Please present your arguement.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Please present your arguement.
So, I told my pastor that I was having problems with believing in God, and he is pairing me with a Creationist that can help me believe in God. I need a list of questions to ask him. Please list the top 10 arguments that you have against God. I will post what questions I use, and what his answers are. I have questions against God, but i don't think i can get them all down. And they might have already been proven wrong.

(This guy has written 3 magazine articles about this topic, and is currently writing a book about it. He knows his stuff.)

SUMMARY: GIVE YOUR TOP TEN ARGUMENTS AGAINST GOD AND RELIGION!
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
RE: Please present your arguement.
I'll leave the specific questions to people more learned than me but my advice in your situation would be to remember that the burden of proof is on him, not you. By all means be ready to present evidence for your beliefs but in any atheist/theist debate it should be the theists beliefs that are far more heavily scrutinised.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Why does the natural world behave exactly how one would predict it would without a god or gods?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
How in the hell is the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity even imaginable, let alone tenable?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
(02-10-2011 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How in the hell is the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity even imaginable, let alone tenable?

Would they not simply reply that your identity is in your soul? (Obviously I find the whole soul concept to be fallacious but that would only lead them towards saying that the soul exists and [to borrow a line from the great and wise Bill O'Reily] you can't explain that). I agree with your question but if I have a limited number of questions to ask someone, I believe I would go a different route. You may have other ideas, however. And if so, I would be interested in hearing them. I cannot think of a positive disproof of the soul no more than I can think of a solid disproof of god(s).

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
(02-10-2011 06:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I cannot think of a positive disproof of the soul no more than I can think of a solid disproof of god(s).

Same fucking thing isn't it? I personally am disinterested in disproving or proving anything. Feels like a goddam waste of time to me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
If you looked around this site, you may find some of your own questions. Threads like 'funny pictures' and quotes and things would get the wheels turning.

One of my first questions would be why did God leave an ultimatum like death up to Adam and Eve to avoid when they didn't have a concept of death or suffering to really understand all that free will encompasses? Especially when they were only mere human, seems like it's set up to fail.

Why are there 4 different and contradicting versions on what happened with jesus' resurrection when he is gone from the tomb? Shouldn't that be very clear since Christianity is based on this very particular moment? Why is there only biblical witness from 2000 year old men and nothing more for us all these years later (evidence?? Where is it?)

I agree, understand burden of proof. Why does this have to be so complicated and hard to get the truth when we are simple humans?

Ask if this creation partner you are set up with knows everything and why he is so certain. Come back here with his answer and see what a free thinker says. Feelings, seeing miracles, and other replies can be debunked here pretty quickly.
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Look at what religion says,

I have the ultimate truth, but you can't have proof and you have to believe me or you will be punished. Of course the punishment is after you die so you don't have proof of that either. Oh yeah, I also demand 10% of all your income...

If you wanted to create a scam, could you imagine a better one?

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
(02-10-2011 06:27 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'll leave the specific questions to people more learned than me but my advice in your situation would be to remember that the burden of proof is on him, not you. By all means be ready to present evidence for your beliefs but in any atheist/theist debate it should be the theists beliefs that are far more heavily scrutinised.

That's it. If they say, "You prove there isn't a god" I usually reply, "The proof of god is for you to produce because I can't divide by zero".

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
03-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Atheism doesn't try to disprove the existence of a supreme being, it couldn't if it wanted to. You can't disprove the existence of anything, as evidence relies on the existence of something.

You shouldn't be coerced into believing anything. Come to your own conclusions due to diligent research, that's the best way to find any answer, whether it's for atheism or against.

Besides, when he doesn't have a proper counter argument, we all know what he'll say: "Well religion can't answer everything, you must have Faith" - which is a cop out, short of saying "There is no evidence and you must blindly hope it to be true". That's never been the intellectual thing to do.