Pluto is a Planet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
RE: Pluto is a Planet
Saying Pluto is a planet is like saying every participant in a "last man standing" competition IS the last man standing.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
02-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Bill Nye thinks it's a planet. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
03-10-2014, 01:44 AM
(02-10-2014 10:14 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Bill Nye thinks it's a planet. Smile

Then Bill Nye is wrong.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
(03-10-2014 01:44 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Then Bill Nye is wrong.

Blasphemy! God created Pluto, and God created Bill Nye with the knowledge that Pluto is a planet. God cannot be wrong, therefore you are a f-ing sinner and I hope you enjoy eternity in h-e-double hockey sticks!

My older daughter still has a poster in her room with the nine planets on it. My little one was looking at it recently and asked what that last planet was... Sadcryface2

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
03-10-2014, 08:46 AM

So does Lawrence Krauss Smile

"And there are nine planets, by the way. Pluto is a planet.

[...]

I don't care what my friend Neil Tyson says. My daughter studied Pluto in grade four and did a project on Pluto and I don't plan for her to go back."

http://www.onbeing.org/program/our-origi...cript/5241

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Why do people get so pissed off about this?

Its just a scientific classification...

It is actually possible that there is a ninth planet still out there... Its recently been suggested that there may be two more large planets, out beyond the Kuiper Belt. Something is having an effect on the orbits of KBOs well beyond Pluto... At the moment it is purely hypothetical, but still intriguing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25...C65b2ddVR4

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
(03-10-2014 08:46 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  

So does Lawrence Krauss Smile

[...]

I don't care what my friend Neil Tyson says. My daughter studied Pluto in grade four and did a project on Pluto and I don't plan for her to go back."

That sounds very dogmatic to me... Quite surprised that Bill Nye would say something like that.

Does he consider Eris, Sedna, Quaoar and Makemake to be planets too...? If not, why not?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
(03-10-2014 09:10 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:46 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  So does Lawrence Krauss Smile

[...]

That sounds very dogmatic to me... Quite surprised that Bill Nye would say something like that.

Does he consider Eris, Sedna, Quaoar and Makemake to be planets too...? If not, why not?

Lawrence Krauss said that. I also don't know how serious he is about it.

My impression is that most of the people in favor of Pluto keeping it's status as a planet don't really care. We just like sticking up for the little guy.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
03-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Pluto is a Planet
People forget that when Pluto was first discovered it was, even then, a giant controversy whether it was a planet or not. And the reason it was initially categorized as a planet was political, not scientific.
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
[Image: Sincerly-Pluto_o_94661.jpg]

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post