Podcast #119 - Secular Parenting with Dale McGowan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Podcast #119 - Secular Parenting with Dale McGowan

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 09:49 PM
RE: Podcast #120 - Hope After Faith
This is a comment on episode 120 which doesn't have a topic yet. Maybe Hughsie could move it when 120 is a thread.

I've been an atheist since about age 8 or 9 and I absolutely do not take offense at Jerry (or Seth) when they preach atheism after the style of preaching religion and using their considerable talents to evoke an emotional response. I think that Jerry's Atheist congregation and The Sunday Assembly are wonderful developments. There is nothing wrong with being emotionally connected with our fellow humans. When Jerry did his preaching presentation at last year's FFRF convention, it was taken by most of us as kind of a joke, but beneath that was genuine emotion and joy that such a talented person has turned his talents toward promoting human social progress and away from his former anti-progress dogma. Kudos to Dan Barker and Jerry for their incredibly positive work with The Clergy Project.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
28-07-2013, 02:45 PM
RE: Podcast #119 - Secular Parenting with Dale McGowan
I've mentioned before that I participate in and moderate a forum for doubting and former Jehovah's Witnesses.

The topic of parenting children when one partner is a believer and the other one has become "apostate" is one that comes up over and over again, with a lot of children being taught to disrespect the non-believing ("apostate") parent directly from the upper echelons of the belief system. In fact, they have published in their periodicals things such as the belief that apostates are "mentally diseased", that they are under the control of Satan the Devil, that they are going to be destroyed by Jehovah at Armageddon, that they should be shunned even if they are members of the same household.

This attitude toward "apostates" is one of the most distressing things about exiting from the Jehovah's Witnesses. People become alienated from their JW family members - parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins, and even their own children are taught and expected to treat "disfellowshipped" (kicked out), "disassociated" (resigned) and even "inactive" (poor attendance at Kingdom Hall "meetings", failure to participate in door-to-door ministry) individuals as though they no longer exist. Past publications by the Watchtower Society use the phrase "dead to us" in describing how former members are viewed.

I thought this podcast on Secular Parenting was absolutely brilliant in helping the non-believing parent instill critical thinking skills in their children, and I gave it a glowing recommendation to a mom who is trying to slowly extricate herself, without creating too much conflict with her JW husband and their children, as well as extended JW family members.

Just wanted to let Seth and Dale know that this mom genuinely appreciated this podcast in particular. She's not even sure what she believes or doesn't believe right now, but was grateful to learn that there is a way to raise children without the religious construct, and still have them turn out to be moral, ethical individuals. I hope she'll become a regular listener. Smile

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)