Please present your arguement.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 04:08 AM
RE: Please present your arguement.
My favourite: What's the point in believing in God?
A standard response follows, but here's a site to counter nearly everything. Very good site to help starters.
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
One very important phrase to remember, when he says to you, "see, you can't prove he doesn't exist/it didn't happen/whatever", just reply with, "I don't need to." (Of course that's burden of proof like everyone said, but don't take your comment further than this or you will end up in a debate about burden of proof instead of religion.)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Girlyman
I agree that it is the same thing, but when confronted with the opportunity to present questions that elude to the nonexistence of god, this seems like an easy one for them to use the generic fuck-off answer of "Just because you can't see it, that does not mean it isn't there."

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
In the past year I started reading books, listening to podcasts, and watching videos on atheist’s responses to religion. It was quite exhilarating and I found myself wanted to talk about it whenever I could. I quickly found out that it is a lot of effort resulting in nothing. You will not convince the religious they are wrong and they won't convince you they're right. If I do have a discussion I will generally let them do most of the talking and ask a lot of questions. Occasionally throwing in a statement like "Have you ever read anything on evolution, like The Greatest Show on Earth?". Then encourage them to do so. You read their book why can't they read yours.

Above all approach them with science. Not with questions like why would a God do this or that. That is a brick wall. Rather discuss what the evidence gathered by modern scientific minds proves about evolution, the Universe, etc. Science always trumps superstition.
03-10-2011, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 11:59 AM by Peterkin.)
For creationists, i like: How many dogs were on the Ark? What breed? How come there are so many kinds around now?
With redemptionists, my big central problem is human sacrifice? How does killing a better person make a bad person into a better person? I still have to stop sinning and start believing, in order to be saved - so why can't we go stright to repentance? Why does god require the snuffing of a christ?
(There is a huge song-and-dance for this one, all about how it wasn't a human sacrifice, but god himself and how he volunteered... but it never addresses why god needs a sacrifice at all.)
Other OT questions: "Why invent sin in the first place?"
and "Why choose the Jews... when, by their own recorded admission, they kept messing up so badly that God had to wipe out whole cities and tribes and even the world one time, to wash away their sins? Why not just go talk to the Chinese or Aztecs?"
and "What happened to the souls of all the babies god commanded the Jews to kill during their promised-land wars?" "What happens to the souls of modern Israelites?"

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Ask how if god's word is the law, and it cannot be broken, how come we don't stone people who work on the sabbath? How come we don't force women to wear head covers? How come we don't kill gays? How come we constantly break all of god's rules if they seem inconvenient or just don't fit with todays standards? How come christians today are allowed to ignore gods commandments? Doesn't that mean that they are wasting their time praying to god and going to sunday services because they don't get to go to heaven anyways?

Also ask how come we were made in gods image, but we all look different. Or how come some of us are born with weird shit going on like extra stuff or missing things?
Is god a messed up monster looking thing then?

Or ask why god would punish adam and eve for disobeying him by taking from the tree of knowledge, when god didn't give them the sense for right and wrong? And why he let the snake in? And why the snake could talk, but now snakes can't talk. Or how come people don't live for hundreds of years anymore? Or why god kills everyone all the time, or how come even though jesus said the old testament was still the rule, christians pretend that the rules don't apply? Or why god let's pastors molest kids and get away with it. Or why if god wanted us to follow his laws and commands, and enjoyed being worshipped (which by definition makes god imperfect thus destroying his definition) how come he didn't make his book straight forward so there wouldn't have to be so many different points of view that kill people?

So many questions but I should answer my phone... nm machine got it.

Ask how come he can believe in one prophet but not the ones stated to have come after? Why his god is different from any of the other ones being worshipped today? What the great flying spaghetti monster ever did to him?

Ahh I'm done.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
(03-10-2011 12:44 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Ask how if god's word is the law, and it cannot be broken, how come we don't stone people who work on the sabbath? How come we don't force women to wear head covers? How come we don't kill gays?

I would be wary of asking this. Because some of them do, or would like to, or even intend to start again soon. Please don't encourage the most vicious xtians!

The rest are fine and reasonable questions.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I may have missed it in the earlier posts, but it bears repeating anyway: The "Argument from Evil" gets every apologist stumbling all over themselves. The only arguments they can come up with--"Theodices"-- do nothing but contradict or dilute the commonly accepted attributes of the Christian god that they trumpet so loudly everywhere else.

"Some...say religion makes people happy. So does laughing gas. So does whiskey."
--Clarence Darrow
06-10-2011, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2011 03:36 AM by Filox.)
If he is a Creationist, then just ignore him, why are you talking to a crazy person? Smile Just bring him a car trunk full of scientific evidence for the history of Earth, you don't need to ask him anything.

Or just ask him how is it possible that he has the exact picture and his god is the right one, but all the other religions are wrong? All the other Christians are wrong? Even the Roman-Catholics, who believe in evolution and the scientific history of Earth are wrong, together with all the scientist in this world, but that preacher is right? This is the tactic I would use.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson