Please share the experience you had that solidified your belief in god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 01:29 PM
RE: Please share the experience you had that solidified your belief in god.
ohhh my goodness wich one to choose from....

1) Years or physical and sexual abuse and there was no god or angel there to protect me
2) My daughter being born with a heart condition, then getting a brain tumor, and then needing a donor knee.... This being the one child in my family that was very religious an spiritual... and she got hit with 3 big things so far.
3 ) another daughter has incurable cancer
4 ) when i really began to pay attention to the news
5 ) ohhh man this could go on for days............................. I shall stop now

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2013, 01:57 PM
RE:
If by belief you mean atheism. It was the failure of everything to do with religion and the supernatural.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
24-05-2013, 02:05 PM
LSD. Hobo

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I had a weak moment in my life during a bout with food poisoning. I sent out the call to any gods, devils, mystical beings that lived under the steps leading to the basement. I asked for help. Help for the pain. "The first one that pops his head out and gives a damn that I'm in pain wins the prize. You want my soul, I'll loan it to ya. Need me to owe you a favor, you got it.
Say the word, any of ya out there, this is your chance."

And right then, that was the moment that solidified my stern belief that reality was me on this planet in pain....end of story.

I eventually got better. It took several days.
I thanked my incredible immune system built up over millions of years of evolution that allowed me to keep on living.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
24-05-2013, 05:35 PM
(24-05-2013 11:31 AM)blad3runn3r Wrote:  
(23-05-2013 11:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I think I've talked about this elsewhere, but it's whatever. I don't mind writing. Smile

When I was 15, my grandfather was dying of cancer. It began as a mysterious bout of "itching all over" while we were on (what would turn out to be our last) vacation in Ocean City, MD. He thought he was breaking out with some sort of allergy, so the relaxation was interrupted by a hasty trip to the hospital. Upon checking him out, they discovered that he had aggressive pancreatic cancer.

In the following months, his descent was rapid. His skin turned yellow and, as the cancer spread, he began to succumb to dementia. He had 2 or 3 surgeries, but the cancer was too aggressive and they couldn't pin it down. It had spread much too far and much too rapidly and the doctors accepted that there was nothing more they could do. So, fitting the living room with a hospital bed, they simply sent him home to die.

The last night I saw him alive (if you can call it "living"), he had completely disconnected from the outside world. He simply stared off into space like a zombie and was unresponsive to everyone and everything. Even as my grandmother lay on the bed with her arms wrapped around him, he could do nothing but stare blankly at the ceiling and drool. Still being a firm believer at the time, I prayed to God to just kill him. To stop dragging it out and to just get it over with. No more than 6 hours later, my dad awoke me to inform me that he had finally died.

To my young, theistic mind, this was a sure confirmation that God had answered my heartfelt prayer and shown mercy on the old guy. I even flaunted the experience to atheists later on when they told me that God wouldn't go out of his way to work wonders for us humans. Their response was always the same. "He had been fighting cancer for months and was at the absolute end of his rope. It's a wonder he didn't die sooner." It pissed me off at the time, but they were absolutely right. The guy was a zombie. Cancer had consumed him like a...well, like a cancer. The fact that he was so close to death is why I prayed in the first place. The prayer was the result of his condition. Not the other way around.

Thankyou for sharing your experience, it was very profound. When I was a "believer" I never truly saw or heard anything convincing enough to justify my belief, just coincidences that could be dismissed as such.

The most interesting thing is that one might never guess Misanthropik was ever super religious Drinking Beverage

He found it a great compliment when I told him he seemed to "always have been godless."

It's great that such an outspoken person and with an amazing skill of persuasion is now on "the other side." We need people like him.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Share your de-conversion story Hughsie 168 11,135 11-07-2014 08:25 PM
Last Post: Nogon
  Seeking the Grief Stories of Non-Believers for “Grief Beyond Belief” Book Bows and Arrows 5 134 04-07-2014 08:49 AM
Last Post: jockmcdock
  Ontology of belief Jeremy E Walker 212 3,183 09-05-2014 08:09 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Literal belief in the flood story RobbyPants 23 477 04-04-2014 08:37 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  belief? mknight 41 535 28-03-2014 10:40 PM
Last Post: mknight
  Contrary to popular belief! Alex_Leonardo 5 161 24-02-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: donotwant
  Any funny Religion stories to share? Freethought 2 142 04-02-2014 09:50 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon