Podcast #118 - Clash From The Past

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Podcast #118 - Clash From The Past

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Podcast #118 - Clash From The Past
What an infuriating show. What was the point? Also, who is David Stephens having as his guest on The Thinking Atheist next week?
[+] 1 user Likes KHelf's post
17-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Pretty hefty show.

Somewhere half way through the guest states: If you credit mankind with all the good stuff done by humanity, you have to credit mankind with all the bad stuff too.
Seth went into this.
But the short answer was: Yes, ofcourse. Every one makes their own choice and takes their own actions.

At around the 1:58:00 mark the guest asks:
"People are born into religion and then discover atheism. How do you know you are right now?"
The answer that came to me was: Because the opposite has never happened.
Someone who is religious can become a-religious, even when they have never come into contact with other a-religious people.
But no-one who is a-religious has never become for instance a christian without hearing about christianity.
Simple example: no one from those uncontacted tribes of people in South America has discovered Jesus Christ. Jesus has never revealed himself to them.
Because he does not exist.
So because they have never heard this fiction, they cannot believe it.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
17-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I remember listening to a previous podcast (most likely the one immediately preceding this one) in which Seth was talking about his former Christian radio boss coming on to TTA as a guest. In this particular blurb about the upcoming podcast, Seth said something along the lines of, "you can't bring the same old tired arguments." Lo and frickin' behold, this man's guest spot on TTA is a veritable litany (the greatest hits, as Seth calls it) of the same old, entirely ignorant, arguments. To quote Hitch, "You give me the awful impression of, I hate to say it, of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position, ever." Seth, you have "the patience of Job" to put up with people like this. Infuriating.
17-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I got pretty frustrated listening to him use the story of Lucifer to make points. The problem I'm having is that the story is apocryphal. I'm not really sure where the whole devil falling to earth thing comes from; maybe Dante?

Perhaps someone else knows.

Anyway, here is the one place the word appears in the bible:

Quote:14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Quote: (14:12) Lucifer, son of the morning
This is the only verse in the bible that mentions Lucifer. Although most Christians consider Lucifer to be Satan (the devil), there is little biblical justification for doing so. In this verse "Lucifer" refers to the king of Babylon (Nebuchadrezzar?) and Lucifer (the light bearer) is also called the "son of the morning" or morning star. The only other person that is referred to in that way is Jesus (Rev.22:16). Does this mean that Lucifer is Jesus?

That was from the Skeptic's Annotated Bible.

Kind of ironically, it's a scriptural reference, because the speaker is culturally educated. Just like we refer to people as The Prodigal Son.

Context

Quote:14:4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!
17-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Wow...I have no words. Except I call bullshit on his, David's, main point. I've already had plenty of moments of total desperation. No god was needed to help me along!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

17-07-2013, 08:32 PM
About halfway through the chat room lit up with shouts "BRING BACK RAY COMFORT!!!!"

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
17-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh my holyfuck! I am right in the middle of this one right now and I think my brain is going to explode! I need to walk away and decompress for a bit and perhaps come back to it tomorrow. There's only so much bullshit I can fit in my head at a time and this guy has maxed that limit out.

18-07-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm only 30 minutes into this and already so frustrated with this guy that I likely won't make it the full 145.

But I'm curious: did he ever sufficiently explain how Christianity and the Christian Religion are different things? He's made this claim multiple times and I never felt like I understood why this would be the case.
18-07-2013, 08:23 AM
(18-07-2013 08:17 AM)AndyWanKenobi Wrote:  I'm only 30 minutes into this and already so frustrated with this guy that I likely won't make it the full 145.

But I'm curious: did he ever sufficiently explain how Christianity and the Christian Religion are different things? He's made this claim multiple times and I never felt like I understood why this would be the case.

No. I slogged through the whole thing and by the end he was dancing around Seth and tripping over his own feet. He contradicted himself many times, put words in Seth's mouth and created so many strawmen it looked like an audition for the Wizard of Oz.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like ivaneus's post