Please tell me what's wrong with this picture.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: Please tell me what's wrong with this picture.
(17-06-2013 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He can buy his own car when he can afford the insurance, gas and upkeep on one. It's a lot more than you think

You have to start somewhere. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2013, 02:40 PM
(17-06-2013 02:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many community colleges offer "shuttle services" for people. Some are even free, you just need to find where the shuttle stops.

The community college my son will go to, is around 4 miles from our house, that equates to 90 minutes on three buses! Or he can take one bus to where the shuttle is and be at school in 30 minutes.

He can buy his own car when he can afford the insurance, gas and upkeep on one. It's a lot more than you think

Could he bike? I know some communities are more bike friendly than others but 4 miles seems like a perfect bicycle or moped commute distance.

Don't get me started. Smile He could do that theoretically had he EVER learned to ride one (seriously). Actually it rains a lot here here from around October to June so bikes aren't the most practical form of transportation (my opinion).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-06-2013, 02:48 PM
(17-06-2013 02:39 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He can buy his own car when he can afford the insurance, gas and upkeep on one. It's a lot more than you think

You have to start somewhere. Sad

Hug

I know it probably feels like your spinning your wheels or just running in place...waiting for the race to start.

But...really the amount of time you spend waiting is soooo short compared to the time that you actually spend running the race.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2013, 03:36 PM
(17-06-2013 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hug

I know it probably feels like your spinning your wheels or just running in place...waiting for the race to start.

But...really the amount of time you spend waiting is soooo short compared to the time that you actually spend running the race.

Thank you. Hug

I'm just afraid of graduating, and not starting the race in time.
17-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Personally I think you should be encouraged to get a job, not held back from one, but I guess that's not my choice to make.

What I will say is that, if America is anything like England, waiting til your 18 to get a job won't hold you back. By our terms that would be pretty early. Most people my age don't seem to have ever had a job for more than a few months, and most seem to only wanna turn up, do the bare minimum (or less if they can get away with it), pick up the cash (with they spend primarily on alcohol), and go. The fact that you are motivated to get a job and work for things is gonna be a big plus for you.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-06-2013, 04:11 PM
(17-06-2013 03:42 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Personally I think you should be encouraged to get a job, not held back from one, but I guess that's not my choice to make.

What I will say is that, if America is anything like England, waiting til your 18 to get a job won't hold you back. By our terms that would be pretty early. Most people my age don't seem to have ever had a job for more than a few months, and most seem to only wanna turn up, do the bare minimum (or less if they can get away with it), pick up the cash (with they spend primarily on alcohol), and go. The fact that you are motivated to get a job and work for things is gonna be a big plus for you.

You always have a good amount of teens that go after jobs as soon as they turn 16- the experience before graduation is positive, and gives you a bit of a moral head start before college.

I just really want a job so I can save up for a car. It'll be convenient to have one right after graduation, and I know my mom and family aren't going to buy me one, because they can't afford it. If I get a job now, even part time, I'll have a fair amount saved up by the time I graduate. I can't bike the interstate, and getting a taxi for classes is more expensive than it sounds- especially without a job.

Again, I'm tired of being kept away from the lessons I want to learn.
17-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Its a tough one Ferdinand because I can appreciate where your mum is coming from, when you have to live on a tight budget you don't want things to "rock the boat" however the downside (and this is where I see your point) is that this situation is holding you back from doing what you need to do.

Im not exactly 100 percent on your welfare system but I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is probably similar to the one here in the UK. That is you get help with money whilst you are in education and as soon as that person gains employment then the welfare drops because some of the money coming in is expected to go into the household.

If I was you I would go and get professional advice from your local authority on the figures. How much your mum is probably receiving in welfare per month/week and how much this would drop by if you gained employment. They might even allow you to work part time (maybe under 16 hours like over here in the UK) that might not even affect your welfare. From what experience I have had myself with benefits in the UK I would say that if you do look into it, to always TRIPLE CHECK everything to make sure you haven't overlooked anything.

If you can talk your mum around and promise to pay the shortfall she will lose in her benefits from your wage then maybe that is an option. That in itself will be a huge eye opener in responsibility for you as you may probably have to give a huge chunk of your wages to her. In that sense though you may appreciate how tough it probably is for your mum.

If your worried about loosing out on Job experience then look to see if you can do voluntary work and if that will affect your welfare.

I think growing up the transition between schooling and adult life is too short for young adults nowadays. This whole situation is probably your first lesson in balancing things up, where we may have needs and wants but we have to be patient because sometimes they might not be available to us straight away... also life is about sacrifices, sometimes we can resent these but sadly that is just the way it is sometimes.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
17-06-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 05:20 PM by Free Thought.)
If you want a job that badly; I say you wait. if it drops your families income total and creates a total difference that you can't make up for with your new income source, it is a wasted effort, Ferdinand. Move to ensure your strategic position before moving in for smaller merely tactical goals. And that means ensuring you do what you must to keep a roof over you families head; even if it means doing nothing at all.

(17-06-2013 03:42 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Personally I think you should be encouraged to get a job, not held back from one, but I guess that's not my choice to make.

Remove spending the money on alcohol and you pretty much have my work ethic for school work; get in, get shit done as efficiently as possible (thus with as little effort as possible) get my reward and forget I ever had to do such menial and boring work. An ethic which I will employ when I get a job: go in, get shit done, get my pay-check. Probably be employed now if it weren't fer me schooling taking up so much time and the fact that the only work in my area is based on serving people I don't care about, forcing a smile and asking "Hello, how are you today? ... Would you like a receipt with that?", work which of course, I would refuse to do. The meagre pay would not be worth my time and effort... Too bad there are no jobs I could actually give a fuck about, or would be worth my while, in my area...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Ferdinand,
The assistance programs are so different depending on where you are that it's hard to know how you earning a few bucks would impact the aid your mother gets. Your age may also come into play. Call the local office and ask them what the guidelines are. You shouldn't have to give them much info just to answer a general question. I am pretty sure there is set amount that could be earned by the family members that is set according to the family size. It would seem that staying with your mother and sister after you are an adult (and working) would have a much bigger impact as there would be with two adults in the house.

Like bemore said...when you are down to counting pennies, every penny counts. But you might find out that you can earn a certain amount before any benefits would start being deducted. As an incentive for the parents to work, they are usually allowed to not count a certain percentage of their income. Unfortunately in some places the first thing to go will be food stamps or insurance, depending on where you are.

It really might be worth a call. If you have facts from your state that you can show your mom, you should have less resistance.

Good luck! It's great that you want to work and that you are also aware of the potential impact on your family.

Are you really good with any classes? Could you tutor for cash? I'll try to figure out more ideas. Just call and ask if your income as a dependent minor would be factored in to the family income if you were to find a part time job.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-06-2013, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 06:11 PM by ridethespiral.)
Have you tried looking for an under the table job? A lot of small businesses would be more than glad to go off the books if they know that they can trust you (ie: they need to hear your backstory)...and odds and ends you can do under the table on your own(landscaping, snow shoveling...the things that everyone needs) which may not be stable but 50 bucks here and there is 50 bucks here and there.

..If you move out or get a job on the books it probably severely screws up your mother's dependent status...The money she receives for you is probably a large chunk of her over all income. At 18-20/22 you should be in school, but if you can't be in school then be @ work.

Do try applying for every type of grant possible and study hard if that door opens. If not a time will come when you need to strike out on your own, take student loans, w/e. I will say though that in this economy if you are going to take out student loans it's highly advisable that you study something applicable to a growth industry.

Ps. For what it's worth I personally held a part time job from when I was 15 in HS and through 4/5ths of college (first as a lifeguard/swim instructor in HS, then in my field in college)...Work is good for you, it's nice to have some spending money, it's nice to feel like you contribute to society, it's good long term especially if it is work in your chosen field but don't over do it. Life is short, my work scholarship cost me the chance to study aboard in college, if I have spent half the time I did working to get a cell phone and crap in HS working out and socializing I would have had way better luck with the ladies, had more fun, had more time to get better grades in a few classes that I half-assed, etc.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user