't be tolerated. At the very least the user should be banned and reported to the police.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
05-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Wikipedia removed this but it's still accessible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit...=683977673

Oh, and they just evacuated two colleges, Grants Pass and Medford Oregon. Just down I5 from Roseburg.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-10-2015, 01:35 PM
(05-10-2015 11:03 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Edit: I'll add, it's difficult on the net to discern tone and seriousness. In threads and forums sometimes the joke is obvious. But starting a thread (which is what was done in the first picture I posted) that essentially says, "Planning on killing some people next Monday!" Shouldn't be tolerated. At the very least the user should be banned and reported to the police.

I think this might be a case where *they* get the joke, because these types of posts have been going on long before this shooting.

All with nothing happening....now, these fucktards seem to have gotten some attention so now they're going to run with it. Also everyone is watching now to what crap they have been doing for months earlier without anyone caring. It might end with the forum they post this crap on will be closed (it's a subforum on 4chan).

Police have to do what they're gunna do.

People have always made jokes that were in very bad taste (at least to someone).

Just like with this heightened state of awareness people are edgy -- but like I always remind my kids you can't always unsay something....on the Internet its nearly impossible.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Glad there was no news of a shooting Smile.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Part of me wonders if by chance the original 4chan post was intended as a joke, and happened to be horribly timed since a shooting happened the next day. From what I've read from others about that particular board, those types of threats are pretty constant on that forum and I'm sure most people probably pay no attention to them and just roll their eyes. I'm sure there's going to be subpoenaed data for that site and an investigation, which if anything comes of it, I'm sure we'd know.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
06-10-2015, 03:57 AM
(05-10-2015 08:13 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Glad there was no news of a shooting Smile.

Here's the thing about Philly: it's tough to tell the difference between a day with mass shootings and a day without them. I live there and the place is violent, or can be.

It's not called "Killadelphia" ironically.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost