Pluto's atmosphere

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Pluto's atmosphere
Quote:New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.
http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

If Pluto is billions of years old shouldn't its atmosphere have all been lost a long time ago? The fact that it still has an atmosphere supports the belief that is was created only a few thousand years ago.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 09:07 AM
RE: Pluto's atmosphere
(20-07-2015 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
Quote:New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.

If Pluto is billions of years old shouldn't its atmosphere have all been lost a long time ago? The fact that it still has an atmosphere supports the belief that is was created only a few thousand years ago.

Laugh out load

Okay.... being totally NOT an astrophysics. ... there are heaps of explanations which would fit this information.

NONE of which would lead to the bizarre notion of such a short time span in regards to the age of the solar system.
Find all posts by this user
20-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Evolution put it there to trick the creationists.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
20-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Did you even read the article you linked?
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
20-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Pablo, did you even read the OP, you liked it. :-)

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
20-07-2015, 10:23 AM

More post and run Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
20-07-2015, 10:27 AM

Couldn't read the link...my old iPad doesn't like it. Angry

The earth is billions of years old and has an atmosphere.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-07-2015, 10:29 AM
(20-07-2015 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

Couldn't read the link...my old iPad doesn't like it. Angry

The earth is billions of years old and has an atmosphere.

Venus has an atmosphere. The gaseous planets have atmospheres. Mars has an atmosphere (not much of one).

There is literally nothing about the presence of an atmosphere on Pluto that hints at anything other than it being totally normal.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-07-2015, 10:30 AM
(20-07-2015 09:56 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Pablo, did you even read the OP, you liked it. :-)

Blush Must have done that when I replied. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-07-2015, 10:33 AM
(20-07-2015 10:30 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 09:56 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Pablo, did you even read the OP, you liked it. :-)

Blush Must have done that when I replied. Facepalm

Meh...I saw you "liked" it, but figured that you're a "like" whore anyway Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post