Pluto is a Planet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2014, 09:32 AM
RE: Pluto is a Planet
(03-10-2014 09:24 AM)photon9 Wrote:  People forget that when Pluto was first discovered it was, even then, a giant controversy whether it was a planet or not. And the reason it was initially categorized as a planet was political, not scientific.

I might be completely wrong on this, but it seems to me that the majority of people insisting it is a planet seem to be American... Seeing as Pluto was discovered by an American (Clyde Tombaugh), I think a big part of it is national pride...

But science doesn't work like that...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
(03-10-2014 09:21 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 09:10 AM)Sam Wrote:  That sounds very dogmatic to me... Quite surprised that Bill Nye would say something like that.

Does he consider Eris, Sedna, Quaoar and Makemake to be planets too...? If not, why not?

Lawrence Krauss said that. I also don't know how serious he is about it.

My impression is that most of the people in favor of Pluto keeping it's status as a planet don't really care. We just like sticking up for the little guy.

Oh, sorry... Misread the quote at the top as being part of the same post.

Knowing Lawrence Krauss, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tongue in cheek dig at Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
It has to do with Pluto having the same name as Micky Mouses Dog.

Pretty much, that is the entire reason why. People liked Disney as children and liked pluto because pluto was a planet and a dog. They are sentimental about it without realizing that a dwarf planet is still a planet.

I wonder how sailer pluto feels about being demoted from normal planet status? lol

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user