Pledge of Allegiance.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Pledge of Allegiance.
Torn between the Politics section or Ranting Corner, Why Today Was A Good Day, Things That Make Me Smile or My Day In A Gif threads.

Couldn't choose, so New Thread.

Here's a bit of pre-preamble for those who like to be preambled. But skip to the question near the bottom if you have an attention span of a ... SQUIRREL.

It's been a great few days on TTA...
Stark is less lumpy (great line from Kim, there),
Angie gave us a heartening update,
I put Ferdie and Hughsie and Ferdie and Hughsie and Ferdie on 'ignore' just as an experiment. Smile
Bucky saved a life. Like WOW!
And, I know he doesn't see it this way, but KC's disquiet with the church... sorry but I think that's a step forward.

Well, Ok, It's not been a great week... there's been some shitty stuff too e.g. for KC again.

So to lighten the mood... preamble...

It's been a travelling day.

Singapore to KL... fuck it! Wrong hotel ... taxi to Cyberjaya.

I thought today was going to be a good day when I checked in at the airport. While I was in the queue, I heard a staff member say "happy birthday" to the lady who was about to serve me. So I said it too and got some banter going.

She said, "window or aisle" and I said, "don't care as long as you sit me next to someone pretty". I often say this because it's a less antagonistic way of saying "Don't put me next to a 7 feet tall Aussie with intrusive elbows and body odour."
As I walked away, I whispered to the next person to say "happy birthday" too. She did. Big Grin Inward smile as I listened to giggling and silliness behind me as I walked off into the sunset.

On the plane, to my surprise, my neighbour was extremely (like wow!) pretty. Good day so far.

I thought today was going to be a bad day when a tantrumy child was kicking the back of my seat for nearly the whole flight.
I eventually snapped and got up, turned around, looked the child in the eye and said, with a sad face, adult-to-adult-style, "I'm very tired. It's so hard to sleep if someone is kicking the back of my seat." The twin, next to the offender asked why I was tired. We chatted.
I caught the eye of their father across the aisle (not literally) and he showed an approving smile (fortunately).

Getting up to leave the plane, the pretty girl shook her hair in a slow-motion-shampoo-advert kinda way. Woulda been sexy but no... whiplash to the eyeball! I didn't see it coming.

Then walking out, the air-hosty caught my heel and I nearly went arse over tit.

Three bad things... surely enough for one day.

I bumped into the twins-family on the train to KL from the airport. We joked about my eyeball incident and I taught the twins some English swear words. A good day again.

Three taxi journeys of around 2.5 hours in all.
The first driver was the best.

The third driver started telling me I was hensem and had sexy hair and that he liked my accent... I don't get all cocky about this kinda thing... it's taxi-driver-speak for "Fuck! We're lost. Don't get angry".
I'm used to that in Malaysia.

Anyway... mid-amble now.

Pledge of Allegiance...

The first taxi driver: highly educated, retired air force kinda guy... great conversation about living in harmonious societies... shared goals, shared ideas, collaboration etc. comparing Chinese dynasties (closed ones) with Baghdad of 800-1100 CE blah blah.

He said two things I really liked:
1. We say Chinese food and Malay costume and Thai massage but we don't say English love or Swiss jealousy or whatever.
2. We ought to have a global / humanist pledge.

We discussed that you murikans have a pledge that talks about "under god"... presumably the murikan god.
He told me about the Singaporean national pledge.

It was written by Sinnathamby Rajaratnam (Deputy Prime Minister) in 1966 shortly after Singapore's independence. Rajaratnam revealed that the dream was to build "a Singapore we are proud of". He believed that language, race and religion were divisive factors, but the Pledge emphasises that these differences can be overcome if Singaporeans cared enough about their country. The draft text was handed to the then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who polished the text before submitting it to the Cabinet.

Sinnathamby knew what it was like to in a minority being a Tamil born in Sri Lanka.

The National Pledge is:
We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

And they've fucking well done it too. In less than 50 years.

Post-amble...

Based on the above SG pledge.

Who can come up with the best global pledge?

The prize for the winner is... I will stop writing long OPs for an unspecified time.

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
29-09-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: Pledge of Allegiance.
I will not be participating in that, one; I am not feeling all that creative at the moment, and two; I rather enjoy your long OP's. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
29-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm no good at writing stuff like that, but I would be much happier with our US pledge if they would go back to the original. Undecided

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
29-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking.
29-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't like pledges. Not the American pledge, not a humanist pledge, none of them. I do things the way I see fit. I'd like to think I act morally and responsibly without a pledge, but were I an immoral irresponsible person, a pledge wouldn't prevent me from being so. People do what they wish, pledge or no. :/

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
29-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Okay, I'll try.

We, the human species of this planet,
given that everything we currently are and
hold dear to us is contained on this one small planet,
do pledge to not be dicks to each other as
much as possible. And if we fuck up, we'll admit
it and apologize.

Under god. Thumbsup

(not sure about that last line, though)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
29-09-2013, 03:18 PM
(29-09-2013 09:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Torn between the Politics section or Ranting Corner, Why Today Was A Good Day, Things That Make Me Smile or My Day In A Gif threads.

Couldn't choose, so New Thread.

Here's a bit of pre-preamble for those who like to be preambled. But skip to the question near the bottom if you have an attention span of a ... SQUIRREL.

It's been a great few days on TTA...
Stark is less lumpy (great line from Kim, there),
Angie gave us a heartening update,
I put Ferdie and Hughsie and Ferdie and Hughsie and Ferdie on 'ignore' just as an experiment. Smile
Bucky saved a life. Like WOW!
And, I know he doesn't see it this way, but KC's disquiet with the church... sorry but I think that's a step forward.

Well, Ok, It's not been a great week... there's been some shitty stuff too e.g. for KC again.

So to lighten the mood... preamble...

It's been a travelling day.

Singapore to KL... fuck it! Wrong hotel ... taxi to Cyberjaya.

I thought today was going to be a good day when I checked in at the airport. While I was in the queue, I heard a staff member say "happy birthday" to the lady who was about to serve me. So I said it too and got some banter going.

She said, "window or aisle" and I said, "don't care as long as you sit me next to someone pretty". I often say this because it's a less antagonistic way of saying "Don't put me next to a 7 feet tall Aussie with intrusive elbows and body odour."
As I walked away, I whispered to the next person to say "happy birthday" too. She did. Big Grin Inward smile as I listened to giggling and silliness behind me as I walked off into the sunset.

On the plane, to my surprise, my neighbour was extremely (like wow!) pretty. Good day so far.

I thought today was going to be a bad day when a tantrumy child was kicking the back of my seat for nearly the whole flight.
I eventually snapped and got up, turned around, looked the child in the eye and said, with a sad face, adult-to-adult-style, "I'm very tired. It's so hard to sleep if someone is kicking the back of my seat." The twin, next to the offender asked why I was tired. We chatted.
I caught the eye of their father across the aisle (not literally) and he showed an approving smile (fortunately).

Getting up to leave the plane, the pretty girl shook her hair in a slow-motion-shampoo-advert kinda way. Woulda been sexy but no... whiplash to the eyeball! I didn't see it coming.

Then walking out, the air-hosty caught my heel and I nearly went arse over tit.

Three bad things... surely enough for one day.

I bumped into the twins-family on the train to KL from the airport. We joked about my eyeball incident and I taught the twins some English swear words. A good day again.

Three taxi journeys of around 2.5 hours in all.
The first driver was the best.

The third driver started telling me I was hensem and had sexy hair and that he liked my accent... I don't get all cocky about this kinda thing... it's taxi-driver-speak for "Fuck! We're lost. Don't get angry".
I'm used to that in Malaysia.

Anyway... mid-amble now.

Pledge of Allegiance...

The first taxi driver: highly educated, retired air force kinda guy... great conversation about living in harmonious societies... shared goals, shared ideas, collaboration etc. comparing Chinese dynasties (closed ones) with Baghdad of 800-1100 CE blah blah.

He said two things I really liked:
1. We say Chinese food and Malay costume and Thai massage but we don't say English love or Swiss jealousy or whatever.
2. We ought to have a global / humanist pledge.

We discussed that you murikans have a pledge that talks about "under god"... presumably the murikan god.
He told me about the Singaporean national pledge.

It was written by Sinnathamby Rajaratnam (Deputy Prime Minister) in 1966 shortly after Singapore's independence. Rajaratnam revealed that the dream was to build "a Singapore we are proud of". He believed that language, race and religion were divisive factors, but the Pledge emphasises that these differences can be overcome if Singaporeans cared enough about their country. The draft text was handed to the then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who polished the text before submitting it to the Cabinet.

Sinnathamby knew what it was like to in a minority being a Tamil born in Sri Lanka.

The National Pledge is:
We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

And they've fucking well done it too. In less than 50 years.

Post-amble...

Based on the above SG pledge.

Who can come up with the best global pledge?

The prize for the winner is... I will stop writing long OPs for an unspecified time.

Tongue

Think I'll stick to the AA preamble, shorter and more succinct.Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
29-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Missed too much...going to search now through threads...

Grumble, grumble.

Oh your post was nice DLJ. No clue how to write a pledge.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-09-2013, 05:25 PM
(29-09-2013 02:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't like pledges.

Yup I agree, tbh.

But I do like a vision statement if is written well.
It can unite, inspire, give direction, demonstrate leadership etc. if it's well communicated and achievable.

Typical shitty vision statement says "We are here to make money blah blah..."

Good ones:
The SG National Pledge
Asian Development Bank: "Eradicating Poverty in Asia"
JFK: "We will put a man on the moon and return them safely (before the Russians do).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-09-2013, 05:27 PM
(29-09-2013 03:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay, I'll try.

We, the human species of this planet,
given that everything we currently are and
hold dear to us is contained on this one small planet,
do pledge to not be dicks to each other as
much as possible. And if we fuck up, we'll admit
it and apologize.

Under god. Thumbsup

(not sure about that last line, though)

What happened to your pledge of non-participation?

Ohmy