Please present explanations which make philosophical naturalism plausible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Please present explanations which make philosophical naturalism plausible
(16-03-2013 11:56 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Asceptic.

Well, that's pretty much the notion of the multiverse. Ours has that 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000138 number (however many actual zeros there are) and every other universe (assuming there are other universes) has a different number and a whole bunch of them would be tuned as such as they would not be able to support the creation of matter, let alone life.

It's only just one notion of a multiverse.

(16-03-2013 11:56 AM)Ghost Wrote:  It's a fine theory. It's a fascinating theory. But it's very far from being proven.

That's why I said started with using our imaginations, rather than trying to suggest it was a fact.

(16-03-2013 11:56 AM)Ghost Wrote:  We know of this universe and no other.

And almost certainly never will.

Here's an addendum thought. If we actually are banging and crunching, perhaps billions of times, and eventually one of those times (this one) got the combination right and life sprang into existence, is it possible that "eventually" could have, randomly, been the very first time it happened?

If that's possible, and logically it is possible, then it's also possible that this could happen even if we're not banging and crunching - even if there has never been and never will be any universe but the current one, maybe it's just lucky that it hit on the right combination the first (and only) time it had a big bang.

Improbable, yes. Unprovable, yes. But possible.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 02:10 PM
(16-03-2013 01:43 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(16-03-2013 11:56 AM)Ghost Wrote:  We know of this universe and no other.

And almost certainly never will.

Au contraire, mi amigo. The prophet Hofmann has opened doors. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-03-2013, 04:10 PM
(15-03-2013 09:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  If the parameters were different (even supposing they could be), the universe would be different. So what?
it would not exist. No
16-03-2013, 04:15 PM
(16-03-2013 04:10 PM)Godexists Wrote:  
(15-03-2013 09:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  If the parameters were different (even supposing they could be), the universe would be different. So what?
it would not exist. No

Prove it. No

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-03-2013, 05:22 PM
it would not exist. No

No it just means you might be pooping out your mouth instead of your butt. Or that you might be a huge fly that dissolves its food from the outside before ingesting it. You might not be you...but something certainly could still be here.

Shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-03-2013, 05:32 PM
it would not exist. No

Untrue. This particular, precise, exact universe would not exist, but something else would.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-03-2013, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 06:56 PM by fstratzero.)
it would not exist. No
[Image: yBKf6nR.png]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
16-03-2013, 07:02 PM
(13-03-2013 05:11 AM)Godexists Wrote:  Please present evidence, that makes naturalistic explanations plausible in regard of :

the existence and origin of the universe
its fine tuning
existence of planets
chemical evolution
abiogenesis
sex
morals
conscience
the hability of speech
complex and codified information stored in DNA
This is a question(s) of such large scope that it would require an encyclopedic answer. Consequently, I will assume that your intent is not to actually get an answer, but to tie people of this forum into intellectual knots and keep them from discussing anything worthwhile.

It is so sad. It is a trick that I see the Xtians pulling over-and-over again and the Atheists just keep falling for it.
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
16-03-2013, 07:18 PM
(16-03-2013 04:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-03-2013 04:10 PM)Godexists Wrote:  it would not exist. No

Prove it. No

Quit making baseless assertions.

Prove It.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

16-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Your screen name is Godexists. I've said it before: burden of proof is on you. If you want me to believe in your bullshit, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. You come along thinking you're so clever, that you have the ONE TRUE ARGUMENT that will put us heathens in our place and PROVE once and for all that your god is real. Get off your high horse. Been there, done that. If you could actually prove god's existence, you wouldn't be placing a detailed list you found on Wikipedia in an atheist forum and telling us to prove to YOU that god doesn't exist--no, you'd be on fucking Fox News hoping to get rich. This is like the damn probability fallacy, just as useless but we have to pull the information for you like you're supremely incapable. Start a thread with one topic, not all of them. You wouldn't want me to come to a religious forum and do the same.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
[+] 4 users Like darthbreezy's post