Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Pledge of Allegiance
With Independence Day approaching, many of my religious friends are beginning to rant about how Atheists want "under god" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't matter how much you try to educate them about the fact that those two words were not added until 1954, they still don't want those words removed and they find it to be offensive and un-patriotic. So I've adopted a new policy. Whenever I am with a group of people and the Pledge is recited, I will recite it with "separated from religion" in place of "under god."

What will you say in place of those words?

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Science Believer's post
25-06-2012, 04:16 AM
RE: Pledge of Allegiance
E pluribus unum

from many, one

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-06-2012, 07:42 AM
(25-06-2012 03:53 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  With Independence Day approaching, many of my religious friends are beginning to rant about how Atheists want "under god" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't matter how much you try to educate them about the fact that those two words were not added until 1954, they still don't want those words removed and they find it to be offensive and un-patriotic. So I've adopted a new policy. Whenever I am with a group of people and the Pledge is recited, I will recite it with "separated from religion" in place of "under god."

What will you say in place of those words?
I usually just skip the offending words, but I may have to adopt your idea.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Pledge of Allegiance huh.

Looks like I need to google this shit...

Alright, I'm probably gonna be hated for saying this but, well, I've always spoken my mind on here so no point stopping now.
I apologies if you are offended by the following but please try to have an open mind.

[Image: PledgeOfAllegiance1899.jpg]

[Image: hilter1.jpg]

There is something fishy about making kids swear allegiance to the flag.
Like it's not just singing a national anthem which I think is suppose to instill patriotism but sort of like if you are proud this is how you show it, this is just weird. I dunno.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
25-06-2012, 07:54 AM
(25-06-2012 07:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Pledge of Allegiance huh.

Alright, I'm probably gonna be hated for saying this but, well, I've always spoken my mind on here so no point stopping now.
I apologies if you are offended by the following but please try to have an open mind.

Like it's not just singing a national anthem which I think is suppose to instill patriotism but sort of like if you are proud this is how you show it, this is just weird. I dunno.

Pledges have always bothered me, if you are in a free country how can you be forced to pledge allegience to it? While these comparisons are a bit drastic, I totally get what you're saying. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-06-2012, 07:56 AM

You're exactly correct. Mass indoctrination. On the bright side, most Americans - especially the young 'uns - have no clue what the drivel they're reciting actually means. It's a sort of blahmumbleblahblah thing. There's zero enthusiasm - unlike the Hilter Youth.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-06-2012, 08:55 AM

The pledge isn't pledging complete, blind allegiance to the US. It's a pledge to the ideals that the flag represents (which are generally accepted as good or right).

The moment that something, even the US government, moves away from the ideals, the person has the right to defend them.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-06-2012, 09:23 AM
(25-06-2012 08:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

The pledge isn't pledging complete, blind allegiance to the US. It's a pledge to the ideals that the flag represents (which are generally accepted as good or right).

The moment that something, even the US government, moves away from the ideals, the person has the right to defend them.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Well doesn't that still come to my original post?
I mean Hitler youth were pledging to the ideals of the Nazi government and what they stood for (a vundabar Germany etc..) etc...

To me, as an outsider, it doesn't come across as pledging to be a good person or whatever, it very much comes across as a pledge to the country. That you would give your life for the country, a little extreme maybe but that is the vibe I get.

If it is like you say, to the ideas of the country, why does it not say that then?
I pledge that I will be a good person and shit
Something like that.

It doesn't say that, it says I pledge allegiance to the flag of The United States of America, and to the republic in which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible
and then, after you've sworn your allegiance to the flag etc.., after all that then the part about being a good person is put in. with liberty and justice for all.
Which in itself uses the word "with", as in you pledge to the nation, and this is how you will do it, but still pledging to the nation.

And why not pledge to another flag or another country that shares the same ideals? I pledge allegiance to the flag of Great Britain.. anyone?

No sir, this is not a pledge about being a good person. This is very much you pledging yourself to your country.
And when you force youth to do that, when you got little kids saying it in a classroom then that is where I feel a bit fishy about it and ask what makes it different to something like Hitler youth. I mean obviously the US isn't gonna kill off 6million Jews but you get my point.
Indoctrination. As people who proud ourselves in claiming we are free thinkers (the forum), should we not be concerned about this?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
25-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I created this sometime back. I'm pretty sure I have posted it on here before, but it's related to the topic.

[Image: porkypigallegianceposte.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
25-06-2012, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2012 10:27 AM by TrulyX.)
(25-06-2012 03:53 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  What will you say in place of those words?

...one nation.... full of [enter derogatory term that hurts peoples feelings]

The "under god" part always made me feel uncomfortable, even prior to being an atheists.

Really standing up for the pledge made me uneasy, it always made you feel like you were bitching out. You always had the kid who didn't stand up and got in trouble, and you always felt like you should have been on their side.

When I was in school I think it only required standing up, and not actually reciting it. Every morning you'd have to see how long you could get away with sitting down before the teacher tried to make you stand up, and see whether or not you had the balls to just sit there. That's when we were really little though. By the time we got to middle school nobody cared; the pledge would be on and we'd still be talking shit.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell