Podcast #114 - I Live With A Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Podcast #114 - I Live With A Believer

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Podcast #114 - I Live With A Believer
Found this awesome picture that goes with the theme of this podcast:

[Image: SfS-newsletter-April.jpg]

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 2 users Like Scully's post
26-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I have slightly different issue with a related believer. My daughter was raised to think for herself. Until a couple of years ago, that seemed to be working out well. She has a great imagination and wrote some award winning stories. She got an English degree (probably a bad move Smile ) and started spending most of her time with SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). Harmless fun, we thought, although she seemed to be putting it ahead of developing a career and maintaining her marriage (which still seems to be ok thanks to her long-suffering husband). In the last 6 months or so, she has decided to re-connect with her "spiritual side" and her Jewish heritage by joining a liberal synagogue. She has declared her longer term ambition is to become a rabbi (something allowed in her particular shul -- contrary to the commands of the Old Testament). My wife and I are both atheists but she was raised to honor the holidays and traditions of my wife's Jewish background. So much for "honoring your father and mother", eh? Smile Anyway it seems in her case the driving force was her need to have a community. Since she's grown up, I've hooked up with a secular humanist organization which does provide that to some extent. Maybe if we had been more socially active and didn't leave her as an adult with the impression that she had been "raised by wolves", we might have prevented this development.

I'm encouraged to see the rise of "The Sunday Assembly" and things like Jerry DeWitt's Atheist Congregation. Those organizations are, as Sanderson Jones of "The Sunday Assembly" says, like having a shoe (religion) with stones in it (God and dogma) and basically discarding the stones of God belief and dogma from the shoe of religion without throwing out the shoe of community development and mutual emotional support. Maybe if these had been around when my daughter was coming out of Univ., she might have felt less pressured to believe the unbelievable in order to have an emotionally supportive community. Maybe the success of the Christian traditions based Sunday Assembly will lead to the development of similar Atheist assemblies based on Jewish and Muslim traditions and rituals. That would be a great way to peel people away from the destructive dogmas infesting their religions, further isolate the fundamentalists, and lure their emotionally tortured children away.

The other great benefit of these Atheist Churches (btw, this would be great topic for a Thinking Atheist podcast) is that it provides career opportunities for talented hot air salespeople beyond the burgeoning podcast world in which they could use their talents for good instead of evil. As more people graduate from The Clergy Project, it would be wonderful if they had Atheist Churches to go to and/or the ability to set them up maybe even in their former parishes.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
27-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Having atheist churches would imply we had some claim though I would think? I'd rather refer to them as rational conferences lol. Plus I'd think we do better with a conversation based system, not one guy spewing a "cure-all" ideology

Resurrect Hitchens
27-06-2013, 07:55 PM
(27-06-2013 06:08 PM)SalientMonkey Wrote:  Having atheist churches would imply we had some claim though I would think? I'd rather refer to them as rational conferences lol. Plus I'd think we do better with a conversation based system, not one guy spewing a "cure-all" ideology

Right, they don't actually call themselves Atheist churches. The press automatically does, though, because the assembled people try to sing in some approximation of unison and the whole thing is kinda upbeat, but instead of a sermon based on superstitious nonsense, they have someone speaking on some science topic.

It isn't for everyone, but for those who have lost their faith, but miss the social atmosphere and emotional connection of church, it sounds like a great idea. It could serve to peel more doubters or people in denial about their doubts away from their vicious, hateful dogma based churches.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
28-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Sounds interesting. Have to enjoy media sensationalism.

Resurrect Hitchens
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Great topic Seth, thanks for another excellent PodCast. If I hadn't been traveling, I might've called in for this one. My wife of 14 years is a believer, and our road has had its fair share of challenges, not least of which is the question of what to teach our three children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Podcast #127 - Jehovah's Witnesses Hughsie 3 526 15-08-2014 06:38 PM
Last Post: Northern Skeptic
  Podcast #178 - A Wedding Gift Beyond Belief Hughsie 0 24 15-08-2014 06:35 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
  Podcast #177 - Parenting Without God Hughsie 0 21 15-08-2014 06:35 PM
  Podcast #173 - The Psychology of Belief Hughsie 0 51 05-08-2014 10:37 PM
  Podcast #172 - Dying with Dignity (with Wanda Morris) Hughsie 5 111 04-08-2014 07:47 AM
Last Post: Dom
  Podcast #171 - Questions and Suggestions Hughsie 0 56 21-07-2014 08:11 PM
  Podcast #170 - Seth Andrews: The Ultimate Question Hughsie 0 67 11-07-2014 11:01 PM