Pluto's atmosphere

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 10:34 AM
RE: Pluto's atmosphere
(20-07-2015 10:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 10:30 AM)pablo Wrote:  Blush Must have done that when I replied. Facepalm

Meh...I saw you "liked" it, but figured that you're a "like" whore anyway Tongue

Gasp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
20-07-2015, 12:03 PM
I would imagine that like the giant comet that it is, Pluto is continually sublimating ices into gases, replenishing its atmosphere thereby.
20-07-2015, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 01:31 PM by TheInquisition.)
(20-07-2015 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
Quote:New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.
http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

If Pluto is billions of years old shouldn't its atmosphere have all been lost a long time ago? The fact that it still has an atmosphere supports the belief that is was created only a few thousand years ago.

Why was Pluto created? It's invisible to us without telescopes, what purpose does Pluto serve?

You wouldn't even consider these creation fantasies to be real if you really wanted scientific answers to questions.

You do know that the Earth wouldn't have time to cool down from a molten state in just 6,000 years?

It took about 200 million years for Earth to cool enough to have solid crust.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-07-2015, 01:56 PM
(20-07-2015 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If Pluto is billions of years old shouldn't its atmosphere have all been lost a long time ago? The fact that it still has an atmosphere supports the belief that is was created only a few thousand years ago.
Great question. We'll have to wait and find out what the scientists have to say regarding Pluto once they have more data.

Are you willing to place some monetary bets?
My money would be on Pluto being over 10,000 years old, anywhere from 10,000 years to 6 billion years, you can bet on it being younger than 10,000 years. If your bible is TRUTH then it's easy money for you.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
20-07-2015, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 02:24 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Christian: "I don't understand it, and it seems odd to me, so it must be GODDIDIT!"

Scientist: "What I don't understand, I look into more closely before forming an opinion."

Christian: "You mean you don't KNOW!? Therefore GODDIDIT!"

Scientist: "Have you taken your medication?"

Edit to Add: If you actually want to know the latest on Pluto, I recommend reading the blog of Emily Lakdawala, a researcher with the Planetary Society, who keeps an excellent blog on space happenings including Pluto's latest info and how to understand it.

[Image: nerdist_post_marsparty.jpg]
She's also in my top five hottest female scientists list... but that's a personal issue. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-07-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm about the furthest thing away from being an astrophysics but I don't understand why a planet wouldn't have some kind of atmosphere.

Can one of you science geeks out there explain how a planet could have zero atmosphere. What's the definition of an atmosphere.

Curious but artsy-fartsy minds want to learn. Smartass

Thanks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Atmosphere happens when there's enough gravity to pull the particles back to surround the surface of the planet, instead of being blown away by solar wind (particles flying out of the sun at REALLY high speed, causing the lovely tails of the comets that always point away from the sun) or just escaping of their own high velocity.

Atmosphere is replaced through volcanic venting, outgassing from subterranean chemical reactions, and/or newly-exposed surface ices that sublimate (evaporate without going through liquid phase), on planets with geological activity.

As pointed out, since Pluto is basically a GIANT comet, the whole thing would have to evaporate before that stopped happening. It'd be something of a shock if it had no atmosphere (between escaping from the surface-ice-lock and escaping off into space) at all, but the density of the atmosphere was the shock. They need a LOT more data before they can pin down anything solid. S'why I recommend Emily's blog about it. She puts it in terms anyone can understand.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Addendum: You'll note that the size of the atmosphere of a planet has a lot to do with its gravity level. Jupiter has the most mass and the most atmosphere (since most of the planet is indeed gas...just a LOT of it, enough to make that much gravity).

Venus, which is roughly (82% of) our planetary mass, has roughly our level of atmosphere, but is trapped in a runaway greenhouse effect that makes the conditions there very different! (Venus' atmosphere is much denser than ours, but that has to do with its composition being mostly CO2.)

Interestingly, Mars (at 1/3 our mass) seems to be right at the limit, retaining an atmosphere only 1% of ours despite a similar spin rate... the centrifugal effect of a planet's rotation is one of the main reasons gas gets enough "velocity" to escape.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-07-2015, 10:09 PM
(20-07-2015 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
Quote:New Horizons has discovered a region of cold, dense ionized gas tens of thousands of miles beyond Pluto -- the planet’s atmosphere being stripped away by the solar wind and lost to space. Beginning an hour and half after closest approach, the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument observed a cavity in the solar wind -- the outflow of electrically charged particles from the Sun -- between 48,000 miles (77,000 km) and 68,000 miles (109,000 km) downstream of Pluto. SWAP data revealed this cavity to be populated with nitrogen ions forming a “plasma tail” of undetermined structure and length extending behind the planet.
http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

If Pluto is billions of years old shouldn't its atmosphere have all been lost a long time ago? The fact that it still has an atmosphere supports the belief that is was created only a few thousand years ago.

[Image: Idontknow_zps13ecfc56.jpeg]
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
20-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Quote:since most of the planet is indeed gas...just a LOT of it,

Equally true of creatards.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post